Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
But he dosent make 100k in MO so it’s irrelevant that’s why he’s presumably moving here.
It’s not irrelevant if he thinks it’s going to be equivalent to making “x” amount of money in MO. I also missed where he stated his current salary.

I used to participate in a parenting forum with women from across the US. One day we got on the topic of capital gains on a house sale and a woman from MO - whose husband was a surgeon and lived in a 5000 square foot house where they kept horses - said THAT law was irrelevant because it wasn’t possible to walk away from a home sale with that much cash. This was in 2010 when I had just sold my LI house and another woman had sold her NJ house and we were like “ummmmm”...once you get off the coasts the rest of America doesn’t really get what “money” means here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 05:18 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
250k to live a standard middle class lifestyle on LI??!! LMAO. What planet are you on? And who says the OP will want a village “luxury” apartment on busy Main Street or even have to live in farmingdale? OP I’d advise you ignore this complete and utter nonsense post above.
Maybe they mean for people who aren’t on the gravy train and have to fund their own retirement and healthcare. I know people paying $1000/month for health insurance and then there’s 401/k contributions. When you’re leeching off the taxpayers you don’t put those in your line item budget.

Overall there are way too many factors that determine what you need to live off. If someone is a doctor with a couple hundred thousand in school loans you’re behind the 8ball already. And so on.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:46 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Maybe they mean for people who aren’t on the gravy train and have to fund their own retirement and healthcare. I know people paying $1000/month for health insurance and then there’s 401/k contributions. When you’re leeching off the taxpayers you don’t put those in your line item budget.

Overall there are way too many factors that determine what you need to live off. If someone is a doctor with a couple hundred thousand in school loans you’re behind the 8ball already. And so on.
OP has kids... funding a 529 asap is important. Need to add that to the mix. Then heaven forbid your kids find a sport or do something like competitive dance - now you're sinking additional thousands... a year. Vacations? Heaven forbid you take them to Disney... on and on.

$100k for a family of 4 on LI has me shaking my head... It's always easy to presume a friend or neighbors financial status... you see what you see, but don't know. I mean it could easily be they are living off credit cards and you wouldn't know.

Frankly, oldandtireddad isn't far off if you want Nassau... and honestly, who wants Suffolk?! It's more like a booby prize.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:38 AM

6 posts, read 4,273 times
OP here... thanks for all responses. My salary in MO is $70k and we live just "ok". We make enough to save for summer vocation (about $7k) and we do not have any serious debts. We have "newer" vehicles and they will be paid off in about 1 .5 years at top. With that being said, we can not put any money on the side after all. I like to save some college money but it does not seem to be doable with the money I earn. Wife works part time here and makes about $750-$800 a month on average with no benefits and she is unhappy about it. The job opportunities are very limited, especially for her area so our hands are tight here. This is the exact reason why we would like to expand to metropolitan areas.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:58 AM

29 posts, read 21,138 times
Buy a foreclosed house and grieve taxes while its ruined and then do Reno without telling anyone.

That brings down the monthly housing payment from 4k to 1k (forever). 100k a year nets 6.25k/mo leaving you 5.25k per month on anything else.

You don't need 250k. I have 4 homes here in LI and 1 in NYC all on a 135k salary.

You can either be on top or you can be on the bottom of the food chain here, and it all depends on which path you take and what people you listen to (hint: usually the popular vote is the poor vote)

Old 01-13-2020, 08:11 AM

29 posts, read 21,138 times
Buy a foreclosed house that is a ruin. Grieve taxes from 13k to 7k and your monthly housing expense drops from 4k to 1k.

3k after tax income = 48k a year pre tax less you need than the "150k" salary as posted.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:16 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It’s not irrelevant if he thinks it’s going to be equivalent to making “x” amount of money in MO. I also missed where he stated his current salary.

I used to participate in a parenting forum with women from across the US. One day we got on the topic of capital gains on a house sale and a woman from MO - whose husband was a surgeon and lived in a 5000 square foot house where they kept horses - said THAT law was irrelevant because it wasn’t possible to walk away from a home sale with that much cash. This was in 2010 when I had just sold my LI house and another woman had sold her NJ house and we were like “ummmmm”...once you get off the coasts the rest of America doesn’t really get what “money” means here.
ok that's fair. I was just pointing out why else would the OP be moving from MO to LI if not for a significant raise? I think i just misunderstood your post.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:27 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Frankly, oldandtireddad isn't far off if you want Nassau... and honestly, who wants Suffolk?! It's more like a booby prize.

Uh wrong not only is he far off he's insanely far off. Unlike you I actually LIVE here and in Nassau, it does not take 250k to live a avg middle class lifestyle, which is total and complete BS. In fact i would say 250 is the beginning threshold of upper middle class. 100k? That will be tough, but people make it work on that income or less on LI every day (yes and with kids) not to mention possible future income from his wife which could change things considerably. And suffolk is a booby prize? For someone who's job is going to be in Farmingdale which is practically in Suffolk where proximity to the city doesn't mean anything, that is simply an idiotic statement but no surprise coming from NC's favorite LI hating Ex-Pat.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
If this is the case then I would only move here if 1. You think your salary will go up within 5 years of being here. Or 2. Your wife can get a job here starting @ 60k. If she can get into a solid job with that doctoral then you guys would be in a great spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomenter View Post
OP here... thanks for all responses. My salary in MO is $70k and we live just "ok". We make enough to save for summer vocation (about $7k) and we do not have any serious debts. We have "newer" vehicles and they will be paid off in about 1 .5 years at top. With that being said, we can not put any money on the side after all. I like to save some college money but it does not seem to be doable with the money I earn. Wife works part time here and makes about $750-$800 a month on average with no benefits and she is unhappy about it. The job opportunities are very limited, especially for her area so our hands are tight here. This is the exact reason why we would like to expand to metropolitan areas.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Why even entertain that nonsense?!? $250k in Nassau is just bs.

And I would take Suffolk any day over the rat race of Nassau. I can’t even stand driving there anymore. What a cluster*uck.

Quote:
Uh wrong not only is he far off he's insanely far off. Unlike you I actually LIVE here and in Nassau, it does not take 250k to live a avg middle class lifestyle, which is total and complete BS. 100k? That will be tough, but people make it work on that income here or less every day (yes and with kids) not to mention possible future income from his wife which could change things considerably. And suffolk is a booby prize? For someone who's job is going to be in Farmingdale which is practically in Suffolk where proximity to the city doesn't mean anything, that is simply an idiotic statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island