Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:09 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djackman View Post
That's sort of what started this question - and could be why there's not more of them - couldn't find any experienced installers locally.
I understand what you are saying but my intent was to point out that if there are so few, the reason may be that the level of skillset and requirements of installing such a roof are outside the toolbox of many in the trade.
I would also caution that while it has been quite a while since I have spent a lot of time in Hicksville, I don't recall that many homes have metal roofs. Do you really want your home to stick out like a sore thumb?

Where I live now in Delaware, which is an agricultural state, there a many more metals roofs. That said, I am not seeing them in communities for the most part. The eyebrows are indeed popular but not the entire roof.

Of course, it is possible that cost alone is the reason that many don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 10:11 PM

109 posts, read 96,172 times
What about this ? https://inhabitat.com/forward-labs-n...half-the-time/[/quote]

Not sure if allowed on LI. Check with town. Some make you leave a border around solar panels for venting in case of fire.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:48 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Generally speaking solar panels are only on the sunny sides of the house. Do they have blank planks?

Old 10-25-2018, 06:41 AM

109 posts, read 96,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Generally speaking solar panels are only on the sunny sides of the house. Do they have blank planks?
According to website, yes.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:39 PM
sci

90 posts, read 224,170 times
Default Metal roofing

I live in Hicksville and put a metal roof on my house. It is great looking and should last 50 years or more. I have an older house and the style fits, not sure how it would look on a modern house. I am a contractor and installed it myself. Not overly complicated but you have to follow instructions [ some thing most people can't seem to do today]. I installed standing seam shingles on my house. They are 3 foot pieces as opposed to one single piece, just the style I choose. Made by a company called Atas. I bought them thru ABC supply in Hicksville. Perhaps they could recommend a company to install it for you. The cost is very high but it is something that you will not have to be replacing in you life time in most cases.. My roof does not make any more noise then my shingle roof did. I think it is because that new roofs have full plywood on them as opposed to old roof that had 1x2 purlin strips on them that would create air spaces for the metal to vibrate. If you plan on living in your house for a long time a metal roof is a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island