Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 11:49 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
MAINE! That’s where I’m going! No goats, but plenty of moose, deer & Fox!
Yup. Me too. Screw the dirty south!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 11:54 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yup. Me too. Screw the dirty south!
SWAMP land. Kennebunkport or Boothbay Harbor for me!

Old 01-05-2020, 01:11 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I love goats too. Petted some on the east end this past weekend. There are quite a few of them there on different farms. They make great cheese and soap.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:59 PM

450 posts, read 386,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Unless you compare with a horrible school district elsewhere there is no point paying high school taxes. It’s become a fallacy to justify them when many districts around the country provide a great education at a fraction of the cost per student.

Seems like no matter where you go on Long Island you need to pay about $1k/mo of taxes. Unless you want to live in a condo building, taxes will be very similar. Obviously paying $25k instead of $15k just to get slightly better education makes no sense, but than again it goes hand in hand with the type of houses, and if you have a pool, large lot, etc.. Seriously, I live in Queens, our property tax is $8k, and for me, paying $5k more per year just to live in a bigger house with privacy, space on all 4 sides of the house, green, quiet, and relaxing environment is more than worth it. So I keep hearing "why move and pay more taxes for schools", my observation is that school alone is not the reason for those add'l taxes.

When you say around the country, definitely, you can go to any state and get great education, but can you just pack up and leave? People think it's OK to just move and find a job, well most people don't have that luxury. "

Why would you move to LI and pay so much tax", well maybe because I can't move to South Carolina or Maine, and I want to live in a better environment. Low taxes in towns of Long Island does not only mean worse schools, but also the environment, amenities, and quality of life.

So, people moving out of Long Island, good for them, they can either find better jobs elsewhere, or they retired, or they own their own businesses. Plumber can plumb anywhere in the country, they'll move, they'll make less, but they'll pay a whole lot less too.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:01 PM

450 posts, read 386,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
OP what did your cousin say was the reason when you asked him? There is a great quality of life at a much lower cost in most parts of the country (schools included) that you can take partake in if your work/life style allows you to take advantage of it.

Asked the same question earlier, still waiting for more details, it doesn't reflect on rest of the people but I am still curious how OP reached the conclusion that people are leaving in droves...

Old 01-05-2020, 05:16 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Seems like no matter where you go on Long Island you need to pay about $1k/mo of taxes. Unless you want to live in a condo building, taxes will be very similar. Obviously paying $25k instead of $15k just to get slightly better education makes no sense, but than again it goes hand in hand with the type of houses, and if you have a pool, large lot, etc.. Seriously, I live in Queens, our property tax is $8k, and for me, paying $5k more per year just to live in a bigger house with privacy, space on all 4 sides of the house, green, quiet, and relaxing environment is more than worth it. So I keep hearing "why move and pay more taxes for schools", my observation is that school alone is not the reason for those add'l taxes.

When you say around the country, definitely, you can go to any state and get great education, but can you just pack up and leave? People think it's OK to just move and find a job, well most people don't have that luxury. "

Why would you move to LI and pay so much tax", well maybe because I can't move to South Carolina or Maine, and I want to live in a better environment. Low taxes in towns of Long Island does not only mean worse schools, but also the environment, amenities, and quality of life.

So, people moving out of Long Island, good for them, they can either find better jobs elsewhere, or they retired, or they own their own businesses. Plumber can plumb anywhere in the country, they'll move, they'll make less, but they'll pay a whole lot less too.
The issue is less about the taxes you directly pay than the cost per student. When a good district off LI can educate and graduate a student for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a failing district on LI something is wrong.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:23 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The issue is less about the taxes you directly pay than the cost per student. When a good district off LI can educate and graduate a student for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a failing district on LI something is wrong.
Those districts don’t pay teachers 135k.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
If that’s the case, why does traffic get worse & worse every year? I never saw so much traffic in the 40+ years of living on LI. Nor have I saw so many new constructions, massive rental complexes, condos and assisted facilities going up. Not cheap either.

So, nobody is leaving. One leaves, 3 more move in.
I have been asking the same thing. Traffic seems to have increased dramatically.

My theory is that there are a lot more people living illegally here on Long Island then is acknowledged.

And by illegally I am not just talking about the stereotype of poor less educated people coming from overseas. I am talking about people, all people, citizens and non-citizens alike, doubling up in apartments and houses because housing has gotten so expensive. Nor can many young people afford to move out of their parent's home to their own place. Just look at how many cars are parked on the street at night even in front of single family homes with driveways.

At the end of the day, the problem is that we are next to extremely overcrowded New York City.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:54 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Don’t even get me started on traffic!

Every single September when school starts I see more and more cars! The slow downs and back ups begin a little further east every. Single. Year!

But everyone is fleeing. Hmmm

Old 01-05-2020, 07:23 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Those districts don’t pay teachers 135k.
The benefit costs for NY exceed salary costs per pupil for many other states.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/e...upil-data.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island