Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2019, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 11,772 times

Advertisements

Hello! Been reading the forum and learning about the different neighborhoods and feedback. Like many others, I'm looking to move my wife and small family to the island so we can be closer to some of our family and Manhattan.

One of the things I'm curious about is culture in Syosset. We love diversity of all types (religious,race, nationality...etc) but can't figure out if the demographics of Syosset are predominant one way or the other in such a way that might make a minority faith feel out of place. For clarity, we are catholic. We come from a predominantly jewish area where fairly often, families and town events exclude catholics because they are so focused around religion. We love our Jewish friends (and family) but never felt part of the community. We wouldn't want to repeat that by inserting ourselves into a similar situation. From what I've read, Syosset consists of about 30% asian and 60% cauc.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations on neighborhoods similar to Syosset in home prices and commute time?

Thanks for any feedback!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 05:56 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,601,675 times
Can’t help with first hand information about Syosset, but this might give you some info...

https://www.city-data.com/city/Syosset-New-York.html

Old 08-26-2019, 07:59 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Try Garden City or Rockville Centre, which are predominantly Christian/Catholic areas. They both have excellent schools.

Syosset has a significant Jewish population, but it is decreasing with demographics rapidly shifting to Asian/Indian. This is what is happening to many of the North Shore Towns. Syosset schools are excellent.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:11 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I've known a few religiously Catholic people who live in Syosset and have not heard of any issues. But yeah, if you want predominantly Catholic look at GC, RVC or Manhasset.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:13 PM

6 posts, read 11,772 times
Thanks. I don't really need predominantly catholic, I just don't want us to feel like we're the only folks with xmas decorations on our lawn.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Here's a map to last year's best Christmas decorations across Long Island

https://patch.com/new-york/syosset/b...sland-2018-map

Old 08-26-2019, 10:31 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlangsworth View Post
Thanks. I don't really need predominantly catholic, I just don't want us to feel like we're the only folks with xmas decorations on our lawn.
I am sure that you won't be the only one with Christmas decorations. There are quite a few Catholic families or mixed families in Syosset, but they might be empty nesters at this point. Remember, Asians often put out holiday decorations on their house or have some sort of family dinner on Christmas day without really celebrating Christmas. Then again, there are quite a few Christian east Asians (Korean and Chinese) with their own churches. Young Asians are moving into Syosset, as well as many North Shore communities and I don't see that trend decreasing in the near future. Manhasset, as someone else suggested (also with a growing Asian population) is also a good choice if you can afford it.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:22 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
St. Edward's Catholic Church is a pretty strong parish so I'm sure there's plenty of Catholics and other Christians in Syosset. There is also a Coptic Christian Church on Woodbury Rd on the way into Huntington that's been there for many years. You will feel the presence of other religions and ethnicities. Why not spend some time in town one weekend and see what you think.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:16 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am sure that you won't be the only one with Christmas decorations. There are quite a few Catholic families or mixed families in Syosset, but they might be empty nesters at this point. Remember, Asians often put out holiday decorations on their house or have some sort of family dinner on Christmas day without really celebrating Christmas. Then again, there are quite a few Christian east Asians (Korean and Chinese) with their own churches. Young Asians are moving into Syosset, as well as many North Shore communities and I don't see that trend decreasing in the near future. Manhasset, as someone else suggested (also with a growing Asian population) is also a good choice if you can afford it.
You bring up a good point that whereas the public schools may not be particularly Catholic (or even Christian) given the demographics of school age children attending public schools in the Syosset School District, there are certainly a very large number of Christians in Syosset.

For folks like the OP, for example, that may be a distinction without much of a difference (if he is talking the public school friends of his children).

Plenty of Xmas lights in Syosset BTW but you are not going to see too many over-the-top light shows there.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:20 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Reports from friends in Syosset (and Jericho, etc.) is that their grade-school age children are among the small minority of non-Asians in their K-4 classes. One said his daughter’s kindergarten class was 17/22 Asian. Jews and Christians still exist in quantity demographically, but their kids are mostly older, in college, or have left the nest for good. When they move to Florida, they’ll sell to Asians, who are waiting with cash in hand to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island