Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 01:06 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo1981 View Post
schools. teachers unions.

Theyre powerful and always get the budgets and money that they want.
So vote no on the budget. Then vote in a better school board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avx81 View Post
So for those that are single or in a relationship with no plans of ever having kids should also have to pay these ridiculous taxes. Such an idiotic system.
One way to look at it. That position could be argued to have some validity.

Where it goes wrong:
- "no plans" isn't a valid condition. To be fair, you need to include everyone who doesn't have kids in the public school system... including those who send their kids to private school. I can relate - My kids have been out of public schools for years, but I will still have to pay school taxes until I die.

- I think most would agree that basic education benefits everyone, not only the recipient. If schooling were optional... or worse - only available to those who pay for it, society would be worse off. With schooling we have plenty of ignorant people running around. I can't imagine how bad things would be if they had NO schooling.

- It's no different than so many other taxes we have to pay. I pay more in taxes than some people and there are others who pay more in taxes than I do. There is usually in inverse relationship between the services the goverenment provides vs. taxes paid. Those who pay the least get the most. That's just the way taxes work in our system. Success is penalized.

Property, Income, or something else. The goverenment is going to get money from you to pay for the educational system.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:43 PM

305 posts, read 196,142 times
So Farmingdale for example continuously votes "YES" for their school budgets, superior raises and step increases for their teachers, too many administrators and RNs, sports teams out the ying yang.
These teachers, administrators retire their pension comes out of the state coffers? Am I correct?
Not unlike my position on school district extra-curricular activities (sports, music what have you) you want them to participate you as the parent pick up the cost, i think that the school district residents should be required in perpetuity to pick up the cost of the idiocy of continuously approving their school budgets.
See how fast we take a fiscal conservative approach to the school budget.

Similar topic Farmingdale Village just got a BID grant (business improvement grant) these mopes are celebrating like they have no idea that these grants are coming out of the taxpayer pockets.
Stop the pork!

Old 06-02-2019, 08:21 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
The OP wasn't specific enough- but regardless the answer has just about everything to do with the complete taxation.

Long Island has a pathetic commercial/industrial tax base for a metro area its size.
Thus the incredible burden on homeowners.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:24 PM

198 posts, read 530,236 times
CA has much higher income tax than NY.
NYC also has city income tax which LI does not.
You can't isolate one tax for comparison, you have to aggregate all your taxes out of your income.

California and NYC housing prices are much higher and a higher barrier for home ownership (down payment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island