Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM

31 posts, read 137,267 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate and rent in Atlantic Beach, Long Beach, Lido Beach or Point Lookout. My Husband will work in Carle Place and I'll work in Queens. Since we're not familiar with the area I was hoping to hear everyone's thoughts on the areas mentioned. We're in our mid 30's and have an infant; being around other young families in a safe area would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 02:00 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
Atlantic Beach - expensive. And you have to deal with the BS in Lawrence SD which I would not touch with a 10 foot pole.

Someone else can tell you what the tax differences are between living in Long Beach (city) and the other areas which are Town of Hempstead.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:03 PM

31 posts, read 137,267 times
I don't know what the "BS" in Lawrence SD is all about, can you explain? Also the we'll be renting.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:12 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
I love Point Lookout....if I were to rent, thats where I would go.

Long Beach and Lido are nice too but not as family oriented........all great summer places.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
Lawrence SD - endless rounds of fighting between religious Jews who send their kids to private school (and now make up a sizeable chunk of the district--there are more private school students than public) and everyone else (the worst comes from non-religious Jews). Meanwhile taxes are high and scores are in free fall.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Lawrence SD - endless rounds of fighting between religious Jews who send their kids to private school (and now make up a sizeable chunk of the district--there are more private school students than public) and everyone else (the worst comes from non-religious Jews). Meanwhile taxes are high and scores are in free fall.
That is a mess...............

Old 04-29-2008, 05:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Atlantic Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords05 View Post
We are looking to relocate and rent in Atlantic Beach, Long Beach, Lido Beach or Point Lookout.

Sandwiched between the Village of Atlantic Beach on the west and the City of Long Beach on the east, you forgot the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach!

For those who may not be familiar with East Atlantic Beach:

East Atlantic Beach is a hamlet (an unincorporated area), on Long Beach Island, in the southwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on its northern border and proceeding clockwise, the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach in the Town of Hempstead is located on Long Beach Island, and is bordered on the north by Reynolds Channel; on the east by the City of Long Beach; on the south by the Atlantic Ocean; and, on the west by the Village of Atlantic Beach.

East Atlantic Beach is one of the many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach have an "Atlantic Beach, NY 11509" and "Long Beach, NY 11561" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
I like Point Lookout, too, but it is pretty remote unless you are traveling to the Meadowbrook Pkwy.

There are not many rentals in Atlantic Beach but you could find a decent place to rent in East Atlantic Beach or West Atlantic Beach, which is the area west of the bridge. It is actually a pretty good secret since not too many people get over that way. The houses are generally small but they are more spread apart than those in the west end of Long Beach.

Long Beach is basically broken into several sections. The West End is mostly converted bungalows or McMansions built on a 30x50 lot. The homes are close to each other and parking can be quite difficult, especially during the summer. Many bars & restaurants and the beach is within walking distance.

The middle of town (the northwest section known as Westholme, another area called The Walks etc) is made up larger homes with mixed population. You have Hasidic Jews, Hispanic, Black, Italian, Irish all next door to each other. This area has the railroad & bus station, city hall, police and majority of the shopping.

The Canals neighborhood is in the northeast section, another nice area. And the East End runs up to Lido Beach, mostly nice houses with a small pocket of stores around Monroe Blvd & E Park Ave. All along Broadway & Shore Road are apartment buildings & condos, many are right along the boardwalk.

For the most part the area is safe, except for the "North Park" community which is basically behind Waldbaum's. I would stay away from anything between Long Beach Blvd to Park Plc, Park Ave to the bay. This area is known for narcotics and the bulk of the crime in town.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:27 AM

12 posts, read 68,245 times
In Long Beach -Is bay side or ocean side nicer? any pros or cons?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by future docs mom View Post
In Long Beach -Is bay side or ocean side nicer? any pros or cons?
Ocean side is the way to go..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island