Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
I believe the original poster stated she lived in an apartment in Queens. To me that says she may not have an issue with the diversity in Malverne schools. My children attend Malverne schools and the parents from Lakeview I have come to know are middle class, civic minded parents-they just happen to be minorities. Don't discount Malverne schools. Much improvement has been made in the past 5 years and there are many Malverne residents starting to come back.
Where did I say anything about THE RACE of who goes to Malverne schools? If only you knew more about me (like where I live). You wouldn't make that accusation so lightly. Maybe you are writing this post because race in the schools is an issue to YOU, but don't assume everyone else is cut from the same cloth, okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:27 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
okay, please try not to accuse people of racism . Neither post was offensive that way.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
o
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Original Poster also is pregnant and needs a good school district.

That would NOT be Elmont. As per Newsday:

11 LI school districts tagged as substandard -- Schools, Long Island -- Newsday.com

Nassau County
Elmont
Freeport
Hempstead
Roosevelt

Suffolk County
Amityville*
Brentwood
Central Islip
Copiague
Little Flower**
Longwood
South Country

* Partly in Nassau County.

** Little Flower School District is run by a nonprofit charity and serves about 110 students with disabilities.

See post //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...bstandard.html
As an educator AND a parent, I certainly wouldn't base a home purchase, nor a choice of schools on a Newsday Article.

I strongly suggest that parents conduct more in-depth research.

To be sure, schools everywhere have their strong points, weak points, unique issues.

It is necessary to know exactly how the districts were/are rated.

Also, it's necessary to vary research data/sources (i.e., parents, teachers, recent alumni are great resources),

as well it's necessary to factor in particular child's greatest needs and parents' greatest concerns

Listen, I can tell you some stories...as someone who attended and has worked within the oh-so-highly-rated schools.

but I digress...

At any rate, a child's upbringing, parental love, guidance and the child's own interests and commitment are the ingredients to academic success, not really the school district rating.
Put a kid with all of these in a safe, academically challenging environment and the sky's the limit.

Back to the issue at hand---She will have a number of years before her child attends even Elementary School, and the overall school district ratings according to NY Newsday are not reflective enough to reach a conclusion.

Last edited by DonnaReed; 05-08-2008 at 10:48 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I won't argue that Elmont isn't a desirable district, simply because it's known everywhere else as being no good, but maybe a more important question would be is Elmont a good district?

Greatschools.net only gives Elmont MJSHS a 6/10, however it appears they only have data for 7th & 8th grade classes. The parent reviews are 4/5 and not a negative one to be found.

From: Parent Reviews of Elmont Memorial Junior/Senior High School - Elmont, New York - NY
There are a variety of Academic programs offered including review classes for all majors test and exams. Teachers are available before and after classes to explain any area of difficulty students may encounter in any subject area. They have had great representation in the Math and Science Fairs over the years. Students have options for music participation. The school has representation the all music programs open to school...example, All County Music and NYSSMA. They continue to excel in sports such as football, basketball, lacrosse, volleyball, and others. There are a number of extracurricular activities for student involvement. Some programs that are considered impressive are, Key Club, Leadership Core, Talented and Gifted Club, FBLA, Model UN, and many more. Parent involvement is viewed satisfactory and there is much being done to improve this.

Standard Rankings from the '06-'07 school year: //www.city-data.com/forum/1805859-post33.html
Miller Place High School (Miller Place)...................................149.9 (S/2%)
Valley Stream Central (VS Central)......................................149. 2 (N/3%)
Seaford High School (Seaford)......................................... ...147.7 (N/1%)
Plainedge Senior High School (Plainedge)..............................145.0 (N/6%)
H. Frank Carey HS (Sewanhaka)....................................... ..141.7 (N/13%)
Elmont Memorial (Elmont).......................................... ........141.1 (N/23%)
W. Tresper Clarke High School (East Meadow).......................138.3 (N/9%)
Shoreham-Wading River (Shoreham-Wading River)..................137.8 (S/2%)
Long Beach High School (Long Beach)..................................136.7 (N/14%)
Sewanhaka HS (Sewanhaka)....................................... .......136.3 (N/29%)
Newfield High School (Middle Country)..................................135.7 (S/13%)

Also, the Wikipedia page on this school has some other impressive information. 97% of the senior class graduated last year (a figure that was down from 100% in 2004) and 97% of those graduates attended college after graduating. Probably the most impressive figure, however, is that Elmont MJSHS had the largest number of African-American students scoring a 3 or higher on AP exams in the entire country!
Elmont Memorial High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I know nothing of this school district other than what's posted above and hearing that it's "not good". Just throwing the info out there, but a lot of that data is pretty impressive. I'd like to hear from anybody on here that either attended or has kids in Elmont.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in that list from Newsday, see my post in the original thread for a reason why.
Hmmm...that IS rather impressive.

*s*

Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,949 times
I think that if you are looking for a racially diverse, decent performing school district, go with Elmont. I think there are other towns on the border that do much better academically; however, they may not be as diverse, if that is indeed what you are in search of. New Hyde Park/Williston Park is another way to go. Good train line, excellent (although large) schools, diverse. Crime is lower there.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:44 PM

44 posts, read 150,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Personally, I know nothing of this school district other than what's posted above and hearing that it's "not good". Just throwing the info out there, but a lot of that data is pretty impressive. I'd like to hear from anybody on here that either attended or has kids in Elmont.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in that list from Newsday, see my post in the original thread for a reason why.
You have to live in Western Elmont to go to EMHS, otherwise you go to Sewanhaka HS. I went to EMHS and I'm wondering why Newsday placed it on the list and why the Elementary school district is labeled as "not good". Is it because the schools are diverse? Academically, they do as well as the rest of the schools in Nassau and Suffolk as proven by the data sean sean sean sean has posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island