Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 AM

46 posts, read 141,898 times

Advertisements

There is not much to do, it's so expensive and everything seems rundown, am I missing something?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 11:13 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,247 times
Living and loving Suffolk here

Old 04-26-2008, 11:33 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
Where are you looking? Most parts of Suffolk are beautiful, unless you are spending your time in C.I./Brentwood, Wyandanch, Huntington Station, Farmingville or Riverhead.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Seems that this guy has posted a total of 32 times, 31 of which were in either the Charlotte, Coastal NC and Orlando forums. This charming post was his first foray beyond the Mason Dixon line. He lists himself as a truck driver -- maybe he had a run to some industrial park in CI or Brentwood?

Methinks someone is merely trying to stir the pot.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:45 PM

don't get me wrong. I lived there a few years ago and met some great people and loved the energy. but... It seems to me that aside from the people, Long Island sucks. I don't understand why anyone would pay outragous prices on everthing in return for what? I never in my life saw so many adult men and women living with their parents. It was sad sad sad... and funny at the same time.. know what I mean?

Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Seems that this guy has posted a total of 32 times, 31 of which were in either the Charlotte, Coastal NC and Orlando forums. This charming post was his first foray beyond the Mason Dixon line. He lists himself as a truck driver -- maybe he had a run to some industrial park in CI or Brentwood?

Methinks someone is merely trying to stir the pot.
My sentiments as well..let's let this thread die. We finally have had some peace and quiet on the LI board.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:31 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Yeah, Cold Spring Harbor, Lloyd Harbor, Port Jefferson, Dix Hills, Northport, downtown Huntington, etc., are really crappy. What a dumb post.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:45 PM

Lloyd Harbor, Port Jefferson, Dix Hill..nice neighboorhoods but once again.. old and rundown mostly with spotty mcmansions ie boring as all hell unless you want to drive to the city.. have fun with that. Dix hills plaza's need a manicure. Port Jeff tries too hard to be a conn town(my opinion..Westchester,Ny is a better option) LLoyd Harbor.(very nice big lawns and big Houses but once again.. boring as hell.. you have to admit this..

Old 04-26-2008, 04:16 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchoblanco View Post
Lloyd Harbor, Port Jefferson, Dix Hill..nice neighboorhoods but once again.. old and rundown mostly with spotty mcmansions ie boring as all hell unless you want to drive to the city.. have fun with that. Dix hills plaza's need a manicure. Port Jeff tries too hard to be a conn town(my opinion..Westchester,Ny is a better option) LLoyd Harbor.(very nice big lawns and big Houses but once again.. boring as hell.. you have to admit this..
I have lived in Long island most of my life but lived first 9 years in NYC and only have left for time in military. You are obviously not from around these parts,maybe from the deep south (GA,NC,FL). Port Jeff has been around since the 1700's and before, so Conn. want to be town---not likely and unfortunately the prices have gotten out of control but thats all across the U.S. People live on long island because it is close to the city but not on top of it; they can get there in an hour or less. You have sports everywhere,fishing,the hamptons,endless shopping, and "superior food" to any other state hands down. Also we are multicultural,and accepting of race,religion,and personal beliefs of most except for hate groups-- Then we do whats right and fight for the common people. Down south and in alot of the midwest you cannot say that (7 years in the Air Force- I know better).
As for people living with their parents sometimes people do this to save up until the time is right to move on,down south they do this for life. Also if you haven't noticed; this generation of teenagers is growing into some of the laziest bunch no matter where they are from.
So if you want to say that there is nothing to do in long island; it just means that you have to actually get off the couch,shut the tv off and go explore. Contact NY state and i'm sure they can send you visitor guides with info.

****NO EXCUSES NOW****

Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM

I never said I was from New York,, I lived on long island for a short time. I grew up outside of Pittsburgh, pa another duzzy of an area. . I lived all over the USA, and a stint in Peru. Look, I just think Long Island sucks. It is way way overpriced and what do you get for all that cost of living? not much in my opinion. anyway, Cheers, I'm not in a New York state of mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island