Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 03:30 PM

7 posts, read 6,719 times

Advertisements

seller was asked to paint the garage door in order to get the CO. The closing has already been cancelled once and once he does the work we can close. What happens if he doesnt do the work and there is no Co for the house?? Can i cancel the deal?? How long does the seller have to make these repairs?? I gave a large deposit that has been in escrow over a month now. Also i had to pay rent for my current apartment due to delays.. help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM

397 posts, read 516,089 times
I dont understand how a CO is held up because of a garage door paint job. What town actually requires this for a CO?

Old 07-01-2018, 05:41 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times
A paint job is not a repair and there’s no way this would hold up a closing.

There has to be more to it. Even an FHA Loan wouldn’t mandate such a thing.

If for some wacky reason you still stand by this being a roadblock, go buy yourself a can of paint for $15 and paint it in the middle of the night. Wacky problem deserves a wacky solution.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:46 PM

exactly what i'm thinking.... the sellers agent told this to my agent..I feel something else is going on. I don't know what to do. calling my attorney tomorrow, house is in plainfield Nj.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:48 PM

Plainfield Nj

Old 07-01-2018, 08:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
May want to consult the New JERSEY forum...

Old 07-01-2018, 09:09 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
A paint job is not a repair and there’s no way this would hold up a closing.

There has to be more to it. Even an FHA Loan wouldn’t mandate such a thing.

If for some wacky reason you still stand by this being a roadblock, go buy yourself a can of paint for $15 and paint it in the middle of the night. Wacky problem deserves a wacky solution.
Actually, with FHA loans there are issues with peeling paint. If the paint on the garage door (or anywhere else) is peeling, they want it painted before closing. I've had a deal like that. Only in my sellers case, it was February, the peeling paint was on an outside window, and the seller had to keep money in escrow at closing (150% of the estimate) till it was warm enough to take care of it.

But peeling paint has nothing to do with a CO.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:14 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Actually, with FHA loans there are issues with peeling paint. If the paint on the garage door (or anywhere else) is peeling, they want it painted before closing. I've had a deal like that. Only in my sellers case, it was February, the peeling paint was on an outside window, and the seller had to keep money in escrow at closing (150% of the estimate) till it was warm enough to take care of it.

But peeling paint has nothing to do with a CO.
We used a VA loan, and they required the seller to paint one of the garage walls and add balusters to the basement stairs before they would sign off on the deal.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:58 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
We used a VA loan, and they required the seller to paint one of the garage walls and add balusters to the basement stairs before they would sign off on the deal.
VA & HUD are definitely a different animal! Some crazy stuff....

OP......get your attorney to light some fires to get the deal moving!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:50 AM

718 posts, read 620,595 times
Why can't the new buyer just paint the door. Seems so trivial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: