Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 14,278 times

Advertisements

We have been going to open houses for the last one month or so. We saw a couple of houses which had more bathrooms and bedrooms than advertised or with garage converted to something else. Needless to say, they were done without permits. (Nassau County land records show differently). And they have been on the market for a while. I guess everyone is staying away from those. We would stay away from those but we like the house with 1/4 of the garage space converted to an office.

If we are to submit an offer to the house, we would have the seller to get it up to code (whether getting rid of the office or getting it legalized.) Or would it be easier to buy low (hopefully) and fix it ourselves? From what I read in other threads, it seems like a lot of work (and money). Or can we keep hiding it? I have no idea what “getting up to code” involves. The house is located in an incorporated village.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 02:55 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
It all depends on the lender you're using. If you're paying cash then it makes no difference "code" wise.

Some mortgage lenders are worse than others. I just bought a house with a completely finished basement with a kitchen and bathroom that had no permits, and my lender didn't care one bit.

My old house that I bought had the garage converted to a gym, and that lender didn't care either. I turned it back to a garage and no one needed to be alerted.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:36 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Hard to say it is really a crap shoot. Some lenders care, others don't. Also sometimes (read not always) villages can be worse than the towns when it comes to stuff like this. If you can get the homeowner to legalize or return to original form that would be the best solution of all.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
My house is being listed t minus 3.5 weeks. We have a full basement bath. We are being upfront we are not legalizing it. It will be take it as is if the lender has a issue we will remove it. House is being priced w/o the extra bathroom. I purchased it like this 3 years ago my lender didn't care.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:29 PM

23 posts, read 18,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
We have been going to open houses for the last one month or so. We saw a couple of houses which had more bathrooms and bedrooms than advertised or with garage converted to something else. Needless to say, they were done without permits. (Nassau County land records show differently). And they have been on the market for a while. I guess everyone is staying away from those. We would stay away from those but we like the house with 1/4 of the garage space converted to an office.

If we are to submit an offer to the house, we would have the seller to get it up to code (whether getting rid of the office or getting it legalized.) Or would it be easier to buy low (hopefully) and fix it ourselves? From what I read in other threads, it seems like a lot of work (and money). Or can we keep hiding it? I have no idea what “getting up to code” involves. The house is located in an incorporated village.

Thanks.
Speak to your attorney. The advice you will get here varies widely on the topic. The truth of the matter is that each situation varies greatly depending on town, bank, type of modification, purchase type/down payment, appraisal, seller, and a bunch of other crap. Your attorney should give you the best advice on a case by case / situation by situation basis.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:22 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
1/4 garage conversion. If you finally found the house you like it, buy it. Knocking out the office, if you ever need to, will cost very little money.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 14,278 times
Thank you, everyone.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:22 AM

63 posts, read 152,277 times
A contractor recommended that I legally finish a basement because it adds value to the house when it comes time to sell. I'm. It sure I'm sold on that theory, while it may add some value (I've heard that a finished basement adds only about $10,000 of value) the permit fees and years of higher taxes mean you pay more in the long run than the extra $10k you'll get when you sell. Furthermore, some people may prefer buying a house with a finished basement that doesn't have a CO because they know that it keeps their taxes down, and they may feel that they are getting a deal since it theoretically isn't factored into the asking price.

I could be completely wrong, but there are a ton of opinions out there on the subject, and this is just mine.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:58 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Your contractor wants you to do it because he needs the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island