Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
Hi, my family will need to relocate to Long Island within the next year. We currently live in a small town where my older kids can walk/bike to locations on their own (library, playground, school, stores). I was leaning towards Dix Hills on "paper" because I liked a lot of its stats, but driving through the area yesterday I could see it's not very walkable to anything. Can anyone recommend towns where kids can bike to places safely on their own? My kids are used to having a lot of independent mobility. Would like good schools, housing prices more like Dix Hills than Jericho, and a decent Asian population (preferably at least 10%). My husband will be working in the North Hempstead area. Thanks in advance!
I'm in Stony Brook, walking/bicycling distance to the village, park, harbor, stores, LIRR, and the university -- which as some decent bike paths. The schools are good and according to the 2017 NY report cards, there are approximately 10% Asian students. This has gradually increased. Several of my neighbors are either Chinese or Japanese -- the university and hospital have helped lure a more diverse population to our area.

BUT -- as others have mentioned -- bicycling on LI isn't as safe as it is in areas off LI. My children walked to a number of places -- some areas in Stony Brook have sidewalks which take us from our home to the spots I mentioned at the start of this post. You will see many people out walking on a nice day.

The big question where will you need to commute? While I love Stony Brook, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has to go into Manhattan every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 03:00 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,616 times
Our family can walk to the supermarket. Bakery. 7-11. Pizza. Dry cleaners. Bar. Barber. And a bunch of empty store fronts here in saint james. Plenty of kids bike here to the playground and their friends homes. Library is too far. There’s a lot of potential for this place to get better and things are looking up.

Surprisingly. You can walk into Asian people on a normal day too. But most of them work in the Chinese restaurant. Nail salon. Etc.

But all moot. Too far of a commute for your husband.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:32 PM

731 posts, read 725,281 times
[quote=loveithateit;52011050]

Surprisingly. You can walk into Asian people on a normal day too. But most of them work in the Chinese restaurant. Nail salon. Etc. =QUOTE]

Whew...I thought you were going to add laundromat too.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 PM

49 posts, read 40,350 times
Not all Asians are Chinese....

Old 05-26-2018, 07:09 PM

191 posts, read 591,265 times
Yikes. Okay. How dare I ask for a town with some sort of Asian population?
Anyway...
It looks like I can't find it all but am interested in hearing descriptions of towns where kids can walk/bike to at least a store or two. Came across these towns in my research, would anyone mind giving input on what any of them are like?
Northport
Centerport
Huntington
Greenlawn
Babylon

Old 05-26-2018, 10:15 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Biking to stores is probably easier in Nassau County.

Valley Stream has bikes racks at the library and the train station. Library, post office, stores are all within close range.
Significant Indian population, smaller East Asian population. There are a few stores that cater to southeast Asians, including a woman's clothing store, eyebrow threading, Hallal restaurant.

Merrick doesn't have a huge Asian population, but depending where you live, kids can bike to stores and the library. Same for Bellmore and kids can bike to the movie theater.

Depending on location of house, Oceanside, maybe.

Manhasset has a sizable Asian population and a very nice "downtown." Depends where you live if your kids can bike to that area.

Biking in Bergen County? It's really hilly and parts are very urban and dense. I have property in one of the Bergen County towns and no way, I could I bike around there. We take our bikes and put them on the back of the car and drive to a park to go bike riding. I can't imagine biking to the Paramus Mall.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:56 AM

191 posts, read 591,265 times
I think I need to drive through different towns to get a feel for the layout. Maybe I should get recommendations for street areas to drive through for each recommended town? Like the central town area and a residential section?

Yeah, Paramus isn't really bikable for anyone. You need one of the smaller towns that don't get much out of town traffic.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:06 AM

731 posts, read 725,281 times
Just move to Little Fuzhou, Brooklyn. Problem solved.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:24 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I grew up in Huntington and we rode our bikes into town all the time as a kid, again would not let my kids do it today if we lived there. Northport is very nice, not sure about bikability, again lots of roads with no sidewalks, narrow, combined with distracted drivers, etc. Probably a tad too far for your husband to have a 30 minute commute.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:14 AM

402 posts, read 518,908 times
Reading your description makes me think of Oyster Bay. If you live close enough to town, you can walk and bike anywhere. I see kids on their bikes all the time so it’s definitely a common thing around here. Library, food, playgrounds are all within the main town. Syosset is next door and that has a healthy Asian population if you’re looking for places of worship etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island