Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 04:41 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Have you tried to hire anyone recently? It's really hard to find people. Either people are afraid of changing companies or the unemployment is really low. We used to advertise positions and get stacks of resume, now things are much different, and I am hearing same things from others in different industries.
Yes, and no offense, but are you offering NYC salaries and bennies, or LI? Usually a $30k difference. Few are giving up what they have for a $30k drop. I know personally a half dozen over 50 mid-mgmt and execs downsized on LI who now work 2-3 PT jobs hourly while a spouse's job handles the benefits. Seems to be lots of crappy, under $40k jobs out there. Do your own Indeed search and see how bleak it actually looks. That is why we have such a big illegal employment presence and have historically ignored it and are now giving them driver's licenses.
LI has never been able to fill low end mfg jobs and anyone can see major downsizing of higher end workers. It's not a great economy because a company lays off an $90k worker so they can replace her with (2) $30k workers and that is EXACTLY what happened. Now you can't find help. Go figure. Your best candidate is now working at Starbucks or for a competitor in LIC or Manhattan for more money, is taking civil service exams or has stopped looking altogether...or its selling an moving. I know 3 personal examples of 6 figure former Directors who are now a HS Teachers Assistant, a product manager at a seasonal company making $60k less and one who moved to a competitor in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Regarding traffic, increased vehicles will be inevitable, what makes it worse is the lack of infrastructure. If NSP was 3 lanes instead of 2, or if there were more parking lots for LIRR, and reliable public transportation, traffic would be different.
Let's face it, manhattan wants to funnel the volume in outer boroughs. They don't want the load to hit the city, but actually flow slowly into city and be able to move around the city easily. This is why they took lanes off queens blvd, northern blvd, metropolitan ave, Atlantic, Flatbush etc in the name of bus lanes and bike lanes. Each major exit is packed after GCP/678 because merges are inefficient. Going back to LI, rush hour expanded into 3pm, I guess more and more people work odd hours, and with increased volume the congestion spread.

More people moving further east to get more for their money is a good observation that zulu400 pointed out. All those people have to drive, and that adds to the traffic.
Infrastructure problems of course. Nimby rule does not allow for any upgrades, repairs or potential turning over of a stone. Ponzi public employment means every tax dollar is grabbed before it can go to good public use. LI needs to worry less about things named for Robert Moses and more about not upgrading anything SINCE Robert Moses!!

Last edited by monstermagnet; 01-07-2020 at 04:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 05:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Twinkles if you really think there has been no population increase from 1970 to 2020 then I don’t know what to tell you. I live here. I drive here daily. I see the condos and housing developments being built one after another. Not sure how they gauge the population but I think they need a more accurate method.
The only reason I can think of is undocumented immigrants not counted on the census. The Census data is the data that matters.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:15 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
census data showed nassau gaining population and suffolk losing population

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ion-1.17587351

Old 01-07-2020, 05:33 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

That's great news! Hope that trend continues!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:38 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
In my North Shore area, there are plenty of asians from Queens movin' on up to LI.

When I first moved to East Hills in 2015, we were the only asians in my section.
Now my kids elementary school bus stop is all asian kids. My youngest son's pre-k class at Pierce private school was like 85% asian.

When their kids graduate HS and the taxes are too damn high, people in my neighborhood sell and there are plenty of cash paying chinese ready to buy into a good school system.

There goes the neighborhood.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:00 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
That explains why so many cats go missing in that area.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That explains why so many cats go missing in that area.

Few cats go missing, but your property values and schools average SAT scores go up.

And we are not eating them, we are sacrificing them to satan to make more money.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Lmao!

Good one Dumbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Few cats go missing, but your property values and schools average SAT scores go up.

And we are not eating them, we are sacrificing them to satan to make more money.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Lmao!

Good one Dumbo.

Its the only way to pay for these damn high taxes.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

I always thought Nassau was the place to be.

In 2000 Census - Median household income of Suffolk was more than that of Nassau. Suffolk was the 11th richest county in the USA. I know, that was a long time ago.....

Source: Census Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island