Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 04:14 PM

297 posts, read 196,203 times

Advertisements

What would be the cost of converting a cape to a ranch?

Current layout of cape is about 30 x 24, yielding about ~1080 SQFT of living space. The layout of current house is disastrous and I was thinking of removing the useless 2nd floor as the ceilings are low and it forces stairs to be in middle of house.

If we remove 2nd floor, and add change 30x24 to about 45x35, we'd get about 1500 ish SQFT of usable space. I check zillow every day, and all I see is capes and expanded ranches without basements, neither of which qualify as real houses under my expectations.

How much would this cost? 30x24 w/ full basement to 45x35 w/ full basement dig out? Is this even possible to have contractors do the structural work + exterior? I wouldnt want to pay for interior work as well as I plan on changing all of the floor plans anyway once this is done as the current layout is abysmal.

Though as I'm typing this... it seems the easier option is to somehow buy an existing ranch that looks like it's been through hell and just DIY everything inside. I would do everything here but it's just impossible with a small cape. Even if everything is reno'd here, it will still be a small crappy cape. That's my reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 05:22 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Nah not gonna bite. You will no doubt balk at paying for the cost to do business. DIY after the roofing job is done, first.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:40 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
OP, you answered your own question, it would likely be cheaper (and much easier) to buy the house you want to replace the one you have.

On the other hand, and if your lot is big enough, and the city would let you, maybe you could get a quote to simply add on a four or six-car garage with a breezeway to connect to your existing house, with sliding glass doors in the rear of it. You could then put in a nice three or four season room at the rear of the garage (walling it off from the rest), and over time, remove the dormers in your cape, and replace the existing stairs with a pull-down set, to allow egress to the (now storage-only) attic. Obviously, you'd want to block or greatly reduce the HVAC ductwork to the attic as part of the process. This could be done over a period of time such that you could make it affordable. OR, just leave it alone and use the upstairs for storage, why spend money to make the property less livable?

I do understand where you're coming from, I had friends with Cape Cods growing up, and I never saw the appeal, I sure never wanted to live in one. But what they do, is maximize interior space, they're probably the lowest-cost per square foot home you could build in a "traditional" manner (barndominiums excluded). But yeah, steep stairs, and especially if you don't have a bathroom adjacent to the often-cramped attic bedrooms - no thanks.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:50 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Nah not gonna bite. You will no doubt balk at paying for the cost to do business. DIY after the roofing job is done, first.
Haha good point. And good catch !

Old 12-05-2020, 07:11 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Clearly you are not doing this. If your built bare bones raw space with builder grade materials and don’t need new hvac outside some ducts or radiators. No plumbing and just some outlets and lights, about 65-70k minimum. Allot of $$ for 330 sq ft with half being unfinished excavation. This is one crazy idea. A cape to a colonial sure, building out and excavating a basement is crazy. Building out over a slab is way more economical.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Clearly you are not doing this. If your built bare bones raw space with builder grade materials and don’t need new hvac outside some ducts or radiators. No plumbing and just some outlets and lights, about 65-70k minimum. Allot of $$ for 330 sq ft with half being unfinished excavation. This is one crazy idea. A cape to a colonial sure, building out and excavating a basement is crazy. Building out over a slab is way more economical.
Economically I would be living in Arizona. It's one thing to pay a high price for a home, it's another to pay a high price and get nothing in return.

A 1500 SQFT full basement ranch is moneys worth.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:50 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Def way more than what you would want to pay. lol.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
OP, you answered your own question, it would likely be cheaper (and much easier) to buy the house you want to replace the one you have.

On the other hand, and if your lot is big enough, and the city would let you, maybe you could get a quote to simply add on a four or six-car garage with a breezeway to connect to your existing house, with sliding glass doors in the rear of it. You could then put in a nice three or four season room at the rear of the garage (walling it off from the rest), and over time, remove the dormers in your cape, and replace the existing stairs with a pull-down set, to allow egress to the (now storage-only) attic. Obviously, you'd want to block or greatly reduce the HVAC ductwork to the attic as part of the process. This could be done over a period of time such that you could make it affordable. OR, just leave it alone and use the upstairs for storage, why spend money to make the property less livable?

I do understand where you're coming from, I had friends with Cape Cods growing up, and I never saw the appeal, I sure never wanted to live in one. But what they do, is maximize interior space, they're probably the lowest-cost per square foot home you could build in a "traditional" manner (barndominiums excluded). But yeah, steep stairs, and especially if you don't have a bathroom adjacent to the often-cramped attic bedrooms - no thanks.
what about this...

live in cape for 3/4 years paying low mortgage. invest rest of cash in stocks and sell in 3/4 years once a ranch foreclosure hits the market. then grieve taxes since sale price is low and reno everything inside quietly and reap low taxes + spankin house? then sell or rent out current cape (probably sell).

Old 12-05-2020, 10:35 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
what about this...

live in cape for 3/4 years paying low mortgage. invest rest of cash in stocks and sell in 3/4 years once a ranch foreclosure hits the market. then grieve taxes since sale price is low and reno everything inside quietly and reap low taxes + spankin house? then sell or rent out current cape (probably sell).
If all those balls line up for you, 10-4, Good Buddy. I just saw now that you're on Long Island, so yeah, you're in a pricey neighborhood. In about two months, Scottsdale is going to be looking even better.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:21 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
A cape to a colonial sure, building out and excavating a basement is crazy.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island