Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 06:50 AM

151 posts, read 129,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The dirty looks are probably for the neighbors rather than you because they ordered food from places that they are not supposed to order from.
Great Neck is still more tolerant than the south shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 11:15 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindness_is_kind View Post
We haven’t looked at it much, the commute on Port Wash line seems a bit better, schools a bit better and some selling factor of being at the shore...

In GC you'll have both the main and Hempstead branches. Granted, it runs through Jamaica but most run express. Can't deny that the PW commute might be a few minutes faster but trains are mostly packed.

Schools are about the same quality between GC and the towns you're looking at. In GC you're closer to 'everything' including Jones Beach and the South Shore. You'll also get more 'house for the money' in GC, and GC there are many more community activities. Since you're considering Manhasset your budget must be $1M+. Between $1M-$1.2M expect a starter home in an undesirable area in Manhasset, whereas you can buy a very nice house in GC.

My wife is from Manhasset and we both live in GC and we frequently disagree about these things

Old 08-24-2020, 04:25 AM

12 posts, read 20,796 times
Thanks everyone again. Budget - we were planning with ~1.5 with maybe a bit of flex, from what we’ve seen so far this gets us a small house in Manhasset in needs of some renovation vs a decent sized house in Great Neck (both in reasonably convenient locations). So there’s that as well. We’re considering now moving to Great Neck first with the idea of potential move to Manhasset later if we find something good but then that doesn’t settle the mind really...

We’re also bit weirded out why the market in Great Neck seems so soft relatively to Manhasset. The number of houses turning over seems a lot lower than Manhasset too.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:32 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Exm is correct your money will go much farther in GC for a comparable house. Only problem with GC is its an “oasis” as a RE once said to us. North Shore more bucolic overall. Inwoukd not get caught up in the PW line. My DH commuted from both places and preferred GC as you never have to worry about when you get to Penn to get a train. Honestly what it comes down to is how far you want your money to go and where in the island you really want to live geographically. Buying a home is such a hassle I can’t imagine punting on this and saying well we will just move again in a few years - you’re NOT going to want to move again in a few years. Especially with kids.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:17 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Quote:

We’re also bit weirded out why the market in Great Neck seems so soft relatively to Manhasset. The number of houses turning over seems a lot lower than Manhasset too.

Manhasset is predominantly Irish Catholic with some asians.

GN south is predominantly asian (the progressive secular jews that use to move to GN now go to Roslyn/Syosset). GN North is persian/asian with increasing orthodox jewish pop.

You figure out why Manhasset is more desirable.

I'm an asian guy that grew up in GN south in the 80's/90s. When my time in the city was up, and my 2 kids popped out (and that bum Deblasio was elected), even I did not want to move back to Great Neck... its way too asian, even for an asian dude. So I ended up in East Hills/Roslyn which reminded of GN in 80's/90s demographic wise.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:38 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone again. Budget - we were planning with ~1.5 with maybe a bit of flex, from what we’ve seen so far this gets us a small house in Manhasset in needs of some renovation vs a decent sized house in Great Neck (both in reasonably convenient locations). So there’s that as well. We’re considering now moving to Great Neck first with the idea of potential move to Manhasset later if we find something good but then that doesn’t settle the mind really...

In case you're wondering what you can buy in GC with your budget...

https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Gard...ILY_HOME_type/

Old 08-24-2020, 09:09 AM

12 posts, read 20,796 times
Thanks.. this has been really helpful. I feel a bit sorry for Great Neck now, should be such gem ! And after spending some time across places I second most of the opinions.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:10 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Somebody put way too much money into flipping a house on Clinch.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:15 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Somebody put way too much money into flipping a house on Clinch.
Yep and looking to make a half a mil on it too. Sold Jan of 18 for $869K

Old 08-27-2020, 12:32 AM

565 posts, read 361,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe83 View Post
If you're looking in those areas, firstly - I'm guessing you're quite wealthy, or if not, you both make 150K+ salaries. If that's part of it, each area is a pretty good choice if you're looking for that high-living type of life.

Manhasset school district is good but lots of very spoiled kids go there. There's a very strong caste system in it. Teachers are practically bullied by students quite often. I have a friend who was a former math teacher in Manhasset, who left teaching entirely because of how disgusted he was in regards to how the kids behaved and how the district allowed it to happen. Administration basically told him to let them do whatever they want and not rock the boat because their family's money was important to the school. Keep that in mind.

You mentioned you were mixed couple Asian/White? So are we. Great Neck would probably be a great place for you if you value having a nearby Asian community, as there are many restaurants and Asian grocery stores in Great Neck and the community is quite large.

Port Washington. If you love being by the water and generally enjoy a "port town" feeling, it's a great place. Be warned - VERY hilly. If we have a bad winter it can be a nightmare. Last stop before you hit Queens/City on the LIRR too so that's a huge plus if you're commuting. Also has a very large Asian community.

With Great Neck and Port Washington you're also very close to Flushing, which has possibly one of the largest East Asian communities in the entire United States.

In any case, you'll probably enjoy living in any of them. Just be warned that Great Neck and especially Manhasset have Queens-level road traffic , and driving through there is incredibly infuriating.
That's a selling point? Being close to Flushing? Maybe in the 70s and 80s. Not now. Unless you're literally from mainland China, you are not welcome. Not to mention it was ground zero for covid 19...and my money is same will be for covid 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island