Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:59 PM

20,176 posts, read 20,962,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Yes, I'm sure that Fidel Castro and Nicolas Maduro collaborated to design Nassau's tax assessment system.
Indirectly yes. They are(were) part of the machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 04:10 PM

577 posts, read 981,526 times
Curran gets cute by changing the assessed value level from .25% to .10%! Therefore Nassau County can now disregard NYS law that limits yearly assessment increases to 6% and the five year increases 20%(max)!

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ent-1.21270683

Old 09-26-2018, 06:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,514,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Curran gets cute by changing the assessed value level from .25% to .10%! Therefore Nassau County can now disregard NYS law that limits yearly assessment increases to 6% and the five year increases 20%(max)!

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ent-1.21270683
Have to see more details of the plan to see how it winds up rolling out, however the current system is absolutely completely broken beyond repair and any fix is going to be painful.

Town of Oyster Bay Supervisor Joe Saladino lives in a bayfront home in the Nassau Shores he purchased for $740,000 in 2003, the current assessed value is $456,000....

Who do you think is paying for the fact that a home now likely worth $1,000,000 + is assessed in the 450's?

Old 09-27-2018, 05:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,911,155 times
We really need to GTFO of Dodge. When taxes suddenly go up by a large magnitude, who would want our property anymore? We're left holding the bag. It's not like they can adjust them down to help us even if they wanted to. < 10 years can't come soon enough. Time for my family to break this cycle for ourselves.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:19 PM

352 posts, read 388,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm22 View Post
I dont understand why property taxes are higher for a more expensive house anyway. taxes should be based on location only.

lot size & location of lot.

why should the town collect more or less based on what people put on their land.
Because that is New York State Real Property tax law. This is not a Nassau County phenomenon. According to state law a residential property's assessed value should be based solely on what it would sell for today. If your home would sell for $500K and mine brings $1 million, then my assessment should be exactly double yours. To implement what you suggest would require a complete overhaul of legislation for all NYS.

If assessments were kept up to date there would be very few successful grievances. Nassau's problem is they never properly reassess. You never see such high success rates of grievance in Suffolk. And it has nothing to do with the the towns doing the assessing versus the County, Nassau just does a pizz poor job, or more likely no job at all.

The reason for this situation: it's my belief that reassessment in Nassau became a dirty word with homeowners misunderstanding, and incumbent politicians, fearing the fallout when running for reelection next time around, have been doing nothing for years.

Well, the chickens eventually will come home to roost (probably a court case like in Southampton 25 years ago) and maybe something will be made right or at least better. The grievances are not the problem, they are merely the symptom of the greater underlying deterioration in the assessment system.

Last edited by halberto9; 09-28-2018 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-28-2018, 12:37 PM

352 posts, read 388,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Have to see more details of the plan to see how it winds up rolling out, however the current system is absolutely completely broken beyond repair and any fix is going to be painful.

Town of Oyster Bay Supervisor Joe Saladino lives in a bayfront home in the Nassau Shores he purchased for $740,000 in 2003, the current assessed value is $456,000....

Who do you think is paying for the fact that a home now likely worth $1,000,000 + is assessed in the 450's?
What you say is true only if he is assessed at a lesser percentage of full value then his neighbors. If they are all assessed at similar percentage, then that's OK. You would have to analyze the neighborhood/school district to see if he is unfairly benefiting (not saying he isn't). NYS publishes equalization rates and residential assessment ratios to try to even things out for comparisons between school districts, etc.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,503,780 times
Curran and the liberals are going to stick it to the taxpayers who took the time and effort to fight their assessment.

She's going to reward the typical democrat voting base who failed to fight them.

Basically, she's going to screw the Republican. white, middle-class workers in Nassau.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:46 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,832,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Curran and the liberals are going to stick it to the taxpayers who took the time and effort to fight their assessment.

She's going to reward the typical democrat voting base who failed to fight them.

Basically, she's going to screw the Republican. white, middle-class workers in Nassau.
Except for your usual "da' liburals, da democraps, duh republicans" bleating Fox News sheep crap, I totally agree.

The system is broken fairly for all and the ones who played it exactly right shouldn't be punished. The elephant in the room NEITHER PARTY wants to address is the handouts to the commercial property owners. That's where it started. The law firms were getting the commercial assessments down, passing the tax buck onto homeowners...smart business people they are, they figured let's do the same for homeowners. We ALL got 30 mailers every year saying "save 40-60%" and many took them up on it and others (like me) learned to do it ourselves. Add foreclosures to the mix and the game is even more convoluted because it's about "comparative sales" and in an era of foreclosure it's easy to find low comps if you have half a brain. I legitimately showed my house is worth where it is BASED ON THEIR RULES, comp sales. Now they want to skirt the law and bump it up. It will happen, but if they don't find a way to ease it up super slowly it will be political suicide and a fast housing crash which is already well into bubble zone. Assess the commercial properties first, but we won't dare go there...already giving them big handouts if they promise to add (3) $20k/year jobs at this point...ya know, that great economy BS and all. Wages up 1.2%, Inflation up 3.77%. Consumer debt up 7%.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,341,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Except for your usual "da' liburals, da democraps, duh republicans" bleating Fox News sheep crap, I totally agree.

The system is broken fairly for all and the ones who played it exactly right shouldn't be punished. The elephant in the room NEITHER PARTY wants to address is the handouts to the commercial property owners. That's where it started. The law firms were getting the commercial assessments down, passing the tax buck onto homeowners...smart business people they are, they figured let's do the same for homeowners. We ALL got 30 mailers every year saying "save 40-60%" and many took them up on it and others (like me) learned to do it ourselves. Add foreclosures to the mix and the game is even more convoluted because it's about "comparative sales" and in an era of foreclosure it's easy to find low comps if you have half a brain. I legitimately showed my house is worth where it is BASED ON THEIR RULES, comp sales. Now they want to skirt the law and bump it up. It will happen, but if they don't find a way to ease it up super slowly it will be political suicide and a fast housing crash which is already well into bubble zone. Assess the commercial properties first, but we won't dare go there...already giving them big handouts if they promise to add (3) $20k/year jobs at this point...ya know, that great economy BS and all. Wages up 1.2%, Inflation up 3.77%. Consumer debt up 7%.
Can't always find comp's. My recently sold house went for more than double my assessed value. The cheapest house not a comp since I was 900 sq ft larger and had nearly double the lot size was 240k less than what we sold for. The cheapest comp similar to mine was sold for 180k more then my assessed value. I played by the rules and won. This property is going to get wrecked on the reassessment. Luckily the new owners are Hindu and there Temple "technically" bought it. So they won't be paying any taxes.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:08 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,832,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Can't always find comp's. My recently sold house went for more than double my assessed value. The cheapest house not a comp since I was 900 sq ft larger and had nearly double the lot size was 240k less than what we sold for. The cheapest comp similar to mine was sold for 180k more then my assessed value. I played by the rules and won. This property is going to get wrecked on the reassessment. Luckily the new owners are Hindu and there Temple "technically" bought it. So they won't be paying any taxes.
Agree. As values go up, low comps harder to find. Even the flippers pay too much, but there are still homes being flipped and foreclosed. Enough to keep from an increase if someone does their homework. The difference now is no Mangano and Co. pretty much rubber stamping ANY half-way reasonable challenge. Those days are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island