Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 12:12 PM

78 posts, read 66,594 times

Advertisements

Has anyone replaced their old block cesspool with one of those onsite waste treatment systems?

From what I understand, I won't be able to replace my block cesspool with just a septic tank and precast seepage pit.

In Suffolk, it seems like I'll have to have a septic tank, then the OWTS, and then a leach field.
Since my property is very small, I'm trying to find out if I can have a seepage pit instead of a leach field.

Does anyone have any experience going through the OWTS process?

It's a bit ridiculous that we have to put in such an expensive system, that costs quite a bit extra in maintaining, but the only thing we can possibly get is a taxable grant to help pay for the install.

It's not going to increase the home's value, but I expect to see an increase in taxes.

If the local government really wants us to install these systems, then they should offer a school tax break for those that had to upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 02:49 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
I feel for you. It's too bad that you didn't get the cesspool replacement done before the new regulation kicked in, which was last July.

Have you talked to any cesspool contractors about costs? Because it appears that you have at least somewhat of a choice as to what to put in:

Installation of a complete conventional septic system, consisting of a septic tank and leaching structure, can typically range from $6,000 to $8,000 per installation. Innovative alternative onsite wastewater systems (IA/OWTS) installations have an average cost of $19,500 for a standard site.

We had our old block pool replaced with a new precast pool (not septic/leaching) before the deadline, but it still cost $5900 just for the cesspool work. So from a cost standpoint, even if you could put in a precast cesspool, it would not have been all that much cheaper.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:10 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Have you seen this from the county? https://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Depa...Septic-Systems

Old 03-29-2020, 04:33 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
That's a really interesting link/map. Out of curiosity, I located my house on that map and it's not in any of the shaded parts that indicate the Critical Priority or Priority areas. So I guess that means the lowest rank in terms of who they would give a grant to.

Also, those grants are considered taxable income by the IRS. As per reports from last month (Feb. 2020):

The IRS has issued a ruling in a case that could cost Long Island homeowners thousands of dollars in additional federal taxes.

Recipients received 1099s, reporting their grants as taxable income. Suffolk County Comptroller John Kennedy Jr. issued the 1099s to residents, while County Executive Steve Bellone insisted the grants, modeled after other states, are not income.

The IRS has spoken in its ruling. “Those grants are taxable. They’re taxable because it is a benefit being received by the homeowner, but income to the installers as well,” Kennedy said.

Homeowners are still enrolling in the program — more than 100 just last month. If you received one of these grants, you're advised to consult with a tax professional on what to do now. The grants were between $10,000 and $30,000, so the tax impact will vary.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/02...axable-grants/

Old 03-29-2020, 08:00 PM

I wish I had been able to make the cut-off date for just replacing the block to a precast.

I would prefer a system that doesn't have biannual inspections, electric use, yearly maintenance contracts($300-$500), control panels(~$500), and blowers that have a 2-5 year life span($250).
All this stuff adds up on top of the already expensive install price.

According to that map I'm located in a Priority 2 area with 2-25 year baseflow. So basically 3rd on the list if I applied for the taxable grant.

Supposedly the grant will cover the majority of the install cost, but it does NOT cover the engineering/design of the system.
According to two companies I've contacted, I'm looking at about $25,000-$35,000 depending on the system and the site characteristics.

I'll get firm numbers when I can actually get the companies out to the site for a real estimate.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereonli View Post
Has anyone replaced their old block cesspool with one of those onsite waste treatment systems?

From what I understand, I won't be able to replace my block cesspool with just a septic tank and precast seepage pit.

In Suffolk, it seems like I'll have to have a septic tank, then the OWTS, and then a leach field.
Since my property is very small, I'm trying to find out if I can have a seepage pit instead of a leach field.

Does anyone have any experience going through the OWTS process?

It's a bit ridiculous that we have to put in such an expensive system, that costs quite a bit extra in maintaining, but the only thing we can possibly get is a taxable grant to help pay for the install.

It's not going to increase the home's value, but I expect to see an increase in taxes.

If the local government really wants us to install these systems, then they should offer a school tax break for those that had to upgrade.
The use of leaching fields on Long Island is extremely rare and is not a requirement. Looking at the law it appears there is no reason you cannot replace your failing system with a septic tank and leaching pool as long as the sizing is correct for the dwelling.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:01 AM

That's possibly a better option for me, if I can swing it. The septic companies keep trying to push a I/A OWTS and using the grant to pay for most of it.
I'm going to get quotes for both the I/A OWTS with new seepage pits, or a septic tank with new seepage pits.

I'm expecting to hear between 8k-12k for a septic system, or 20k-25k for the I/A OWTS.
The only thing I don't see as a drawback for the I/A OWTS is the initial cost considering the grant will cover a lot of the initial layout.

Hopefully the tough decision will be made a bit clearer once I get real estimates.

Has anyone on here installed an I/A OWTS?

Old 03-30-2020, 11:46 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
OP you stated "The only thing I don't see as a drawback for the I/A OWTS is the initial cost considering the grant will cover a lot of the initial layout." But what about costs over time for routine maintenance and parts replacements that you mentioned above?

As a septic is a tried and true method which should survive decades if properly managed and cleaned on the appropriate schedule wouldn't that be a better investment. I have seen some of these new systems where I am and wonder what happens in 10 or more years when there is some other kind of new method, will the parts you use still be available or will you have to replace it again.

Seems the county would have been more proactive by now to implement a sewer system for its residents especially since the ground water contamination is so bad already.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Considering what is currently happening in the world, a cesspool failure requiring immediate remediation might bypass the bureaucracy nonsense surrounding the new systems.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:03 PM

Everything except the grant subsidized price is a drawback for the I/A OWTS.
I'd rather not be in the position of having to pay extra extra maintenance/parts on top of normal septic pumping/care.

If I did end up choosing the I/A OWTS, I'd probably lean towards the Fuji-Clean CEN series(CEN5 or CEN7).
They seem to be cheaper to maintain and have longer track records than some of the other systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island