Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 07:16 PM

20 posts, read 34,753 times

Advertisements

hello

i am looking at a house that needs some work including taking down walls to expand the kitchen to make it open. The stairs is in the way so i want to change the staircase direction (Not moving them, but instead of L shape, i will make it a straight up shape)

Called the town of NH today and they told me they are backed up 4-6 months with permits. as i have to leave to current residence and dont want to rent for a year with kids, so i am considering if i can just remodel it without permit.

I understand some may say you should get permit if it touches plumbing..etc...

my question is does the town of north hempstead knows your actual layout of the house? i am not doing any structural addition and everything i'd like to do is interior.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkie View Post
hello

i am looking at a house that needs some work including taking down walls to expand the kitchen to make it open. The stairs is in the way so i want to change the staircase direction (Not moving them, but instead of L shape, i will make it a straight up shape)

Called the town of NH today and they told me they are backed up 4-6 months with permits. as i have to leave to current residence and dont want to rent for a year with kids, so i am considering if i can just remodel it without permit.

I understand some may say you should get permit if it touches plumbing..etc...

my question is does the town of north hempstead knows your actual layout of the house? i am not doing any structural addition and everything i'd like to do is interior.

Thanks
For starters. You want to expand the kitchen, the kitchen does not need expansion. That is a personal choice. Turning a staircase is structural and therefore you need a permit. There are weight bearing walls and what might seem like a good wall to remove may not be. Can you do it without a permit? Sure go ahead. Just don’t try to sell it down the road. There will no doubt be electrical lines that will be in the way and these will also need to be addressed. Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:47 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
What's the rush?
Get everything in order and file.
Move in and just deal with a little construction for a few weeks. Do it right. Do it once. Temporary yet doable experience.
I'm all for "screw the man" and all but this could come back and rip you a new one at some point.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:30 PM

40 posts, read 65,357 times
just do it, its not like you are adding an extension, you're just doing interior alteration. you will be fine, however just make sure the walls you are taking down are not weight bearing walls. its your home you could do whatever you want inside of it.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 13,408 times
the town has the physical blueprint of your house on file. they know the layout. BUT if you do it and dont get caught, no one will know.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:54 AM

60 posts, read 46,803 times
Never get the town involved with interior work. Opening up a can of worms. Won't be an issue when you sell. Worse case scenario is getting the permits before selling.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:00 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Seems like the current system makes it prohibitive for residents to upgrade their homes legally

That many resort to the point of considering of making illegal upgrades

So either the system is screwing LI, or people simply can't afford to abide by the law

Which one is it

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-28-2019, 07:55 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick9 View Post
Never get the town involved with interior work. Opening up a can of worms. Won't be an issue when you sell. Worse case scenario is getting the permits before selling.
If you remove a structural wall in the kitchen and turn staircases, I can assure you that will be a problem selling down the line. It has already been posted that you are changing the structure if you turn a staircase or take down a load bearing wall.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:48 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Seems like the current system makes it prohibitive for residents to upgrade their homes legally

That many resort to the point of considering of making illegal upgrades

So either the system is screwing LI, or people simply can't afford to abide by the law

Which one is it
NYC is no different, It's a money grab.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:46 PM

24 posts, read 16,157 times
take it from me, DONT DO IT! Get your permits! Neighbors are *******s and will call the town on you. Ive been waiting for a permit since May, finally got a letter in the mail for 1 thing i was missing on my plans
Back Story: Purchased house in april, didnt like the design meaning the master bath was tiny as hell along with the house not remodeled since the 60's.
Went in sledge hammers blazing due to a flooding from that major rain storm we had because of 2 open skylights... demo'd 80% of house (mostly the second floor bedrooms) left the kitchen and such as my house apparently has a VERY UNIQUE and NOT LEGAL ANYMORE extension which is approved and on plans since 1950. Had a dumpster outside house for 2 hours, next morning came home to big red sticker with STOP WORK ORDER. Since may til now i still dont have my permits (however im about 95% there) and i have zero living space.

Letter in mail i received states i need to pay double the fee as i "started work prior to permit" meanwhile it was a flooding issue... apparently the fine could have been up to 10x the fee... im happy with my double fee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island