Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 07:03 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Better test scores... and yet elite universities are rejecting high numbers of high-performing Asians because they're largely cram-school products who have simply given up any semblance of a normal American childhood for the purpose of application to these institutions. They are outwardly motivated by shame and overbearing parents, and essentially finished products - their qualifications aren't a measure of scholastic aptitude to learn at an elite college, but rather the cumulative effects of "hacking" the admissions system by spending their summers taking the next high school year's math class, and then registering for the same class to get the superior grade.

But if it helps your resale value and the quality of your dim sum, carry on mate.
That's a nice dissertation but mostly bunk. My son is in a local school with these criminal overachievers and basically, they are just mildly ahead of our usual stats. I didn't say the test scores suddenly skyrocketed to MIT levels, they are just generally up in the communities with influxes of E. Asian and S. Asian students. Partly because the parents are science and other professionals relocating here for healthcare and lab work (and they aren't the ones cleaning bedpans, but taking over oncology units). But let's go with your theory that it's parental shame and 24/7 access to Kumon. That's some deep thinking there. Not a surprise their kids are smart and looking to go to ivys. If anything, the reason Asians are not getting accepted to the big schools as much is due to strict diversity rules and they are over saturated in admissions. By your measure, hopefully they'll all move to Austria or Luxembourg to take over the academic world there and "hack" the admissions (wtf does that even mean, lol?! they cheat by studying?!). Who needs those kind of A+ students in our country?

And Dim Sum is a bit out of date, mate. I'ts Korean BBQ and cheap dosas that are the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
That's a nice dissertation but mostly bunk. My son is in a local school with these criminal overachievers and basically, they are just mildly ahead of our usual stats. I didn't say the test scores suddenly skyrocketed to MIT levels, they are just generally up in the communities with influxes of E. Asian and S. Asian students. Partly because the parents are science and other professionals relocating here for healthcare and lab work (and they aren't the ones cleaning bedpans, but taking over oncology units). But let's go with your theory that it's parental shame and 24/7 access to Kumon. That's some deep thinking there. Not a surprise their kids are smart and looking to go to ivys. If anything, the reason Asians are not getting accepted to the big schools as much is due to strict diversity rules and they are over saturated in admissions. By your measure, hopefully they'll all move to Austria or Luxembourg to take over the academic world there and "hack" the admissions (wtf does that even mean, lol?! they cheat by studying?!). Who needs those kind of A+ students in our country?

And Dim Sum is a bit out of date, mate. I'ts Korean BBQ and cheap dosas that are the ticket.
Bless them all, 70k more than the max price I expected to get for a house that needed 30k in hvac and leak repairs plus sagging floors. I would like to take this moment to thank all the Asians and a few honkies who drove up the prices!. I sincerely thank you all.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:55 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Better test scores... and yet elite universities are rejecting high numbers of high-performing Asians because they're largely cram-school products who have simply given up any semblance of a normal American childhood for the purpose of application to these institutions. They are outwardly motivated by shame and overbearing parents, and essentially finished products - their qualifications aren't a measure of scholastic aptitude to learn at an elite college, but rather the cumulative effects of "hacking" the admissions system by spending their summers taking the next high school year's math class, and then registering for the same class to get the superior grade.

But if it helps your resale value and the quality of your dim sum, carry on mate.
Yep, I recently read it’s harder for an Asian to get into Harvard than it is for any other ethnicity. Ditto for a south Asian of Indian descent to get into an elite medical school. Also interesting you know who has the best chance of getting into Harvard? Children of alumni donors. Some things never change.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:37 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
If anything, the reason Asians are not getting accepted to the big schools as much is due to strict diversity rules and they are over saturated in admissions.
This was obvious, I thought. I guess not to the bigots who just wanted to call them robots. My robots play 3 sports too. 4 if you count e-sports. Who has time to study?!

This "diversity requirement" happened in NYC too... https://nypost.com/2019/03/02/the-ma...al-and-racist/

Last edited by ovi8; 09-07-2019 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-21-2019, 12:18 PM

56 posts, read 115,218 times
Quote:
It's an win win. Better test scores AND better food.
The Asian Invasion is real.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:20 PM

56 posts, read 115,218 times
Quote:

Spoken like a solid "C" student mate.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:05 AM

450 posts, read 386,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Bless them all, 70k more than the max price I expected to get for a house that needed 30k in hvac and leak repairs plus sagging floors. I would like to take this moment to thank all the Asians and a few honkies who drove up the prices!. I sincerely thank you all.

That's great for current sellers, but I wonder what is going to happen when younger Asians grow up and realize they were the ones keeping the scores up, and they can just all decide to move somewhere else and pay a lot less taxes, and suddenly create a vacuum of cheaper houses because they paid cash, there is no mortgage, and all they want is what they paid back say 10 years from now..

I don't expect them to leave any money on the table and sell at a lower than market level, but I feel that it's a very possible situation. I just hope people don't look at the trend and buy there hoping they can sell with a good return on their investment at the pace it's been going for last 5-10 years.

The condition of the houses aside, close proximity of houses to each other especially near the highways, or the add'l commute if you are well north of train station are some of the reasons I passed on Syosset. Place that's hot now has no guarantee that it will be hot 10-15 years from now when your kids are ready to graduate and you just look back and realize you dropped $260k in taxes and random expenses for your $600k house in that time frame.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:00 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
The Asians or whomever coming in these days are the ones willingly (blindly?) paying for the high million dollar flipped houses. What's happening is they're driving the price up for home values and at the same time taking over the higher percentage of the tax burden - both positives for everyone else.

Negatives - less sense of community as differing ethnicities keep to themselves (even Korean vs. Chinese). And is this not a bubble brewing? Prices have to come down eventually when they do move. You could also argue that this trend of relatively well-off outsiders (why not whites?) coming into LI will simply continue forever while prices normalize. Is it because only asians/indians are blindly paying exorbitant prices for our properties? Do they not realize there's a tax issue? Who's moving into Westchester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island