Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 03:17 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I live in a 2 story colonial.... I don't have a door at the top of the 2nd floor stairs....... this is no different..

I have no info on what code is here on this. I would think if you are finishing the basement, you likely don't need one if you follow the appropriate rules regarding railing and the utilities are closeted away appropriately.

my brother in chicago has a basement without a door at the top of the stairs, its like any other level of the house, but obviously that is a whole nother set of building codes.
I did consider that as many homes are that way. One thing however, in a colonial for the most part the bedrooms are on the second floor and the "living" space is on the first. One would think that there is far less likelihood for guests to be walking around on the second floor than the first, as a matter of routine.

I am more interested in the design the OP is speaking of in his reply.

We were designing the stairs in a way that prevents falling. Like I said, I am interested in this design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 04:18 PM

1,262 posts, read 561,609 times
I'm looking for a door requirement, but absent one I would think that the basement becomes part of conditioned space within the building envelope and subject to all of the energy efficiency requirements (insulation, air exchanges, duct sealing)

Old 10-15-2020, 12:08 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,368 times
There are competing issues here. If the basement is unfinished, I believe that code requires a weatherproof, weatherstripped door between the conditioned and unconditioned spaces. If the basement is finished, heated and insulated to the level required of dwelling space, and the boiler room is enclosed, you likely can go without a door provided there is sufficient means of egress out of the basement. Either way, you could probably put in a pocket door and pass even you you elect to leave it open.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
There are competing issues here. If the basement is unfinished, I believe that code requires a weatherproof, weatherstripped door between the conditioned and unconditioned spaces. If the basement is finished, heated and insulated to the level required of dwelling space, and the boiler room is enclosed, you likely can go without a door provided there is sufficient means of egress out of the basement. Either way, you could probably put in a pocket door and pass even you you elect to leave it open.

OP said he is designing the stairs in a manner to prevent falling, I am still waiting to hear what that looks like.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:46 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

OP said he is designing the stairs in a manner to prevent falling, I am still waiting to hear what that looks like.
Why would one be any more likely to fall down a doorless stair to a basement compared to a doorless stair between a first and second floor?

In any event, here is such a design found in a 5 second search, if one cares.
https://finishedbasementnj.com/wp-co...464-scaled.jpg

Old 10-15-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Why would one be any more likely to fall down a doorless stair to a basement compared to a doorless stair between a first and second floor?

In any event, here is such a design found in a 5 second search, if one cares.
https://finishedbasementnj.com/wp-co...464-scaled.jpg
Answered previously, but generally speaking the living area is on the 1st floor and sleeping on the second. There is far more likelihood for guests to be walking near a basement staircase that they are not familiar with than an occupant, unless you are entertaining in the bedroom upstairs.

And as I said I am curious about the OP statement regarding stairs designed in such a way as to prevent falling. Unless I am missing something your photo shows an open staircase entrance and I don't see that as a design that prevents falling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: