Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
It annoys my husband when people use the word Moms (plural)
for example my moms got a new car. So one day my husband said to a co-worker who he's really friendly with how many moms do you have? The guy looked confused.
I think what your husband is hearing is "My mom's got a new car." The 'apostrophe s' is for 'has'. "My mom has got a new car."

Has nothing to do with plural moms.

Quote:
Not sure if this is a LI thing or just a I am stupid thing but I have heard many people use the word landed up instead of ended up. For instance the napkin landed up on the floor. Didn't it end up on the floor?
I have never heard that one before!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think what your husband is hearing is "My mom's got a new car." The 'apostrophe s' is for 'has'. "My mom has got a new car."

Has nothing to do with plural moms.

I have never heard that one before!
I think you maybe misunderstood me about the moms plural it's a ghetto thing. I can't really explain it but somebody must know what I mean. Maybe I should of said my Moms fell down instead of them saying my mom fell down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 06:05 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Not sure if this is a LI thing or just a I am stupid thing but I have heard many people use the word landed up instead of ended up. For instance the napkin landed up on the floor. Didn't it end up on the floor?
I've never heard "landed up" in an example like that, and a good thing too because that would probably drive me up a wall, LOL

An email friend of mine in CA constantly uses the phrase "a tad bit" and it drives me bonkers. I have always used/heard "just a tad" and "a little bit"... but never "a tad bit" which makes zero sense because it's two nouns (tad and bit) rather than an adjective + noun (little + bit.)

"Landed up" is equally nonsensical; of course the napkin either landed on the floor, or ended up on the floor.

But just to be Devil's Advocate, there is one legitimate use of "landed up" and that's when describing a person who arrives somewhere (often unpleasant) after a series of actions. For example, "She drank too much at the party and landed up in the hospital after driving her car into somebody's koi pond." But to be honest if I were writing or saying that, I'd either use "landed in" or "ended up in." "Landed up" is only used to refer to people, not objects. And it's still awkward IMHO, lol

Old 05-23-2019, 01:03 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I've never heard "landed up" in an example like that, and a good thing too because that would probably drive me up a wall, LOL

An email friend of mine in CA constantly uses the phrase "a tad bit" and it drives me bonkers. I have always used/heard "just a tad" and "a little bit"... but never "a tad bit" which makes zero sense because it's two nouns (tad and bit) rather than an adjective + noun (little + bit.)

"Landed up" is equally nonsensical; of course the napkin either landed on the floor, or ended up on the floor.

But just to be Devil's Advocate, there is one legitimate use of "landed up" and that's when describing a person who arrives somewhere (often unpleasant) after a series of actions. For example, "She drank too much at the party and landed up in the hospital after driving her car into somebody's koi pond." But to be honest if I were writing or saying that, I'd either use "landed in" or "ended up in." "Landed up" is only used to refer to people, not objects. And it's still awkward IMHO, lol
I have two friends that use landed up and it drives me crazy. I correct them too.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:57 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,231 times
Anything below the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Big Muddy drives me to distraction.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:47 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
I have two friends that use landed up and it drives me crazy. I correct them too.
My ex-husband used to always say "ruth beer" instead of root beer. I have no idea why; it wasn't a speech impediment or anything. It always set my teeth on edge.

That's not why we split up but it sure didn't help, LOL

Old 05-24-2019, 04:54 PM

77 posts, read 192,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Long Island accent ranked last in sexiness in U.S., travel company finds

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ing-1.31106821
So learn to enunciate? Elocution is important.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:31 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
I've never known anyone who lives on Long Island to pronounce the hard "G" in the middle of that name but plenty from the Bronx who have.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:41 AM

615 posts, read 448,342 times
I never thought I even had an accent until several people out West (when I took a road trip) asked me where my accent came from.

Although now that I think about it, when I transferred from public school to private (high school), my teachers kept asking me who I killed when I "axed someone a question".

I'm white and from Brooklyn.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:50 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
back to the original question:
yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island