Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 04:27 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,421,169 times

Advertisements

Support your local business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 05:42 AM

1,296 posts, read 579,557 times
Cars in the street are outside the jurisdiction of Town code enforcement. Police issue if they aren't properly parked, registered, etc. There are some regulations on long term parking where a car may be considered abandoned.

On the property, as long as cars are parked on a driveway or other paved surface, not visibly in disrepair (meaning not functional, not just ugly or needing a paint job), or visibly without current plates/registration, you're stuck with them. Burden of proof is on the prosecution to determine business is being done, so unless there are massive signs or other real proof of business use, you may be out of luck from an enforcement standpoint. If the vehicles are in disrepair/unregistered, there is a violation process with a specified time frame to clear them out or at least show progress. The Town doesn't remove personal property; the remedy would be court summons and possible fine. It will take some time.

Also, don't be the guy who sees this activity and turns around and submits an unsubstantiated report of illegal apartments or other activity to get a quicker response out of code enforcement. Given the neighborhood, I can tell you from experience that there are a lot of overinflated complaints that essentially all boil down to "non-white non-rich people seen in AB." Be honest in the complaint and it makes the Towns job much easier.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:00 AM

20,282 posts, read 21,044,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
still cold or...warmer?
You’ll never find me in the dirty south. I like distinct seasons.
Harsh winters separate the men from the boys.
Keeps the uppity city riff raff away.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:52 AM

3,301 posts, read 2,384,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
My neighbor...wait...I don’t have neighbors anymore!!!
You lucky son of a *****

Old 02-16-2021, 09:59 AM

The problem is that it is a public street. Anyone can park there. Should the? No. But some people have no consideration. Maybe get a petition from all the neighbors. My sister used to drive one of those short school buses and would sometime park in her driveway. Eventually, all of the surrounding neighbors signed a petition that said it was an eye site so she was no longer able to park it in her own driveway.

If you can prove he is selling all of these cars, that means he is doing business in a residential area. That is not allowed.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:14 AM

22,723 posts, read 36,933,257 times
The time to complain was when they didn't have inspection and registration stickers, now there's not much you can do unless AB forbids street parking. You're going to need to find out if any laws or ordinances are being violated. AB is a village so I wouldn't be surprised if there is something on the books regulating this. Of course, in LB and AB everyone is related so if your neighbor is related to or friends with someone at Village Hall you're SOL.

ETA: Found this in the Village Code in about 3 minutes flat:
No person shall park any vehicle on any public or private road within the corporate limits of the Village of Atlantic Beach for more than 48 hours regardless of any other parking regulations.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The time to complain was when they didn't have inspection and registration stickers, now there's not much you can do unless AB forbids street parking. You're going to need to find out if any laws or ordinances are being violated. AB is a village so I wouldn't be surprised if there is something on the books regulating this. Of course, in LB and AB everyone is related so if your neighbor is related to or friends with someone at Village Hall you're SOL.

ETA: Found this in the Village Code in about 3 minutes flat:
No person shall park any vehicle on any public or private road within the corporate limits of the Village of Atlantic Beach for more than 48 hours regardless of any other parking regulations.
That problem is easily solved. The car dealer is gonna hear from the code enforcement dept. then he is going to retaliate against the complainer by simply swapping car A with Car B, etc every 48 hours. What could the village do about it when that happens?

Old 02-16-2021, 04:28 PM

22,723 posts, read 36,933,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
That problem is easily solved. The car dealer is gonna hear from the code enforcement dept. then he is going to retaliate against the complainer by simply swapping car A with Car B, etc every 48 hours. What could the village do about it when that happens?
Not my circus, not my monkeys. But, I seriously doubt the guy can do that, because if he could, that would mean he has a place to store cars and clearly he doesn't.

Otherwise, not my problem.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Not my circus, not my monkeys. But, I seriously doubt the guy can do that, because if he could, that would mean he has a place to store cars and clearly he doesn't.

Otherwise, not my problem.
He could just swap them. In other words, 6 in the driveway and 3 in the street. Mix and match. He can’t get a ticket for parking longer than 48 hours.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:30 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,775,709 times
People that store junk cars always think they are going to fix them eventually or use them or whatever. They can't help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island