Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 05:08 AM

1,277 posts, read 571,737 times

Advertisements

They sell for so much because people are willing to pay so much for crap. That, and people from Long Island have convinced ourselves that nowhere else is worth living and suburban lifestyle doesn't exist outside the area.

I really don't know how anyone can objectively look at the housing prices elsewhere and not be disgusted for what we are paying here. Just look at how much house, with modern designs, efficiencies, and amenities, one can have outside this area... and with virtually no property tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 05:59 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,894,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
They sell for so much because people are willing to pay so much for crap. That, and people from Long Island have convinced ourselves that nowhere else is worth living and suburban lifestyle doesn't exist outside the area.

I really don't know how anyone can objectively look at the housing prices elsewhere and not be disgusted for what we are paying here. Just look at how much house, with modern designs, efficiencies, and amenities, one can have outside this area... and with virtually no property tax
Not only do people buy crappy houses for mega bucks, some of them knock them down and rebuild to their liking or put in hundreds of thousands to remodel what’s there.

Very few are unaware that there are much cheaper places to live but, cost of living isn’t the only thing that matters in life. That too should be understandable.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:41 AM

20,151 posts, read 20,937,684 times
Quote:

Yup. It’s called denial. Of the truth.
But, I hope everyone continues to “love” LI and stays put.
Just stay there.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:28 AM

450 posts, read 388,359 times
Quote:

And jobs magically appear when you move?
I really don't understand why every single thread about housing in the LI subforum turns into convincing war that people must move away. Are you guys also offering relocation assistance or job security?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
And jobs magically appear when you move?
I really don't understand why every single thread about housing in the LI subforum turns into convincing war that people must move away. Are you guys also offering relocation assistance or job security?
I for one, don’t want anybody to leave.
I want everyone to stay.
Imagine closing the asylum and letting the inmates out into the world.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:39 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,351,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I for one, don’t want anybody to leave.
I want everyone to stay.
Imagine closing the asylum and letting the inmates out into the world.

That's what they did with Kings Park Psychiatric Center.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:13 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,831,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
That's what they did with Kings Park Psychiatric Center.
Off topic, but that's what Reagan did with every psych hospital. Emptied them onto the streets and into prisons. We've been dealing with homeless and drug epidemics and the highest % of citizens incarcerated ever since. Epic fail.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,907,088 times
It's not even crap inventory vs. nice, it's just the inflated prices making it all ludicrous to find something of good value. Someone looking at $500k houses would be looking at houses that cost $300k over 10 years ago and in that sort of condition.

I would never find something like my home again should I sell and want to come back in the future. Unless forced to move, people hold onto something that's got some desirability left. The new going-prices are insane. We look to gain $250k from our spend if we sell now. 2 plain old ranches 3 bed 2 bath just sold for over $600k each down the road.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-03-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 01:17 PM

You are mostly paying for zip codes.
If the house is habitable it’s a bonus.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:27 PM

185 posts, read 228,745 times
ITT: a lot of people who moved off LI and are bitter that they weren’t successful enough to afford living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island