Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:09 PM

46 posts, read 189,071 times

Advertisements

Tom - Eastport/South Manor let go of some teachers. So did Longwood and Floyd.

As for getting a job. You have to be good and interview well. Unfortunately, Dowling, Hofstra, and other LI schools are pumping out cookie cutter teachers. Most of them have never left LI and couldn't point out China on a map. I've had three student students in the past three years. NONE of the them are ever going to get a job on LI unless they take like and guys out of their vocabulary.

So, it's not impossible to get a job in a good district. You just have to stand out a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 04:57 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
It is a sore topic for me; I'm sorry if I come off too harshly on this board.

The way school districts hire, and the sheer volume of them, confound me. If they were a business they'd be out of business years ago. I honestly have no problem with paying the teachers well, I understand the high cost of living here, and the difficulty of the job. I don't understand the layers of government etc etc.

Why is getting a position that would be considered "normal" in most areas of the country, considered like winning the lottery here? Benefits and pension are good, salary good, but come on, we're not talking Major League baseball salaries.

FYI - LI Schools have or plan to lay off a number of teachers this year, due to budget cuts, which makes the market harder.
I think its due to the sheer numbers of applicants. My wife tells me that there is stack of applicants in the main office that toatls almost 4 feet tall! and thats one small elementary school. If your app is on the bottom, well good luck!

Old 05-10-2008, 06:07 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,020 times
Getting into LI Schools really depends on the applicant. The good teachers usually get hired. In elementary schools, it is sometimes who you know. I teach high school...I didn't know a single person in public school and I graduated from private school all my life. I had no connections at all and I was offered full-time tenure track positions at Garden City, Great Neck N., and Bellmore-Merrick. I choose the one I wanted most. Another one of my friends was a great candidate at the elementary level and she got a LI job no problem.

A few of my other friends from the same college program (who make wonderful teachers) but had average resumes either are unemployed or teach in either private school or Queens for much less money.

My advice is to make sure your resume has unique features or you will not be picked out of the 500 applications for a job. Try to join activities related to your field or scholarly societies. If you have any awards, put them down. If you could coach or run a club, allude to it on your resume. (When I was in H.S., I did Mock Trial and Speech and Debate, so I included it on my resume under my college activities. Some schools were interested in it and now....I am a Mock Trial coach at my school).

Best of luck!

Old 05-10-2008, 06:11 AM

Oh I forgot,

When you do get the call for an interview...it is your one time to make an impression. Wear a suit, bring a portfolio, and practice interviewing as much as you can. At Adelphi, we had an interview workshop and it was great. Look online you questions they ask as well. Many of the questions I practiced showed up during the interviews...as well as some unique ones.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Well, I play ice hockey and played at a college level (women's), so I could possibly teach HS ice hockey. But I was told not to put that in my resume, should I include it?

Old 05-10-2008, 08:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,366 times
Hofstra never had practice interviews. That would have been tremendous help for me. They kind of just had me fill my requirements and sent me on my merry way. But that is just my own personal experience. I'm sure others would disagree.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Longwood is defiantely laying off teachers. I hear about 40 ; maybe that number is less or more.

But we all have to pay for those double dipping administrators.
I know its off topic, but what happeend to the honesty of being retired. Surely retirement means retirement,

Read Newsday today.
d

Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Here is a link to a site with great practice interview questions.

Teacher Interview Questions

Old 05-11-2008, 03:49 PM

197 posts, read 511,551 times
School official retires one day, is rehired the next -- -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Here's the Newsday article. I think it is very positive. The public is paying attention, legislation is being changed/introduce and the people taking gross advantage of the existing pay parameters are getting caught and stopped. Change is possible if people speak up.

Newsday is doing a great job publishing the facts and these people's names so their communites can take notice.

I have a really hard time believing that they can't find qualified individuals to fill the retiree's shoes.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 PM

103 posts, read 377,780 times
My wife is working in Brooklyn as a guidance counselor while actively looking for a LI position for both the better commute and pay. She has gotten a couple interviews on LI, but she said they're all the same. They call them 'screening interviews', which she describes as very short and unfriendly. No personal questions are asked, just a few 'what if' type scenarios. She said that they didn't even introduce themselves at more than one of these interviews. I suspect that these are just a formality as they have probably already decided who is getting the job but the district likely requires that they hold interviews. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they bogus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island