Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 12:04 PM

516 posts, read 1,079,557 times

Advertisements

Today I received a letter from DMV stating that due to a problem with their photo system I must go to any DMV office (bringing proof of ID) for a retake of my photo. It notes there will be no charge for this visit.

The letter is dated Nov 20, Postmarked Nov 15 today is Nov 18. Boy they work fast.

Last edited by kevink1955; 11-18-2019 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 09:19 PM

516 posts, read 1,079,557 times
I hope this is not a sting and I get deported as I could not prove my residence with my paid utility bill on the original visit. If you do not hear from me again I will be in Scotland where my grandparents came from in 1926.

Wonder if they have a DMV there and how it works Lol

Old 11-20-2019, 08:13 PM

4,534 posts, read 8,354,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
I hope this is not a sting and I get deported as I could not prove my residence with my paid utility bill on the original visit. If you do not hear from me again I will be in Scotland where my grandparents came from in 1926.

Wonder if they have a DMV there and how it works Lol

Old 02-08-2020, 04:55 PM

43,799 posts, read 44,572,456 times
Quote:
Now get this

Went to DMV today to renew my license and upgrade to Real ID

I had all my proofs and a few extras. For residency I had 2 utility bills as suggested by the DMV site

I had enough other proofs to renew and upgrade so I was only slightly annoyed. If I did not have something else to prove it I would have been out 1hr 25 min wait time. They finily agreed to use my W2 as residency and my tattered SS card as SSN proof.

I also had a valid passport, my current drivers license and the renewal form they had mailed me, I was forced to fill out a renewal as if I was applying for a new license (so why did I have to bring the 1 they mailed me)

Unlike the DMV of 30 years ago, the rep was pleasant but DMV still does not have a clew as to what proofs they will or will not accept. The mailing, the online info and the online checklist all have differences as to what they will accept.
I went to the DMV approx. 10 days ago in order to renew my license and get a Real ID. I made an advance appointment and still spent over an hour and half there. I had my social security card, my old/current license (which is valid for a few more months), my valid passport and credit card statement & bank statements as proof of residency. The agent wasn't very nice and rudely made me gather all my documents as soon as she handed me my receipt. I was so fluttered to make sure I had all my original documents that I didn't think to look at the receipt she handed me with the interim license. When I got home, I noticed that although my mailing address showed my current address, the interim license showed an old address of mine that hasn't been correct in over 20 years! I called up the DMV on the phone and was told to return to the office that I had been to with my proof of address documents. So I rushed back to the same office that same day and was able to get to the same customer service representative and show her the mistake (which she didn't apologize for). She printed out a regular piece of paper showing that the mailing home address was now corrected to be same as my mailing address but refused to print out a new receipt with a new interim license with the correct address. She told me that she wasn't able to do that. Then I went to find a supervisor who told me that they couldn't give me a new interim license without me paying again but that I would receive my renewed license with the corrected address. Well the license arrived today with the wrong/old address. According to the DMV website it costs $17.50 to get replacement license due to an address change. But I didn't change my address as it is clerical error on their part (so why should pay for it?!). So I am quite irritated by the whole situation!

Quote:
Real ID is the same cost as the regular license, 80.50 in my case. Will allow you to board flights within the United States

I went with Real ID as I have a passport and would already be carrying it if leaving the country.
This is the only reason I went to the DMV rather than renewing online (which I have never had a problem with getting the correct address on it)!

Old 02-09-2020, 12:05 PM

6,515 posts, read 3,202,301 times
Since this topic got revived, I'll add to the list of crap, that my wife and I had to go through, after our initial encounters with the NY State DMV, as initially discussed on page one of this topic...….

Since her drivers license now possessed a "corrected" middle name, we had to:
A) Re-register her cars, as the registrations had to match her license;
B) Re-title the cars, because the titles had to match her "new identity";
C) Change her car insurance, to match her "new identity";
D) Change her Social Security card, so it matched her "new identity";
E) Change her Medicare card, so it matched her "new identity";
F) Change her private health insurance ID, to match her "new identity";
G) Correct her name with her employer's pension system, to match her "new identity".

We think we've got it covered, for now. A hearty THANKS, to the NY State DMV...……..

Old 02-09-2020, 03:16 PM
exm

3,736 posts, read 1,796,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Since this topic got revived, I'll add to the list of crap, that my wife and I had to go through, after our initial encounters with the NY State DMV, as initially discussed on page one of this topic...….

G) Correct her name with her employer's pension system, to match her "new identity".

We think we've got it covered, for now. A hearty THANKS, to the NY State DMV...……..

If only you were an illegal with papers from Nowherestan... Fixed.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,773,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

KACHING!

Cuomo thanks you for the fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: