Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 07:09 AM

194 posts, read 425,474 times

Advertisements

No taxes out on mine.

Your amount is reduced by $5 for every $100 over $75k

The phase-out provisions reduce your stimulus check by $5 for every $100 you make over the lower thresholds. So a single person with $75,100 in income will see their check reduced by $5, while someone with $75,200 will get a $10 reduction, and so on.
The IRS numbers are correct for those who don't have eligible children. But for those who do, the maximum income limitations are incorrect. You could make more and still get a partial payment.
For example, take a married couple with two children who file jointly. They would expect total payments of $3,400. If they make $200,000, then they'd be $50,000 over the lower threshold. They'd therefore see their check fall by $5 for each $100 of that $50,000. That adds up to a $2,500 reduction. But because their kids entitle them to a $3,400 payment, they'd still get a reduced stimulus check in the amount of $900.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 07:11 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
BTW, "earning" in this case refers to the Adjusted Gross Income (not the lesser taxable income) reported on the last income tax return.

And that sliding scale reduces the payment quite significantly. A whole lot of people won't get the money they expect.
it is actually based on what is called MAGI ... that is a modified agi pre a whole lot of deductions .

Old 04-16-2020, 07:18 AM

99 posts, read 54,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
Tonight my husband talked to a few people on the phone and several people said they received a coronavirus stimulus check. Hopefully we will get ours soon because everyone in my house was laid off from work. What really amazed me is everyone who got one of those checks mentioned Cuomo took taxes out of it. I think that is lousy. While most of the people he spoke to said the taxes taken out were only around $60, that is a real underhanded thing to do to people that are struggling during this pandemic.

Have any of you received a check yet and did you notice the taxes were taken out too?
Sorry you have been laid off.

For my info, what are your plans to get by?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:21 AM

376 posts, read 310,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It’s a redistribution of wealth and simple. All the retirees who are minimally to not impacted at all are rubbing their hands together waiting for that deposit to hit their account.
Which has always been stupidity. No reason to penalize those who work hard and do well for themselves.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:23 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is actually based on what is called MAGI ... that is a modified agi pre a whole lot of deductions .

How do I see what that is?

Old 04-16-2020, 08:25 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Hold on there a minute, not sure what you are saying, but to suggest as you did, that retirees were minimally impacted is false. It is equally impossible for anyone, not just retirees, who have a retirement account invested in anything other than cash to be minimally impacted by this. Are some people in better shape than others? Sure. But we are all impacted.
What he posted was "All the retirees who are minimally to not impacted at all..." He did not say all retirees, he was speaking only about the ones who were not heavily impacted.

And nobody with money invested in anything but cash lost anything at all, except on paper, unless they sold in the decline. Some will view this as a buying opportunity, the market will bounce back. And no, I'm not promising when.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:39 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
Which has always been stupidity. No reason to penalize those who work hard and do well for themselves.
Yes, redistributions of wealth are ok only when it's the middle to the top (40+ years). Top down, it's a crime against the wealthy. Got it.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:10 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What he posted was "All the retirees who are minimally to not impacted at all..." He did not say all retirees, he was speaking only about the ones who were not heavily impacted.

And nobody with money invested in anything but cash lost anything at all, except on paper, unless they sold in the decline. Some will view this as a buying opportunity, the market will bounce back. And no, I'm not promising when.
Correct. If a retiree doesn’t go to work (obvious), on Medicare (no impact) receives SS (payments not impacted) and is drawing a pension (not impacted) or 401K (short term impact) the only real effect is not being able to socialize, dine out in a restaurant or do some activities.

Contrast that with someone who in 2019 earned more than the cutoff but who now is facing a layoff or major salary reduction, loss of bonus, 401K impact for retirement savings (likely short term), is stuck home with the kids and having to basically home school them while working, and also having all the other restrictions.

I’m sorry but I feel little empathy for retirees at the moment.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
At the same time, people getting these checks are also buying iphones and PC video cards with it...

Old 04-16-2020, 10:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
At the same time, people getting these checks are also buying iphones and PC video cards with it...
The irony of indirectly sending money back to China...with money borrowed from China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island