Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:42 AM

629 posts, read 963,583 times

Advertisements

So I used a tax grievance company for the current 2015-16 year and they got me a sizable decrease (still in process). Now my taxes have come in for 2016-17 year with the March 1 deadline, but since they were calculated a few years ago, the number is basically the same as the pre-grievance amount.

Does it make sense to use the tax grievance company again (and giving them their share), or would it be easier for me to grieve the taxes myself and, more or less, just point to the fact that the county already agreed to reduce my taxes for the current year?

Hope that made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:34 PM

37 posts, read 54,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
So I used a tax grievance company for the current 2015-16 year and they got me a sizable decrease (still in process). Now my taxes have come in for 2016-17 year with the March 1 deadline, but since they were calculated a few years ago, the number is basically the same as the pre-grievance amount.

Does it make sense to use the tax grievance company again (and giving them their share), or would it be easier for me to grieve the taxes myself and, more or less, just point to the fact that the county already agreed to reduce my taxes for the current year?

Hope that made sense.
It sounds like a plan, talk with the grievance company and see what they say. If they do not get a reduction typically they do not get paid anyways. grieve, grieve and grieve again.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
Quote:

Hope that made sense.
Do you mind if I tell you the truth?

What happens is the amount you won after a certain date the Assessor office just picks up your old assessed value. If you grieve yourself you automatically at a minimum will get that new value or less. It is guaranteed.

Your tax guy will tell you to hire him which will get him paid twice for one years reduction.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Do you mind if I tell you the truth?

What happens is the amount you won after a certain date the Assessor office just picks up your old assessed value. If you grieve yourself you automatically at a minimum will get that new value or less. It is guaranteed.

Your tax guy will tell you to hire him which will get him paid twice for one years reduction.
Hi Sandy,

I just want to make sure I fully understand what you're saying.

So, in my case, I used Company X to grieve 2015-16. Let's say my property was assessed at $400k by the county and company X got it reduced to get assessed at $350k. I accepted this amount and will see it reflected in savings over the next few months.

Now, the 2016-17 assessed value has arrived with the opportunity to grieve. It still is listed at $400k assessed, as this was assessed a few years ago, and it was the same amount they assessed for 2015-16 and 2016-17. Are you saying that if I chose to grieve it on my own that the assessor will see that they agreed to $350k for 2015-16 and likely agree to assess me for 2016-17 at $350k as well, without my needing to do too much to prove my case?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Hi Sandy,

I just want to make sure I fully understand what you're saying.

So, in my case, I used Company X to grieve 2015-16. Let's say my property was assessed at $400k by the county and company X got it reduced to get assessed at $350k. I accepted this amount and will see it reflected in savings over the next few months.

Now, the 2016-17 assessed value has arrived with the opportunity to grieve. It still is listed at $400k assessed, as this was assessed a few years ago, and it was the same amount they assessed for 2015-16 and 2016-17. Are you saying that if I chose to grieve it on my own that the assessor will see that they agreed to $350k for 2015-16 and likely agree to assess me for 2016-17 at $350k as well, without my needing to do too much to prove my case?

Thanks.
Yes 99.9999999 guaranteed. I would do it myself this year and if you want hire guy next year. Make him work for it.

They will automatically give you the 350K not the 400K unless they change rules.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:31 PM

BTW like over 95% of people won last year in Nassau. According to ARC folks who did it on their own had a slightly higher win rate. Average reduction was 14%.

If your guy got you less than 14% unless you are a serial griever he sucks.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:30 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
In my experience, the first time I grieved myself and won, the FMV went back to the pre-grievance amount the following year. I grieved that and won again. Now the 3rd year I'm going to grieve, I see that the FMV is at the grieved amount already. So in summary, I didn't see the grieved amount automatically following my first win for the second year. It took 2 years of wins for me to get the FMV to drop automatically.

Either way, grieve yourself. These companies will have you believe it's a lot of work. It's only a lot of work if you are denied and have to challenge it in court. I was denied about 5 years back and skipped a year before trying again and now I'm on a win streak.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:25 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
In my experience, the first time I grieved myself and won, the FMV went back to the pre-grievance amount the following year. I grieved that and won again. Now the 3rd year I'm going to grieve, I see that the FMV is at the grieved amount already. So in summary, I didn't see the grieved amount automatically following my first win for the second year. It took 2 years of wins for me to get the FMV to drop automatically.

Either way, grieve yourself. These companies will have you believe it's a lot of work. It's only a lot of work if you are denied and have to challenge it in court. I was denied about 5 years back and skipped a year before trying again and now I'm on a win streak.
True. My first one I won on appeal. Glad I had a service, no way I'd have time to deal with court stuff.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 AM

481 posts, read 666,263 times
We grieved ourselves and lost. Maybe it's time to hire somebody?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

Thanks. Do you still need to find comparable houses at a lower price every year, or is the process different after the first successful grievance?

I had started to look into grieving myself last year, but the comparable houses I found were not significantly lower than mine. The company I used apparently was able to find better comps (or whatever the process is) to get it reduced as much as they did. As such, I'm a bit concerned that maybe I wouldn't find similar comps this year as well (unless I really just choose houses that are nothing like mine, but just sold for real low).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: