Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:17 AM

85 posts, read 395,493 times

Advertisements

Currently live in Little Neck in a co-op and trying to stay here in Ny. We have a 3yr old and we have about 300K to spend on a home. I see Selden has housing in that price range and I do know most of the " good areas " to live in, but I don't know alot about Selden. How is the area? Is it safe? Are the schools ok. Usually the cost of housing tells the story of the neighborhood but there are some expensive homes in Selden as well as one's in the 300K range. Is it just a matter of living a good section of Selden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
I dont know much about it. But I know my friends mom lives there, has a huge peice of property and loves it. Good area in her opinion. Thats all I know.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:38 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
My friend did live there for years, moved to Bethpage b/c of wife. He loved it out there. No problems at all. Didn't have kids at the time, so not sure about schools.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:57 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
We moved there from Smithtown and lived there for about a year or so. The area was ok, but I think the traffic was a lot worse than Smithtown. The schools are just ok, not the greatest. There are areas around that have better schools. But I guess for the price you pay, you get decent schools. I much prefer Smithtown, but it wasn't bad over there. My mom complained about how busy (traffic-wise) it was, that was about it.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:36 AM

111 posts, read 412,841 times
I don't know a lot about seldon but there are nick names that developed over time. Selden I was told was Skeltdon for the white trash in the area.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
I lives there for a year, for what you pay I think the schools are good, yes there are better but it will cost a lot more. I think North Selden is nicer than south selden.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 PM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
I been to Selden many times play at “The Hairy Lemon” when I was in a rock band.
...dont like it at all !
I find it, dirty rundown, lots of biker types, 3rd world south of the border trash, out-patient nut’s from the mental hospital.
All roaming the streets at any time.
You have a corperate "strip" and a 7-11 and thats about it.

Id live in Corona Queens any day before being stuck in Seldon, what a hole in the wall.
.... you better look into it

Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 PM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giznot View Post
I don't know a lot about seldon but there are nick names that developed over time. Selden I was told was Skeltdon for the white trash in the area.

LOL ! I forgot about that "Skeltdon" yes now I remember !!
Only now its white trash and more in 2007 !

Old 05-03-2007, 04:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
I don't think its that bad. RT 25 in that area is really busy & does attract alot of foot traffic which is often trashy. The schools are middle country & some people love them, others say they are terrible. My cousin has 2 kids in the district & has no complaints. On the plus side that public library has been voted the best on LI for years & has won numerous national awards.
There is an area of north coram that attends middle country schools & some of the neighborhoods are really nice. I'm a bit futher east in Ridge, right on the border of Wading river. Houses here can be found in the the 300k range. We are in Longwood schools(another district that gets bashed, even though our middle school just won the state championship for Mathletes & many other awards).
My advice is plan on going out to Selden on a saturday evening, have dinner somewhere in town so you can see what your future neighbors are like, then drive around after 9pm, that is when the real truth of a town comes out. If you don't like what you see, look elsewhere.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:14 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
The library system is awesome. As far as Longwood and Middle Country they both get a bad rap form people. My neighbor and my friend are both teachers in Longwood and they love it, now these are very educated people and they see nothing wrong with it, There are alot worse areas out there also, for that price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island