Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:36 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Bury electrical wires, and you introduce other issues. Like constant power outages, due to being wet all the time. Go talk to Con ed customers. You must be an electrical engineer?
Bury electric lines and you will be in court for decades over easements, right of ways and unknown buried objects that get dug up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 04:08 AM

99 posts, read 54,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Bury electric lines and you will be in court for decades over easements, right of ways and unknown buried objects that get dug up...
The utility already has easements for all their electrical lines/poles/etc. When the lines are located behind houses (like in Garden City) it may be a bigger job to do the work since you are contending with fences, shrubs, etc. but you can do directional drilling to get between pole locations and then build out underground vaults for the splice connections where the power drops to the house. The line between the house and vault can be installed as direct buried with a "ditch witch" used to help facilitate excavation.

Quote:
Bury electrical wires, and you introduce other issues. Like constant power outages, due to being wet all the time. Go talk to Con ed customers. You must be an electrical engineer?
You are aware that they make cable that can be direct buried and even submerged in water 100% of the time? Power lines are buried in Manhattan... you don't see them having power outages due to lines getting "wet" during normal times.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:09 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerBroker View Post

You are aware that they make cable that can be direct buried and even submerged in water 100% of the time? Power lines are buried in Manhattan... you don't see them having power outages due to lines getting "wet" during normal times.
Uhm, yea, no kidding, and yea, they do go bad from being wet all the time. Ask me how i know? Like I said, we have nothing but experts here on the LI forum

Old 08-20-2020, 05:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Uhm, yea, no kidding, and yea, they do go bad from being wet all the time. Ask me how i know? Like I said, we have nothing but experts here on the LI forum
Thoughts?

https://www.tdworld.com/intelligent-...yth-or-reality

Old 08-20-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The main issue, is the splices. Its not the wire itself, but splices, no matter how well protected, fail UG. It happens quite frequently. Con Ed workers love buried wire, its where they make all their OT.

Last edited by suzook; 08-20-2020 at 05:36 AM..

Old 08-20-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I am an engineer so maybe you can educate me further.

In reference to your other post: UG vaults, where splices are made, have drainage to prevent the splices from sitting in water. Even so, fresh water (from rain) is not a concern. All the commercial and institutional facilities I have built have underground electrical distribution.

Now if it floods (from a Sandy event) and the vaults get filled up with salt water then I can see there being a potential problem.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I am an engineer so maybe you can educate me further.

In reference to your other post: UG vaults, where splices are made, have drainage to prevent the splices from sitting in water. Even so, fresh water (from rain) is not a concern. All the commercial and institutional facilities I have built have underground electrical distribution.

Now if it floods (from a Sandy event) and the vaults get filled up with salt water then I can see there being a potential problem.
Have you seen the ug vaults, and Manholes in NYC? Filled with water, and trust me, fresh water does damage, add salt from the the winter, and we have a real nice cocktail. Again, I have dealt with it 1st hand. Stay in your office, and do something productive.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Have you seen the ug vaults, and Manholes in NYC? Filled with water, and trust me, fresh water does damage, add salt from the the winter, and we have a real nice cocktail. Again, I have dealt with it 1st hand. Stay in your office, and do something productive.
Well that sounds like a O&M issue and not necessarily a design flaw. Pick your poison: Ugly elevated power lines that fall down during wind storms or UG power lines that sometimes fail when you forget to do O&M.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Well that sounds like a O&M issue and not necessarily a design flaw. Pick your poison: Ugly elevated power lines that fall down during wind storms or UG power lines that sometimes fail when you forget to do O&M.
So I proved my point. No company does O&M. So to completely bury an existing above ground plant is pointless. Sure, new neighborhoods, but existing?? Too much $, for not much if any benefit.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:01 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
So I proved my point. No company does O&M. So to completely bury an existing above ground plant is pointless. Sure, new neighborhoods, but existing?? Too much $, for not much if any benefit.
Just a shame they didn’t start 30 years ago though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island