Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,779 times

Advertisements

Thank you Trusso. I have had quite a few people say the same thing about the fans lol. I have family with property upstate and it’s only a mile away from a cattle farmer and there is no smell at all. I going to have to get some trees. But the way my property is it’s going to be a fortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 08:36 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,507,432 times
We live on rural acreage in western Washington and this is our code: Lots with an area of one-half acre or more and less than or equal to one acre may keep one animal unit. Lots exceeding one acre in size may increase the number of animals at the rate of one animal unit per one-half acre of land area in excess of one acre. So, your neighbors could only have 3 animals. The sheep are excess.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:21 AM

983 posts, read 730,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adviseplease View Post
Thank you Trusso. I have had quite a few people say the same thing about the fans lol. I have family with property upstate and it’s only a mile away from a cattle farmer and there is no smell at all. I going to have to get some trees. But the way my property is it’s going to be a fortune.
You can get eastern white pine trees for $25 each.
They grow very fast. In 5 years you'll have a nice buffer zone.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:18 AM

20,323 posts, read 21,082,298 times
Contact the town. Have them open an investigation.
If there is any wrong doing they will deal with it accordingly.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:54 AM

78 posts, read 46,057 times
Buy a wolf, pitbull or something and let it loose

Last edited by Cartwheelmaster; 12-01-2020 at 07:06 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 03:31 PM

1,107 posts, read 557,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartwheelmaster View Post
What is wrong with you?

Old 12-02-2020, 06:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,422,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartwheelmaster View Post
I lol'ed to this comment.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:38 PM

50,545 posts, read 47,363,900 times
Having a dog would probably keep them from evacuating near the property line. Otherwise you may need to plan some fire pits yourself with some stinky stink for the days the winds change. Here they call those Santa Ana winds and we got the chain smokers next door to cooperate after a few days of burning green weeds and palm fronds. Some times you have to be a douche to convince a douche.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,396,309 times
The number of animals wouldn't be an issue if they properly disposed of the manure. That's what your complaint should center on.

Someone mentioned fire department. They have sniffers that detect noxious fumes. You might stop by and talk to them.
Another possible avenue is industrial hygiene.

I love Long Island. I managed 3 Navy facilities at Mitchell Field. Always enjoyed my trips out there.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:05 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,389,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The number of animals wouldn't be an issue if they properly disposed of the manure. That's what your complaint should center on.

Someone mentioned fire department. They have sniffers that detect noxious fumes. You might stop by and talk to them.
Another possible avenue is industrial hygiene.
Usually, the outrage caused by this situation runs in the opposite direction (That is, a suburban developer tries to "set up shop" next to an established dairy or livestock operation which as been in operation for years -- or generations). But in this case, it's the people with unrealistic visions of Green Acres who are disrupting a stable environment.

(To the OP, and speaking as a "farmer's kid"); The problem isn't the manure itself; it's the lack of an effective means to dispose of it -- no cropland upon which to spread it which, under normal conditions, will disperse the "bouquet" -- and quickly. One exception to this, however, is the raising of hogs/pigs -- cow manure dries and disperses more quickly.

Most suburban communities have a "municipal code", and there is often a clause or two included regarding the keeping of livestock (as opposed to domestic pets); these are often copied verbatim from reference books published precisely for this purpose -- but if the situation at hand is rare, it's likely that the officials in your city or "town" (what in most Northeastern states is called a "township") either isn't aware of it, or are intimidated by the cost of legal action. Pay a visit to both the offices of local government, -- and a library (where the code book is likely on file in the Reference section).

Best of luck -- and please keep us advised as to how this incident turns out.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-02-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island