Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 05:42 AM

60 posts, read 46,868 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing as high as $4000 south of Merrick road.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 07:57 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,172,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick9 View Post
Depends on your elevation/flood zone. Can be as low as $500. $4,000 is not uncommon if you're in a flood zone.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:10 AM

157 posts, read 87,191 times
I think I pay in the $1200 - $1400 range in Mastic Beach.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:47 PM

20,089 posts, read 20,897,502 times
2007 $1200
2016 $3200
I believe I was AE.

Thankfully I got out of Nassau and moved back east. No more of that flood & FEMA nonsense.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 AM

57,363 posts, read 26,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick9 View Post
Flood zone 1?

Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
2007 $1200
2016 $3200
I believe I was AE.

Thankfully I got out of Nassau and moved back east. No more of that flood & FEMA nonsense.
Nonsense? These homes that were built near the water and had flood insurance subsidized by taxpayers for decades is nonsense. If you want to live near the ocean then pay the fair market price for protection, don't ask others to cover your risk.

The FEMA maps were extremely accurate as predicted for Sandy, local government fought the categories before Sandy, no anymore.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:46 PM

20,089 posts, read 20,897,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Nonsense? These homes that were built near the water and had flood insurance subsidized by taxpayers for decades is nonsense. If you want to live near the ocean then pay the fair market price for protection, don't ask others to cover your risk.

The FEMA maps were extremely accurate as predicted for Sandy, local government fought the categories before Sandy, no anymore.
Listen guy, I didn't ask for any of it.
In fact, had no idea it was in a flood zone until a week before the closing. In fact I had zero clue about flood zones and such because it was a non issue on previous homes in the same damn town. And back then, 10 plus years ago the whole flood thing was not something you thought about (in this particular town) unless you lived on the water. So there.

And to add...I fought the flood policy and lost.
Thankfully, because my neighborhood, which never ever ever flooded, got creamed during Sandy.

And another thing...I didn't take a single handout or nothing. I took only what my insurance wrote for and that was it. I took absolutely nothing else.
And I stayed in my water logged frozen home the entire time.

Last edited by hotkarl; 08-18-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-18-2019, 04:37 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

The village I lived in was recategorized as a flood zone before Sandy. After the storm, the community fought FEMA, and parts of the village were rezoned as shaded X (safe). This was appropriate as the block I was on was on high ground, and had never once flooded during the decades I lived there, even after Sandy. My lot received a zone X rezoning.

Living on the coast means this flood zone stuff is dead serious now, and everyone should know where they stand with FEMA. I actually copied the FEMA map with my lot on it and made copies for people looking to buy my house.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Listen guy, I didn't ask for any of it.
In fact, had no idea it was in a flood zone until a week before the closing. In fact I had zero clue about flood zones and such because it was a non issue on previous homes in the same damn town. And back then, 10 plus years ago the whole flood thing was not something you thought about (in this particular town) unless you lived on the water. So there.

And to add...I fought the flood policy and lost.
Thankfully, because my neighborhood, which never ever ever flooded, got creamed during Sandy.

And another thing...I didn't take a single handout or nothing. I took only what my insurance wrote for and that was it. I took absolutely nothing else.
And I stayed in my water logged frozen home the entire time.
Yes you were one of the people dismissing Sandy as an overreaction when it was about to hit and then disappeared. You refused government tax payer funded FEMA, never applied for any assistance, you are in a very small minority.

Hard to believe you didn’t know you were in a flood zone, they were well documented after Irene but you didn’t know because they were fighting the designation in every area on the south shore. You were required to carry flood insurance but were unaware you were in a flood zone.

Last edited by Goodnight; 08-18-2019 at 09:22 PM..

Old 08-18-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The village I lived in was recategorized as a flood zone before Sandy. After the storm, the community fought FEMA, and parts of the village were rezoned as shaded X (safe). This was appropriate as the block I was on was on high ground, and had never once flooded during the decades I lived there, even after Sandy. My lot received a zone X rezoning.

Living on the coast means this flood zone stuff is dead serious now, and everyone should know where they stand with FEMA. I actually copied the FEMA map with my lot on it and made copies for people looking to buy my house.
My village also fought the FEMA designation after Irene and its a good thing they lost as they were accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island