Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,463,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
Thanks. Do you still need to find comparable houses at a lower price every year, or is the process different after the first successful grievance?

I had started to look into grieving myself last year, but the comparable houses I found were not significantly lower than mine. The company I used apparently was able to find better comps (or whatever the process is) to get it reduced as much as they did. As such, I'm a bit concerned that maybe I wouldn't find similar comps this year as well (unless I really just choose houses that are nothing like mine, but just sold for real low).
Just do a query on Redfin of homes that sold in your zipcode and manually enter the best comps in.

also your home for this year should be assessed at 75% of actual market value. So unless your home is assessed at less than 75% of recent sales prices you can grieve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 10:04 AM

11 posts, read 14,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Just do a query on Redfin of homes that sold in your zipcode and manually enter the best comps in.

also your home for this year should be assessed at 75% of actual market value. So unless your home is assessed at less than 75% of recent sales prices you can grieve
so what do you put down as your fair market value when you are grieving your taxes online through ARROW?

Old 02-04-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowl-shark View Post
so what do you put down as your fair market value when you are grieving your taxes online through ARROW?
I manually type my value and then manually type in explanation below.

Then I use redfin for comps as assessor leaves off some comps that may be low.

I type them in at bottom where you can enter in own comps.

of course this is only if you dont have low comps to pick from using assessor tool

Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,914,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
Thanks. Do you still need to find comparable houses at a lower price every year, or is the process different after the first successful grievance?

I had started to look into grieving myself last year, but the comparable houses I found were not significantly lower than mine. The company I used apparently was able to find better comps (or whatever the process is) to get it reduced as much as they did. As such, I'm a bit concerned that maybe I wouldn't find similar comps this year as well (unless I really just choose houses that are nothing like mine, but just sold for real low).
The process is the same but you need to show lower than your newest value, which would be a bigger challenge of course. I've been putting it off and don't know how I'll manage this year, but it can't hurt.

I'll also add this - there's a field that asks for my estimated value (what I think it should be) and they actually gave me even lower than that for the past 2 years. Same with my parents' house that I did for them. I don't know how much the comps entered really weigh into any of it. I just used their site, "checkboxed-in" the comparable houses, and maybe a short blurb of how mine is similar or worse.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:48 AM

do tax grievance companies claim credit for STAR exemptions that typically everyone receives anyway once claimed? I'm looking to hire a company (MPTRG) and am not sure if they would ask for half of the star savings when it comes time to pay them

Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,193,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowl-shark View Post
do tax grievance companies claim credit for STAR exemptions that typically everyone receives anyway once claimed? I'm looking to hire a company (MPTRG) and am not sure if they would ask for half of the star savings when it comes time to pay them

They get paid on assessment reductions, which has nothing to do with STAR.

Each owner occupied house is entitled to the same STAR exemption within the respective School District, regardless of market value or assessed value of the property.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
They get paid on assessment reductions, which has nothing to do with STAR.

Each owner occupied house is entitled to the same STAR exemption within the respective School District, regardless of market value or assessed value of the property.
thanks

Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,504,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
We grieved ourselves and lost. Maybe it's time to hire somebody?
I used Empire Tax Reductions. Knocked mine down $400 so you have to pay them half. If they get nothing or lose you own them nothing. Everything was done by mail.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
I used Empire Tax Reductions. Knocked mine down $400 so you have to pay them half. If they get nothing or lose you own them nothing. Everything was done by mail.
Considering the average home owner got more last year when he did it themselves via Nassau County own stats it sounds like a bad deal. You gave up half of a smaller amount

Old 02-05-2015, 06:51 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,789,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Considering the average home owner got more last year when he did it themselves via Nassau County own stats it sounds like a bad deal. You gave up half of a smaller amount
Nothing wrong with using a tax reduction company. My first time they got mine refuced over a grand on appeal, I never would have went through the court process on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: