Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 09:16 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
But if you insist, No. Babylon could be the town for you. I lived there as a kid, in an area close to Belmont Park. It's a well kept nabe with some cute, small homes

That's actually what I was thinking too, if the OP prefers to stay in Suffolk and avoid the craziness that is Nassau County's property taxes.

The part of North Babylon that abuts the Hunter Avenue/Presidents area of West Islip is also a well kept area with small homes/small lots. It's actually just east of Babylon Village, though, not west of it. "Just east" meaning in terms of the actual Village boundary line, not anything significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 09:51 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
When you say "West Of Babylon" are you talking Babylon Village or the entire Town of Babylon? If the Village, I'm sure your budget would go a long way in Lindenhurst and Copiague. West of the Town pretty much places you in Nassau County.
I have the feeling that the OP meant "west of Babylon" as being on the Babylon line. In other words, if you live in Bayshore or Islip you would have to take a train to Babylon first and then take another train to the city. The OP probably does not want to do that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_Branch

Queens

Jamaica
St Albans
Springfield Gardens
Rosedale

Nassau

Valley Stream
Lynbrook
Rockville Centre
Baldwin
Freeport
Merrick
Bellmore
Seaford
Wantagh
Massapequa
Massapequa Park

Suffolk

Amityville
Copiague
Lindenhurst
Babylon Village

Last edited by LINative; 01-19-2020 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: added Copiague

Old 01-19-2020, 11:03 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
I hadn't thought of it as meaning "Babylon train station", that's true.

However, someone who lives in the section of North Babylon that abuts West Islip, or in West Islip itself, could easily drive to the Babylon station and take the train from there.

We lived in West Islip for 40 years, and for almost half that time my husband commuted to NYC from the Babylon station.

Small houses in West Islip that are in the OP's listing price range: (a plus is that WI schools are good and so if they eventually have kids, that won't be an issue) I deliberately omitted any houses that are south of Montauk Highway, in order to eliminate the additional costs and risks of waterfront neighborhoods.

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1795-288731013 ($400K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1795-287093735 ($455k)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1795-283387134 ($399K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1795-278636936 ($419K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1795-277788266 ($389K)

Another plus: WI has sewers rather than cesspools.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:34 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Given your flexibility what is holding you to LI. Family, perhaps?

Signifcant other has a lot of family there and tbh, we really like LI. Would not want to be further than Lindenhurst Babylon for now but dont want to spend more than 11,000 per year taxes.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:49 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Signifcant other has a lot of family there and tbh, we really like LI. Would not want to be further than Lindenhurst Babylon for now but dont want to spend more than 11,000 per year taxes.
I do understand that, as our families for the most part are still on LI, but we are retired. Have you considered a town house, condo or coop? While I am not a fan of them, given your location, budget and tax limitations, that might be your best option.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I do understand that, as our families for the most part are still on LI, but we are retired. Have you considered a town house, condo or coop? While I am not a fan of them, given your location, budget and tax limitations, that might be your best option.
We have but the hoa fees are really high on all (most)

Old 01-20-2020, 07:34 AM

Thanks all. We just dont want to IDEALLy be too far out... Any area would consider but nOT further out than BAbylon.

We'd like taxes to be 11,000 annual or less and a small house could be 1k square feet . We would not mind.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:24 PM

36 posts, read 32,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
That's actually what I was thinking too, if the OP prefers to stay in Suffolk and avoid the craziness that is Nassau County's property taxes.

The part of North Babylon that abuts the Hunter Avenue/Presidents area of West Islip is also a well kept area with small homes/small lots. It's actually just east of Babylon Village, though, not west of it. "Just east" meaning in terms of the actual Village boundary line, not anything significant.
Hicksville (eastern Nassau County but with affordable taxes for LI), Lindenhurst, Copiague.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:31 PM

36 posts, read 32,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Thanks all. We just dont want to IDEALLy be too far out... Any area would consider but nOT further out than BAbylon.

We'd like taxes to be 11,000 annual or less and a small house could be 1k square feet . We would not mind.
Look in Hicksville in the area near Nevada Street behind Broadway Commons. Taxes there are under 11K and they have a lot of compact 2-3 bedroom ranch homes. The area is walkable and relatively easy to visit NYC.

The area was originally white ethnic, but in recent years has seen an influx of family oriented, hard working East Asians and Latinos who are property owners and take pride in their homes. Low crime, convenience and good parking.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
Given your flexibility what is holding you to LI. Family, perhaps?
Family isn't the only reason people come &/or stay on LI.

By the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island