Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 10:10 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
Lets recap:

The property is now vacant and paying taxes as vacant land. Amazon is going to build a warehouse and even with the tax breaks they will still be paying more taxes than the vacant land was. Wheres the big loss to the taxpayers, no one else wants to build on this contaminated land.

How does this hurt the local Mom & Pop stores?? No one who buys from Amazon considers where the items they purchase are going to come from. When I click BUY, I do not care if the items come from CA, NJ or soon Long Island as long as they are delivered by the promised date. I buy from Amazon because it's convenient, I do shop local where I can but at 10pm when something I need comes to mind it's Amazon that gets my business

None of this explains why they should be exempt from taxes. It's a shortsighted LI problem. We gave out massive tax breaks to all the tech companies who threatened to leave during the dot com boom, and they left anyway. It's the usual political hack problem here, they are happy to trade (potential) jobs for taxpayer money, because they know we rubber stamp tax increases, but job numbers are how they get elected, and employment #'s are the easiest thing to manipulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Take a look at what Amazon has done for the country and the world before you make uneducated criticism. No other company has advanced humankind like Amazon and there are reasons millions in enticements are thrown at them.
No, enticements are "thrown" at them because politicians are weak knee'd cowards and salivate at the idea they might get credit for creating a job. Amazon didn't advance humankind, let me know when they cure cancer. They moved retail online, whoop dee doo and were early monopolizers of cloud computing (AWS). Since they gained enough market cap, they've basically become massive corporate and civic bullies. But your hero worship take is cute. I love Amazon, bought the stock early and purchase plenty. They in no way on earth deserve tax breaks or abatements ANYWHERE!

Old 03-19-2021, 10:18 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,541,583 times
I'm not defending big evil corporate Amazon (f Bezos). and I don't care either way if they open or not. But the jobs this warehouse will create will have payroll, SS and medicare taxes. So its not like they aren't contributing anything to the tax base. You can decide if thats worse than having an empty lot generating nothing.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Long Island gets the development it deserves. When NIMBYs fight every little project because it might bring traffic or people from Queens, we end up with only the big money players wanting to even bother dealing with the nonsense that is needed before a shovel is in the ground.

Also doesn't help that nobody has any kind of master development plan, so town and village boards base their approvals or denials on how many votes it will swing on the next election or how big of a check is cut to the political party in control
Boom. This. Spot on.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:02 AM

244 posts, read 669,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
They in no way on earth deserve tax breaks or abatements ANYWHERE!

We shall agree to disagree. A company that has done this: https://www.aboutamazon.com/impact Deserves all the breaks we can give them, IMHO

It is simply ignorant to equate wealth with evil undeserving of more support. It is that very support that will enable Amazon to continue to do the good it does. No, I'm not an employee and only own a few shares.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm not defending big evil corporate Amazon (f Bezos). and I don't care either way if they open or not. But the jobs this warehouse will create will have payroll, SS and medicare taxes. So its not like they aren't contributing anything to the tax base. You can decide if thats worse than having an empty lot generating nothing.
Wow, have we become victims. Wouldn't the idea be to attract strong businesses without having to bribe them and put the onus on the backs of the taxpayers? Many people employ others, but no one is cutting them a tax break for it, in fact, they pay more to support Amazon's welfare. It's just wrong. We are supposed to attract industry, not buy it. When you buy it, they just leave anyway. When they are invested, they stay.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
We shall agree to disagree. A company that has done this: https://www.aboutamazon.com/impact Deserves all the breaks we can give them, IMHO

It is simply ignorant to equate wealth with evil undeserving of more support. It is that very support that will enable Amazon to continue to do the good it does. No, I'm not an employee and only own a few shares.
Respectfully, this is why this region will be bankrupt soon, starting with the homeowners on Long Island. You don't give Amazon charity off the backs of taxpayers. It is proven by these warehouses opening that the LIC noise was just that, a scare tactic to fleece the taxpayers. The region is big money in online retail. Amazon knows that. They need to be here. We don't need to grease their palms. Now the next 4 big companies know they will have no tax burden either. And I was FOR the LIC HQ, even though it was a ripoff. At least that had some decent paying jobs. The LI jobs are all $15-$20hr last mile delivery gigs. Only worth the lost tax revenue because we are such an upside down nimby mess that can't maintain or entice industries here.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:41 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,541,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Wow, have we become victims. Wouldn't the idea be to attract strong businesses without having to bribe them and put the onus on the backs of the taxpayers? Many people employ others, but no one is cutting them a tax break for it, in fact, they pay more to support Amazon's welfare. It's just wrong. We are supposed to attract industry, not buy it. When you buy it, they just leave anyway. When they are invested, they stay.

I'm not defending Amazon here. But can you explain to me how corporate tax breaks is a burden on a local tax payer? If there was no business, then there is no tax revenue generated. Just an emptying lot providing nothing. Zero taxes.

You put a business there, they hire people (and pay payroll, SS, and medicare taxes), pay for local utilities, local contractors to build maintain facilities, etc, etc, etc. So what if you give them a tax break? They get to keep more of their profits. They are not taking any tax money from the tax payer, jsut keeping more of what they earn as incentive.

I could give a flying _ if Amazon comes here or not. But taxing the crap out of businesses will not attract any new growth here. And an empty lot is not doing anyone any good either.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:41 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
“now what, they will have 200 low skilled and low paying jobs for high school and colleges students!”

It’s a step up from flipping burgers!
Think about all of the mid level/middle class salaries this would create!: Truck drivers, truck repairs, Accounting, PC/Tech, shipping, repairs & services needed to operate a warehouse, machinery. Lunch stores, The list goes on & on!
Will also keep our utility companies busy! So, it’s not just about “Amazon”
Basic economics

Ohhh, if you have a 401k/Mutual Fund, I can almost guarantee you own Amazon!

Last edited by Spanky25; 03-19-2021 at 02:57 PM..

Old 03-19-2021, 02:45 PM

874 posts, read 729,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post

the average pay for an amazon employee is 21 to 41,000 a year.

whos buying a house on long island with that salary?

after thats thats like $630 or so a week.... then you have your "health benefits" taken out and your left with maybe $575 a week.....

I thought the more money a company made the more money the workers were suppose make.

look at the salary for a worker and McDonald and a worker at amazon.

its the same.

21-41 thousand a year

explain how amazon is helping anyone with the American dream? tax breaks for the richest man in the world, while you cant even repair your house because the town will raise your taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island