Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 01:21 PM

166 posts, read 191,181 times

Advertisements

My taxes are about double where they should be.

Is there a maximum amount you can grieve them down to? a certain percentage down?

If you ask for a assessed value that is too low, will they meet you in the middle potentially, or is it a simply yes or no to the amount you request?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 02:30 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm22 View Post

Is there a maximum amount you can grieve them down to? a certain percentage down?

If you ask for a assessed value that is too low, will they meet you in the middle potentially, or is it a simply yes or no to the amount you request?

The max at any one time is 25%.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
The max at any one time is 25%.
so i guess ill shoot for that, if they think they are only 15 or 20% too high, do they just say no to everything or do they still reduce them?

Old 04-11-2019, 03:02 PM

87 posts, read 99,452 times
With the new administration no one knows exactly how it will work.
You need to find comps of houses in your school district that are similar in type, size, bed/bath rooms, etc and see if people are paying more or less than you. There are new amount for 20/21 so make sure you are looking at those.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGlove View Post
With the new administration no one knows exactly how it will work.
You need to find comps of houses in your school district that are similar in type, size, bed/bath rooms, etc and see if people are paying more or less than you. There are new amount for 20/21 so make sure you are looking at those.
what about past ones, in general do they just accept or decline your number or do they come up with their own sometimes?

Old 04-13-2019, 01:05 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:

I am a former LI'er, TNH so I am not 100 in tune with the new system. I do have a few questions for you. You say your taxes are double what they should be. What is that based on? Is that something that you think and believe or is it based upon other homes like yours? Also has you home been without benefit of grievances in the past or have they been filed and approved or denied? Did you renovate the home at all?

All the above will play into what you "may" be able to expect in terms of reductions.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am a former LI'er, TNH so I am not 100 in tune with the new system. I do have a few questions for you. You say your taxes are double what they should be. What is that based on? Is that something that you think and believe or is it based upon other homes like yours? Also has you home been without benefit of grievances in the past or have they been filed and approved or denied? Did you renovate the home at all?

All the above will play into what you "may" be able to expect in terms of reductions.
its based on alot of things.

correct has never been grieved. it was foreclosure, the people stopped paying everything including taxes years and years ago.

i just bought it for xx and the 2021 assessment is xx + 200k over the amount i bought it for. and there is a ton more problems with the home than were none when i closed on it.

I just need to know if im making a huge mistake by asking for more than 20 or 25% b/c they dont consider it or not.

or if they sometimes meet you in the middle or not.

I cant afford to not get them down, even if im still overpaying, i need to get them down 20% min

Old 04-14-2019, 09:32 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
its based on alot of things.

correct has never been grieved. it was foreclosure, the people stopped paying everything including taxes years and years ago.

i just bought it for xx and the 2021 assessment is xx + 200k over the amount i bought it for. and there is a ton more problems with the home than were none when i closed on it.

I just need to know if im making a huge mistake by asking for more than 20 or 25% b/c they dont consider it or not.

or if they sometimes meet you in the middle or not.

I cant afford to not get them down, even if im still overpaying, i need to get them down 20% min
Well, I think your problem is that it was a foreclosure and therefore the taxes were appropriate for the house had it been owned and not defaulted. (note I am not saying maintained). You paid a discounted rate due to the foreclosure status and now are looking at the value as it should be. I am not arguing the costs currently, as I know the taxes are crazy, but rather the rate as it would have been. Try to get it reduced, but I wish you luck and bear in mind if you succeed down the road they will return to what they should be. Sounds like you might have made a mistake if you NEED to get them down, as they will go right back up.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Well, I think your problem is that it was a foreclosure and therefore the taxes were appropriate for the house had it been owned and not defaulted. (note I am not saying maintained). You paid a discounted rate due to the foreclosure status and now are looking at the value as it should be. I am not arguing the costs currently, as I know the taxes are crazy, but rather the rate as it would have been. Try to get it reduced, but I wish you luck and bear in mind if you succeed down the road they will return to what they should be. Sounds like you might have made a mistake if you NEED to get them down, as they will go right back up.
the taxes werent based on it being fixed up, the taxes were just way off, 3 times the surrounding 100 houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: