Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 07:54 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,554,891 times

Advertisements

NYU is way superior to MT Sinai which has gone downhill. No brainer, go to NYU Winthrop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 08:29 AM

13 posts, read 19,901 times
IMO, I'd look at the stats for both hospitals (C-section rates, etc) and your physician's opinion and make your decision based on that. Not pictures of rooms or what so-and-so said. And congratulations!

Old 10-28-2020, 10:14 AM

13,068 posts, read 18,219,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by layladylay View Post
IMO, I'd look at the stats for both hospitals (C-section rates, etc) and your physician's opinion and make your decision based on that. Not pictures of rooms or what so-and-so said. And congratulations!
As stated earlier, the Dr. suggested either of those two hospitals. Unless the OP is different than most expectant parents there is a good deal of anxiety that comes in those last few weeks. More so if a first baby. The last thing, one needs is a traffic delay or accident and since you can't predict in advance the time you will be traveling, I believe the shorter the distance the better.

Outcomes are hard to look at because no two cases are alike and just because there was a higher c section rate in one place over the other really is meaningless unless you drill down into the specifics, which really would make a difference.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:03 AM

3,301 posts, read 2,385,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
First of all unless you're a celebrity you're not getting a private room. Personally I think all maternity wards should have private rooms but that's just me.

Second of all you can never tell what it's gonna be like when YOU give birth. When my sister had her twins she had her own room simply because no one else had given birth around the same time. Hospital was quiet as church. I have friends who was on a gurney in the hallway for hours after giving birth because it was so crowded. That's just luck of the draw. BUt you SHOULD absolutely ask about the visitor policy and how strictly enforced. I had my kids at NSUH and they STRICTLY enforce the 4 visitor policy and it amused me to no end to see people try and circumvent it. No can do. THey are on to every trick and don't put up with it.

I would pick Winthrop simply because they are probably better equipped should something go wrong, the fact that's closer and easier to get to is a bonus. No one every thinks the worst will happen. My niece had .01% chance of a complication and she and her baby almost died when she had him back in May and the baby had to go to a different hospital. Her husband is a doctor and I'm pretty sure if he wasn't they both might have had a different outcome. Not trying to be debbie downer but crap does happen - I spent 6 pre-natal weeks in the hospital once upon a time and have seen it all.....goes with the bigger hospital when you can. Bottom line childbirth is a medical thing and that should be the priority not the Laura Ashley wallpaper.
My wife had a private room in 2010 at Winthrop. Wasn’t even an issue. Have things changed in the past decade? I believe there are still single rooms. Maybe you have to pay extra these days.BTW, both my kids were born there and it was great despite having a horrific time there when my mother died there the year before.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:59 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,779,260 times
Go with Winthrop. South Nassau is where people go to die.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:37 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,326,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Go with Winthrop. South Nassau is where people go to die.
And South Suffolk if you add Good Sam.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:20 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,639,629 times
Winthrop without a doubt. Had mine there and I was an RN on Long Island.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:35 PM

565 posts, read 364,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Yep, Mt. Sinai South Nassau is the name and they are one and the same.
My brother's wife just had their baby two days ago at Winthrop. Seems to have went well.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:04 AM

732 posts, read 890,017 times
We decided to go with Winthrop.

Thanks all.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:11 AM

13 posts, read 19,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As stated earlier, the Dr. suggested either of those two hospitals. Unless the OP is different than most expectant parents there is a good deal of anxiety that comes in those last few weeks. More so if a first baby. The last thing, one needs is a traffic delay or accident and since you can't predict in advance the time you will be traveling, I believe the shorter the distance the better.

Outcomes are hard to look at because no two cases are alike and just because there was a higher c section rate in one place over the other really is meaningless unless you drill down into the specifics, which really would make a difference.
Statistics can serve as a guidance, they are available for a reason. I, in no way referred to them as the only guardrails for OP nor did I suggest distance should not be a factor (it should!). But thanks for taking the time to refute suggestions meant for someone else, it's been a pleasure.

OP, sounds like you made a great decision, congratulations again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island