Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 07:39 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,202,682 times

Advertisements

Wondering. The LIRR trains aren't that crowded because there are so many going to Penn but the Atlantic Terminal train is packed although the financial district seems to be empty. Subway lines are another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 07:40 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Wondering. The LIRR trains aren't that crowded because there are so many going to Penn but the Atlantic Terminal train is packed although the financial district seems to be empty. Subway lines are another matter.
I've been commuting since day one. Trains are still empty. Not sure what your talking about.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:56 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
I haven’t gone in since first week in March. Brooklyn trains have been getting more crowded for 7 years now. I used to get a 3 seater to myself. There are days before the plague where I couldn’t get a seat. On the way home my direct train that skipped jamaica used to be 60% full as of March it was closer to 85%. Mostly Wall Street people.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:57 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,202,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I haven’t gone in since first week in March. Brooklyn trains have been getting more crowded for 7 years now. I used to get a 3 seater to myself. There are days before the plague where I couldn’t get a seat. On the way home my direct train that skipped jamaica used to be 60% full as of March it was closer to 85%. Mostly Wall Street people.
Interesting. I only go in once in awhile but my son was complaining because he recently got called back to work 3 days a week and has noticed the difference since he travels between 2 locations and thought it odd there were so many Penn based trains that were practically empty but only 1 Brooklyn bound train which was getting more and more crowded by the day.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:37 PM

151 posts, read 130,068 times
Everyone thinks that Penn Station will be a mosh pit, that only inevitably makes atlantic terminal a mosh pit.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:19 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
I canceled my monthly Mail and Ride for the rest of 2020

Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 AM

268 posts, read 177,091 times
2020 will be remembered as a dead year for the LIRR. You will not see packed trains again until at least early 2021 and even then it will never reach the rush hour capacity it once was again. Kind of a good thing for us commuters who never got a seat. Bad for the economy in general. But, times change and things evolve.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:03 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
2020 will be remembered as a dead year for the LIRR. You will not see packed trains again until at least early 2021 and even then it will never reach the rush hour capacity it once was again. Kind of a good thing for us commuters who never got a seat. Bad for the economy in general. But, times change and things evolve.
Certainly not the same because few rely upon airplane for daily usage, but the industry has predicted the traffic will not come back to 2019 levels until 2024.

https://www.businessinsider.com/airl...-delays-2020-7

I think the most interesting point made is this little nugget, lifted from the above:

"consumer confidence is weak in the face of concerns over job security and rising unemployment, as well as risks of catching COVID-19".

That right there is what is at the heart of all recovery. Confidence is weak. Regardless of what you are talking about in terms of recovery. Perhaps, the housing market can be excluded as many flea big cities.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:07 AM

268 posts, read 177,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Certainly not the same because few rely upon airplane for daily usage, but the industry has predicted the traffic will not come back to 2019 levels until 2024.

https://www.businessinsider.com/airl...-delays-2020-7

I think the most interesting point made is this little nugget, lifted from the above:

"consumer confidence is weak in the face of concerns over job security and rising unemployment, as well as risks of catching COVID-19".

That right there is what is at the heart of all recovery. Confidence is weak. Regardless of what you are talking about in terms of recovery. Perhaps, the housing market can be excluded as many flea big cities.
Well yes, I don't think you will even see any kind of mental "recovery" from Covid until there is an understanding that a majority of people get that shot in their arm, and that means early 2021 at best. As far as transportation traffic that will take even longer. 2024 for airlines seems crazy but I'm willing to believe it.

As far as housing goes, I'm curious what the numbers are like or will be when all this is said and done. I would imagine that the suburbs are seeing a spike in buyers and (maybe) overall property values due to city fleeing?

Old 08-08-2020, 08:12 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
Well yes, I don't think you will even see any kind of mental "recovery" from Covid until there is an understanding that a majority of people get that shot in their arm, and that means early 2021 at best. As far as transportation traffic that will take even longer. 2024 for airlines seems crazy but I'm willing to believe it.

As far as housing goes, I'm curious what the numbers are like or will be when all this is said and done. I would imagine that the suburbs are seeing a spike in buyers and (maybe) overall property values due to city fleeing?
Last month 1m+ properties up 151%
800k-1m +80%
Hamptons and north fork is nuts

We should all get ready there is some type of WFH tax that will hit us eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island