Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM

14 posts, read 47,888 times

Advertisements

I need to know about the Selden/ Centereach areas ( Middle Country schools) My family and I have been looking at houses in these areas because it is more cost efficient especially in this economy. However, we grew up on the south shore of Nassau county which is very nice and has great schools. We do not know much about Suffolk County at all... We are looking for a middle class nice area with decent schools to raise our two girls which is affordable.... Do you think Selden or Centereach are good choices??? What the pros and cons? Also what is with the NO sewers ( cesspools)?? I am not familiar with them are they bad to have?

Please help!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem8980 View Post
I need to know about the Selden/ Centereach areas ( Middle Country schools) My family and I have been looking at houses in these areas because it is more cost efficient especially in this economy. However, we grew up on the south shore of Nassau county which is very nice and has great schools. We do not know much about Suffolk County at all... We are looking for a middle class nice area with decent schools to raise our two girls which is affordable.... Do you think Selden or Centereach are good choices??? What the pros and cons? Also what is with the NO sewers ( cesspools)?? I am not familiar with them are they bad to have?

Please help!!

Thanks
Not bad...just a headsup 25 is a deathtrap and the traffic can be pretty unbearable.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/ny...ef=long-island

Other than that theyre pretty standard Mid Island towns with ok schools.
Slight advantage to Centereach since part of it goes to Three Village.(aka South Setauket)

Theyres very few sewers in Suffolk...cesspools are the norm.

Have you checked out Miller Place-Sound Beach-Rocky Point-Ridge?
Great Middle Class North Shore towns with good schools and reasonable taxes.

Good luck in your hunt.

Crooks

Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Do you mind telling us what your price range is? With the way prices are going down, you might be able to afford areas which you haven't yet considered.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:10 AM

14 posts, read 47,888 times
I would like under 350,000 and low taxes.... thanks for your help!!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:

You can go anywhere in Brookhaven for 350k.
The trick is the low taxes

Rocky Point / Sound Beach/ Ridge(Panamoka) are fairly low for the North Shore. avg (4-6k).

Miller Place can be very pricey taxwise.

Best of luck

crooks

Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Ronkonkoma with Connetquot schools! Perfect fit for your budget.

Quote:

Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Ronkonkoma with Connetquot schools! Perfect fit for your budget.
Not bad, Sachem is good too, but over the long haul you'd probably be better served along the Shores as the Middle continues to urbanize.

crooks

Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 AM

116 posts, read 630,296 times
Centereach is a great middle class area that is affordable. Most houses are not on top of each other as in other neighborhoods.

Neighbors are very friendly and helpful. You are close to everything: highways, shopping centers, etc… This neighborhood has changed very much over the last 20 years.

Everyone that I know, who has children is pleased with the education their children are getting.

Cesspools are not the best thing. Waste flows out of you home through septic tank lines and enters near the top of the septic tank. When your septic tank is working properly the organic solids float to the top of the tank and inorganic solids sink to the bottom. The bacteria in your septic tank then convert the solids to a liquid form.

Middle country road is dangerous - but its not the only road on Long Island.
Other dangerous road:
NASSAU

Hempstead Tpk, Fulton Ave. 15

Merrick Rd. 7

Sunrise Hwy. (Rt. 27) 7

Jericho Tpk. (Rt. 25) 5

SUFFOLK

Sunrise Hwy. 12

Jericho Tpk. Middle Country Rd.

Main Rd. (Rt. 25) 6

Route 25A 4

Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Maybe be so. But Connetquot schools are fed mostly by Oakdale & Bohemia. I dont see that school district changing in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Not bad, Sachem is good too, but over the long haul you'd probably be better served along the Shores as the Middle continues to urbanize.

crooks

Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 AM

302 posts, read 961,877 times
I grew up in Centereach/Middle Country School district and it was great when I was in school 10 years ago but not there seems to be a rise in the population of minorities, so take it how you want. Im not racist but I do know what saw first hand over the last 10 years, and I would keep my kids on a very short leash in this town/school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island