Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,212 times

Advertisements

OK. So I basically grew up on Long Island. Loved it, but always wanted adventure! So I have lived in New Zealand, Hawaii, Canada, and now LA. Not liking LA. Don't get me wrong it has a lot to offer from the parks, gardens, beaches, museums, amusement parks, zoos, etc. But I am so tired of the traffic, every shopping plaza feeling like it is Christmas every month of the year, and a really hard time making and keeping friends. Besides, I miss the rest of my family. So, I am thinking about moving my family back to Long Island. Am I just giving up and leaving all the adventure in my life for good, or will this move be the smartest thing for all of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 AM

517 posts, read 2,485,874 times
I think that is the kind of question that you can only answer for yourself. It looks like you know the pros and cons. As for the idea of leaving adventure behind, I believe that adventure is a spirit inside of you. You take it wherever you go and find it in whatever you choose to do. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:41 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voca View Post
OK. So I basically grew up on Long Island. Loved it, but always wanted adventure! So I have lived in New Zealand, Hawaii, Canada, and now LA. Not liking LA. Don't get me wrong it has a lot to offer from the parks, gardens, beaches, museums, amusement parks, zoos, etc. But I am so tired of the traffic, every shopping plaza feeling like it is Christmas every month of the year, and a really hard time making and keeping friends. Besides, I miss the rest of my family. So, I am thinking about moving my family back to Long Island. Am I just giving up and leaving all the adventure in my life for good, or will this move be the smartest thing for all of us?
Well if malls and shopping are the reasons you'd move back here you better re-check your life's priorities. Can't keep friends there? People are the same where ever you are...maybe you should think more about why you're not keeping friends...only you can really find the answer to that one if you look deeply inside yourself and keep it honest.
Being close to family I can understand if thats truly a reason. Sometimes distance and occasional visits is what keeps the family together ...depends how close you "really" are.
Personally I'd keep the adventure option open. What was wrong with New Zealand? I'd have moved there...I checked it out like crazy a year or so ago but apparently they make it almost impossible to move there for anyone over the age of 50 unless you keep a million dollars in their bank (true) or have a job sponsor that is part of their acceptable job list they post for you. I think they don;t want people retiring there and leaching off of their economy when one offers them nothing to build their economy.

You might consider renting (sublet?) out the house you live in now and come back here and rent for several months and see how it feels.
Be well and good luck
andy

Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,547,629 times
Well, I you ever think you are coming home, the next year is the time to do it if you are buying a house. Life is quick and in the end all we have is family and friends, the rest is just "stuff". Good luck!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:07 PM

5 posts, read 15,148 times
This is something no one can answer for you. But I also left LI for a number of years worked and traveled abroad as well as all over the US and came back to NY about a year ago. And I personally can't stand it here now. I love long island to visit, it will always be my home, but I am looking to leave here again soon. This is a very personal thing I think because many people love it here. I for one remember a different Long Island that seems to be gone for me. Its overpriced, too much traffic and people are..I'm not sure what word..maybe clickish. My fiance has had trouble making new friends other than people she's met through me and I haven't met that many people other than people I grew up with. Everywhere we've been we never had trouble making a new circle of friends. I grew up on the water and even that's overcrowded. It seems to be rough out when theres no wind due just to boat traffic.
This is all just personal opinion, of course there are many great things about Long Island and Many great people - just not for me.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:25 AM

242 posts, read 759,681 times
Default it depends

i'm not sure how long it has been since you lived on long island, but things have gotten much more crowded, much more expensive, and dirtier. I've lived here my whole life, and i must say it's just gotten worse and worse. I'm not saying its horrible, but everyday, for the reasons listed above, i just want to leave. i can't stand crowds everywhere, it's too much. and the prices are ridiculous, and in my opinion you dont even get much for your prices.

If this is what will make or break your decision to move back here or not, then i'd say no, you should find somewhere else to live.

But, if you have family and friends here, well, then its up to you. i can't say that for sure.

if your looking for places that are similar to long island, in terms of shopping, suburbs, cities, but cheaper, you may be interested in...

-Chicago and it's suburbs (much cheaper, and veryy nice)
-Upstate a little bit (not too far up)
-new jersey (im not quite sure, but i think it may be a little bit cheaper)
-florida (miami or west palm beach)

these places are all quite cheaper, and you would probably find the quality of living much higher than long island.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,662 times
Default Agree except

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3512 View Post
-Chicago and it's suburbs (much cheaper, and veryy nice)
-Upstate a little bit (not too far up)
-new jersey (im not quite sure, but i think it may be a little bit cheaper)
-florida (miami or west palm beach)
I agree that this is a very personal decision, and I always try to mention in my posts that long island varies a great deal across the shores and from east to west, but in a "two cents" response to your list, I would have to put Miami/Palm Beach at the top of my list in epitomizing the things you find frustrating about LI. Totally agree on Chicago though.
Good luck OP.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:01 PM

168 posts, read 481,279 times
Quote:

NO!!! I don't know how long its been since you have been here, but you wont recogize it!! I have been here all my life and I am Flying south!
I will keep the memories dear to my heart.
My advice to you is to think about the real reason for moving back?
GOOD LUCK

Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM

939 posts, read 2,682,282 times
Quote:
If you're complaining about traffic & shopping plazas, why would you consider moving to LI? You'll commit suicide w/in 6 months.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,658,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
If you're complaining about traffic & shopping plazas, why would you consider moving to LI? You'll commit suicide w/in 6 months.
Have you been to LA??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: