Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:00 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I've been half sarcastically throwing the communism thing around for years.
Eye rolls and conspiracy nut responses.
Thing is, it's actually happening. Every day we lose a slice of freedom.
Every single day some new law is created that takes away freedom.
People are just too dumb or too wrapped up in their own little bubble to take notice or care.
Or too busy working to pay to live on LI!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
If it was up to me we would abolish counties and just have states and towns. Besides the 1500 tax parasites who would care if the useless entities called Nassau and Suffolk counties just disbanded and disappeared ?

Interesting concept and I can see where you are coming from. Still see problems with the idea.

The towns are just as corrupt and bloated as the counties. Venditto, Skelos, Mangano, Silver... it's at all levels of government. Elimination of one level just shuffles the pieces around the board.

Not likely much, if any money gets saved. The same functions are needed for the same amount of people. It's like the "consolidate the school districts" talk - you may save a few admins, but you still need the same amount of teachers/classrooms because you are still enrolling the same amount of kids.

I'm a fan of local control. However, that does need some sort of balance to keep things in check. When things get too local, it can be like a nightmare HOA. Personal politics plays a big part and things can get very nasty.

At the county level, a resident can remain anonymous.

At the town and village levels, you are more likely to know someone in "power." If they "like" you, great. If they don't, your life can become a hell. You either march lockstep or you are on the outside. I've seen enough of local politics over the years to believe any different.

The system is broken. I don't believe the solution is to abolish the system. I'd rather find a way to fix it.

Term limits, criminal penalties with loss of pension for politicians who violate their oath of office, real enforcement of ethics violations, fixing the board of elections scam so we can get legitimate candidates on the ballot, the list goes on. Unfortunately, the legislators who could make this happen are the ones who would lose their job if they did.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 AM

166 posts, read 313,848 times
The idea is not as radical as you might think. I know in Mass. (maybe all of New England) counties exist only as court districts. They don't have a parks dept., a DPW, or even Police, as far as I know. Government is either at the town level or the state level For example, Wellesley, MA has its own police dept., AS does the State of Mass., but Norfolk County does not. Local control over local problems - how American. And this in a very liberal state

Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:

On a local level theoretically people have more control of whats going on. Waste like above can be cut.
It would help if you identified the picture by location and the job titles of those depicted and what is being examined. Was it even taken on Long Island?

Old 07-30-2018, 12:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
We already have River Head South Hampton police , just copy that structure for the remaining towns.

We could cut their numbers in half if we stopped the war on fun and just policed like we did pre 1990. It was not until the 90s the public became the enemy.

Like the latest from NJ, beating that woman on the beach who defied police state America by drinking at the beach. Who cares if young people drink at the beach ? We did it without any hassle what so ever at their age. We did it and now our generation allows police to harass them ? Hypocritical.

Amerika where we beat down 20 year old women if we suspect alcohol consumption. Disgusting what we have become.
Wrong forum for complaining about New Jersey. Try to stay on topic.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
I'm all for small government.
Townships suck. Being incorporated and have control of your own slice is the way to go.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:26 PM

247 posts, read 181,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Wrong forum for complaining about New Jersey. Try to stay on topic.

The tri state area is all the same cesspool and I was talking about the poop.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:28 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I live under a county government and school system both work great but if you don't reform the corruption that is inherent with any form of NYS government then nothing will improve.

Good Luck

Old 07-31-2018, 05:54 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
This reply to another post inspired the topic.

If it was up to me we would abolish counties and just have states and towns. Besides the 1500 tax parasites who would care if the useless entities called Nassau and Suffolk counties just disbanded and disappeared ?

Every town town now has more people then counties had when they were invented. Counties are obsolete because towns all have enough people now.

Or maybe even better just get rid of the greatest collection of scum the earth has ever seen, that entity called "The State Of New York" and make each county like its own state.
How does one abolish counties? Wave a wand? Read a decree? What would happen to the unincorporated areas? Folks living in those areas would have no local police, and the roads would not be plowed in the winter, to name just two things the county currently has responsibility.

I, too, believe there are many duplicative services that might be eliminated or consolidated but, why would you think this a solution? There are villages, cities, and in Nassau, three towns, Hempstead, North Hempstead and Oyster Bay. I wish you weren't stuck with this structure but I believe you are.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:35 AM

14 posts, read 13,182 times
Long Island:

Built by politicians for public servants.

If you ain't on the teet, it's not worth it to live there.

Most don't figure it out until after they've made the jump. The ones that stay are either upside down on their mortgage or in complete denial.

Anyone considering moving there should read this and let it sink in. It's remarkably accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island