Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 04:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,319,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
ITT: a lot of people who moved off LI and are bitter that they weren’t successful enough to afford living there.
Could be. My wife and I make more now than we did on LI, because our careers aren’t tied to LI. In fact, both of our companies are remote work.

Our extended family on LI is split between moving as soon as the kids are out of high school and staying put due to longstanding friendships and a tight social circle.

I don’t begrudge anyone staying, but value for money is very low for anyone who is middle class or higher. Many people, especially during 2020, have learned that their jobs are portable and they can work anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 10:13 AM

46 posts, read 40,934 times
Came across someone on another forum (non NYer) whining about how their 2000+ SF 3BR home was "too cramped" for the couple and toddler and was looking to sell after three years to upgrade (no addl kids planned)

I blame HGTV and Pinterest for outlandish expectations

Old 03-07-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienCheese View Post
Came across someone on another forum (non NYer) whining about how their 2000+ SF 3BR home was "too cramped" for the couple and toddler and was looking to sell after three years to upgrade (no addl kids planned)

I blame HGTV and Pinterest for outlandish expectations
Assuming of course that house has a basement. Unlike most on LI it’s not always a given in other places.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,428,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
ITT: a lot of people who moved off LI and are bitter that they weren’t successful enough to afford living there.
This.

It says something about a person who sticks it out & makes it work rather than move away (which believe it or not, is the easy thing to do, staying here and try to make a living on Long Island - that’s the hard thing)

Ppl can live nice lives here but you gotta be a hustler & work really hard if you want to make it

I know ppl who work 2 jobs or more but they want to live here so they do what they need to. Moving is giving up

#SorryNotSorry

Old 03-08-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This.

It says something about a person who sticks it out & makes it work rather than move away (which believe it or not, is the easy thing to do, staying here and try to make a living on Long Island - that’s the hard thing)

Ppl can live nice lives here but you gotta be a hustler & work really hard if you want to make it

I know ppl who work 2 jobs or more but they want to live here so they do what they need to. Moving is giving up

#SorryNotSorry
I understand your viewpoint but not your logic here. People should stick it out and work harder because they have to?

I suppose moving is “giving up”, but in my case it was a corporate relocation that paid more. Followed by another relocation that paid still more. Obviously these aren’t $50K jobs.

Unfortunately there aren’t many companies that will pay you to move to LI anymore, because most of them have left. Did they “give up?”

Old 03-09-2021, 07:00 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,428,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I understand your viewpoint but not your logic here. People should stick it out and work harder because they have to?

I suppose moving is “giving up”, but in my case it was a corporate relocation that paid more. Followed by another relocation that paid still more. Obviously these aren’t $50K jobs.

Unfortunately there o aren’t many companies that will pay you to move to LI anymore, because most of them have left. Did they “give up?”
If they want to live on LI, then yes.

Corporate re-lo is different. I’d move too if I were being offered more money but it would have to be A LOT like enough to bump me from middle class to rich ... otherwise no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island