Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 05:20 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHM51 View Post
What's considered garden city estates? Is that also known as garden city park? The area surrounding garden city high school? That's a really nice neighborhood, I just moved to New Hyde Park and I get depressed knowing their are mansions just a few blocks over. You drive down the streets and every house has banners and flags up for the prestigious colleges their kids are going to, never seen anything like that coming from Queens, guess no one wants to hang up a Hunter college banner outside. I tell my wife, we'll make it over there one day.

Meh. There are plenty - PLENTY - of middle class people in GC....we have the roster of where kids from class of 2019 went to college. Only five went to state schools. The vast majority of people cannot afford to spend $50K plus on college especially when most of them have another kid in college and another about to go or just graduated. They are just saddling their kids with college debt. If that's impressive to you, oh well. I was absolutely floored at where people I knew are sending their kids to college and honestly feeling sorry for some of the kids.

And no the estates is NOT GC Park. That's part of NHP school districts. THe estates is the part from about Tanners Pond RD west to about Stewart Ave. Merillon Ave is the border on the north side. It's a nice, insulated area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 05:50 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Meh. There are plenty - PLENTY - of middle class people in GC....we have the roster of where kids from class of 2019 went to college. Only five went to state schools. The vast majority of people cannot afford to spend $50K plus on college especially when most of them have another kid in college and another about to go or just graduated. They are just saddling their kids with college debt. If that's impressive to you, oh well. I was absolutely floored at where people I knew are sending their kids to college and honestly feeling sorry for some of the kids.

And no the estates is NOT GC Park. That's part of NHP school districts. THe estates is the part from about Tanners Pond RD west to about Stewart Ave. Merillon Ave is the border on the north side. It's a nice, insulated area.
I always said other than the Ivy leagues and maybe a very small few other big names most private universities are a complete waste of money.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:42 PM

376 posts, read 310,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I always said other than the Ivy leagues and maybe a very small few other big names most private universities are a complete waste of money.
Not necessarily. I went to college of aeronautics which is private and got a BS in Airport management. Also got my A&P licenses in high school. Work in aerospace and I’m fortunate enough to have a high income. School is what someone makes out of it. You can go to a big name school and just go through the motions and not be successful. College students need to take school seriously and I can’t stress internships enough. There is no such thing as too many internships and make yourself invaluable.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
Not necessarily. I went to college of aeronautics which is private and got a BS in Airport management. Also got my A&P licenses in high school. Work in aerospace and I’m fortunate enough to have a high income. School is what someone makes out of it. You can go to a big name school and just go through the motions and not be successful. College students need to take school seriously and I can’t stress internships enough. There is no such thing as too many internships and make yourself invaluable.
Specialized schools are obviously not what we're referring to. But some of these schools in the 50-70k range for kids who are just normal every day kids and their parents are making normal every day salaries is just insanity.

I remember I saw an interview with a girl who went to NYU. After a semester she said to her self this is crazy and applied to Pace. Her parents - who were paying - flipped out. BUt she stuck with it and graduated with a ton less debt. Parents like that only care about telling their friends where their kids are going.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbpcmom View Post
We are close to purchasing a home in Garden City in the area south of the court houses and west of the Mott section. Is there anything about this area we should be aware of before making this huge commitment? It seems very quiet even though it is surrounded by busier streets, however, we are not as familiar with this area as we previously spent most of our time looking at homes in the estates section.

TIA for your help.
I assume you're talking about the area bordered by 11th to the north and Stewart to the south? If so, a friend of mine lives on one of those streets with small children and they seem to like it. Seems like you get the benefit of living on relatively quiet residential streets but you're also close to shopping and the parkway.

Last edited by S.I.B.; 09-30-2020 at 07:55 AM..

Old 09-30-2020, 07:44 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
what I'm noticing in my area is that seemingly more kids are heading south to the big public universities (Clemson, South Carolina, etc.) compared to in the past.

My theory is that the out-of-state tuition for those schools, while more than SUNY, is cheaper than the typical northeast non-Ivy private school tuition (BC, Nova, Fordham, Loyola, etc.).

Old 09-30-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what I'm noticing in my area is that seemingly more kids are heading south to the big public universities (Clemson, South Carolina, etc.) compared to in the past.

My theory is that the out-of-state tuition for those schools, while more than SUNY, is cheaper than the typical northeast non-Ivy private school tuition (BC, Nova, Fordham, Loyola, etc.).
We have friends whose kids go to school here (and in the areas you mention) and it's because they're trying to get them to leave LI....however we looked at USC over the summer and my daughter was a lil put off by the extreme southern culture (confederate flags, etc) and this is a kid who grew up in NC. And that's in a large city...SC is a bit of sh*t show in the rural areas!

Old 09-30-2020, 09:30 AM

81 posts, read 67,993 times
Quote:
Franklin square and minneola don’t belong there. Maybe even floral park either.
First of all I said maybe for Mineola. Maybe I can agree with you on Franklin Square as that is more of an average area at least from what I heard but houses there go for $400-$500k which isn't too bad for Long Island. And finally I can't agree with you on Floral Park. Maybe the high school is so-so but the neighborhood itself is a decent neighborhood. I have family friends that live in Floral Park right near the Elmont border and never once have I felt unsafe there and never once have they felt unsafe there. So yeah, hopefully it sounds a little clearer now.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:35 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Franklin square and minneola don’t belong there. Maybe even floral park either.
FWIW, I am a former Mineola school district resident - born, raised, married and bought my own home there. The district gets a diminished nod as compared to Herricks and East Williston. However, that district has had a renaissance under the leadership of Dr. Michael Nagler, who took the reins over from Dr Licoploi who was less than stellar. Dr. Nagler was one of the finalists for Superintendent of the Year this year. He did not win but that speaks volumes of the direction that district is heading.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:54 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
FWIW, I am a former Mineola school district resident - born, raised, married and bought my own home there. The district gets a diminished nod as compared to Herricks and East Williston. However, that district has had a renaissance under the leadership of Dr. Michael Nagler, who took the reins over from Dr Licoploi who was less than stellar. Dr. Nagler was one of the finalists for Superintendent of the Year this year. He did not win but that speaks volumes of the direction that district is heading.
Really doesn't matter, its all about perception. Syosset schools could suck donkey nuts, every says they are great and housing prices reflect it. They don't have the best reputation, warranted or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island