Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 05:34 PM

101 posts, read 71,418 times

Advertisements

If there is no proof of any modifications from the outside of the house, cant you refuse access and tell them to kick rocks? If this was missed by multiple inspectors then what proof does anyone have these modifications even exist? What proof does the neighbor that called have?

Everyone in Islip renting illegal apartments refuses access to the inspector and they cant do anything about it because the 4th amendment protects you from unnecessary searches. The town says they are unable to meet the burden of proof necessary for a warrant. Why is it different in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBandit5433 View Post
Why is it different in this situation?
Anyone? Is it because its a different town so they care about different things? Islip claims the 4th amendment prevents them from doing anything about anything. Why would that apply in one town but not another? Theres a house by me that split the basement up into tiny rooms and rents to half a dozen people. Inspector cant do anything without being let in. Why does an inspector show up at OP’s house with no proof of anything, probably an anonymous complaint, and tell them to fix the issues when Islip turns a blind eye?

Old 11-12-2020, 01:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 560,498 times
Quote:
Anyone? Is it because its a different town so they care about different things? Islip claims the 4th amendment prevents them from doing anything about anything. Why would that apply in one town but not another? Theres a house by me that split the basement up into tiny rooms and rents to half a dozen people. Inspector cant do anything without being let in. Why does an inspector show up at OP’s house with no proof of anything, probably an anonymous complaint, and tell them to fix the issues when Islip turns a blind eye?
Have you considered the possibility that the municipality in question is violating the law by making assumptions on violations without witnessing?

Old 11-12-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Have you considered the possibility that the municipality in question is violating the law by making assumptions on violations without witnessing?
I have. Im not saying which town is right or wrong although I wish Islip would evict the illegal tenants in my neighbors basement. Im wondering why one town regards the 4th amendment differently then another. If it turns out OP’s town is violating the law he should fight it.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:59 AM

8 posts, read 4,566 times
Just updating... We hired an expediter and ran thru all our options. Basically, the Town of Riverhead just wants people to legalize everything, so he doesn't think it will be a hard reach. We will need to make some adjustments such as converting one area to pure storage, but that's simple enough.

Some benefits possibly is that he had me FOIL for everything the Building Department and Assessor had on the house. While they both gave conflicting info, with the Building Department stating that the amount of Rooms/Baths will show on the drawings (the drawings filed with town shows 5/3.5, and my house being dormered, which it isn't), but then actual building card shows that we have 3 beds, 3 baths (meaning one in the apartment), a playroom in the basement, and 2 kitchens.

So, we do not believe it's going to be extremely difficult to get this done as even our taxes are being based on an extra kitchen... Something doesn't make sense, but their (Riverhead) records seem so shoddy.

As for the Code Enforcement, they did not enter the house. They are assuming to know things, but haven't come back.

I'm just hoping that we can get everything in order with permits, etc. within 6 months as they seem to have a backlog right now due to Covid.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 4,566 times
Quote:
I have. Im not saying which town is right or wrong although I wish Islip would evict the illegal tenants in my neighbors basement. Im wondering why one town regards the 4th amendment differently then another. If it turns out OP’s town is violating the law he should fight it.
Expediter told us to not allow them access to the house without a court order. Short of a court order to come in, he said there is no way for them to know what exactly is down in the basement, but they know there is something so now that they've opened a file on the house, I can protest them entering as much as I want, but eventually they will get a court order. But he did say once we open the permits, it will all go away as we are now showing "a will to correct." Just hoping for a smooth process.

Now I'm dealing with PSEG and their arcane rebate rules...

Old 11-13-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forage3163 View Post
Expediter told us to not allow them access to the house without a court order. Short of a court order to come in, he said there is no way for them to know what exactly is down in the basement, but they know there is something so now that they've opened a file on the house, I can protest them entering as much as I want, but eventually they will get a court order. But he did say once we open the permits, it will all go away as we are now showing "a will to correct." Just hoping for a smooth process.

Now I'm dealing with PSEG and their arcane rebate rules...
Its good youre being cooperative but id tell the inspector to take a hike a dont come back until he has the court order. They dont have the proof to get it. No judge will force you to let strangers into your house with covid going on. Complaints from half a dozen neighbors isnt enough for Islip to get a court order to check an illegal apartment basement. It sounds like the inspector is hoping to scare you into getting permits for work that multiple inspectors somehow missed. He has no idea whats inside your house...

Old 11-20-2020, 06:26 AM

731 posts, read 767,425 times
Take out the second oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island