Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2021, 02:50 PM

118 posts, read 77,703 times

Advertisements

The Federal, State and Local governments use their ability to tax to create tax liabilities that are much higher than the net tax revenue they are seeking. They then use various exemptions to influence the behavior of companies and individuals and through tax waivers etc. compete for companies to locate jobs in their jurisdictions. In other words politicians are incentivized to control as much money as possible to extend their power to influence as far as they can.

Wrong or right, that's the game that's been setup and I wouldn't assume that these "tax breaks" to land a company reduce net tax revenue. In fact the intent is to actually increase overall revenue. Whether it works or not is another question, but the impact has to be viewed at a higher level than "some jerkwad billionaire got a taxbreak".

Edit, however it is a given that public funds should not be used to build stadiums for the monopolistic scumbag billionaires that run professional sports.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 02:51 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,450 times
“I thought the more money a company made the more money the workers were suppose make.”
It’s about shareholders. Again, anyone owning a 401k/IRA probably owns Amazon.

“the adverse pay for an amazon employee is 21 to 41,000 a year.”
whos buying a house on long island with that salary?
Nobody is buying a house for that! Who considers 21k salary a “career” job?

“I thought the more money a company made the more money the workers were suppose make” SURE! Amazon stock is doing amazing!

“no, amazon has not made the world better, they have made it worse..”.
Explain? I’m confused?

Last edited by Spanky25; 03-19-2021 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-19-2021, 02:53 PM

1,261 posts, read 560,498 times
Long Island rose and fell with Grumman. Meanwhile if Grumman came knocking today, we would run them out of town.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:55 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Long Island gets the development it deserves. When NIMBYs fight every little project because it might bring traffic or people from Queens, we end up with only the big money players wanting to even bother dealing with the nonsense that is needed before a shovel is in the ground.

Also doesn't help that nobody has any kind of master development plan, so town and village boards base their approvals or denials on how many votes it will swing on the next election or how big of a check is cut to the political party in control
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Long Island rose and fell with Grumman. Meanwhile if Grumman came knocking today, we would run them out of town.
Just like Entermans.

Old 03-19-2021, 04:34 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Respectfully, this is why this region will be bankrupt soon, starting with the homeowners on Long Island. You don't give Amazon charity off the backs of taxpayers. It is proven by these warehouses opening that the LIC noise was just that, a scare tactic to fleece the taxpayers. The region is big money in online retail. Amazon knows that. They need to be here. We don't need to grease their palms. Now the next 4 big companies know they will have no tax burden either. And I was FOR the LIC HQ, even though it was a ripoff. At least that had some decent paying jobs. The LI jobs are all $15-$20hr last mile delivery gigs. Only worth the lost tax revenue because we are such an upside down nimby mess that can't maintain or entice industries here.
I'm torn here. Totally get what your saying and I agree its RIDICULOUS that amazon is getting a friggen tax break for a warehouse of all things, something they probably logistically need to have here! And like you said its not like these are high paying corporate jobs that will be some massive boon to the region either.

On the other hand though its the Cerro site. A site that has been vacant for AGES and has environmental issues. I am glad something will finally be built there otherwise it would likely just continue to rot. Sad and pathetic really.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 560,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I'm torn here. Totally get what your saying and I agree its RIDICULOUS that amazon is getting a friggen tax break for a warehouse of all things, something they probably logistically need to have here! And like you said its not like these are high paying corporate jobs that will be some massive boon to the region either.

On the other hand though its the Cerro site. A site that has been vacant for AGES and has environmental issues. I am glad something will finally be built there otherwise it would likely just continue to rot. Sad and pathetic really.
That's a huge point too. THIS is the kind of project that IDA was meant for. Take a blighted property, clean it up, and put something profitable there. Any reduction they get will still end up yielding a higher net tax payment than the empty land.

I do understand the annoyance when every bakery or dry cleaner or bookstore applies for IDA though.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:17 PM

259 posts, read 174,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Suffolk has, the warehouse in Westhampton Beach got over $2m in tax breaks. The Syosset warehouse is getting theirs. Right or wrong, LI has been paying in tax breaks for job creation (mostly bogus and never meeting the promised numbers) for years and years and years. It's been wrong for years and years, too, but like most ponzi employment here (cops, teachers, corporate welfare), we do nothing about it. Search the threads on here for 100's of posts about it over the years. IDAs, PILOTS, etc.

Ya think people paying taxes up the wazoo while the rich and crony capitalist connected don't is something new?! We invented it.
Amazon needs the warehouse no matter what. Their choices of where to build are very limited.

They should not be getting one thin dime in taxbreas.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:39 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm not defending Amazon here. But can you explain to me how corporate tax breaks is a burden on a local tax payer? If there was no business, then there is no tax revenue generated. Just an emptying lot providing nothing. Zero taxes.

You put a business there, they hire people (and pay payroll, SS, and medicare taxes), pay for local utilities, local contractors to build maintain facilities, etc, etc, etc. So what if you give them a tax break? They get to keep more of their profits. They are not taking any tax money from the tax payer, jsut keeping more of what they earn as incentive.

I could give a flying _ if Amazon comes here or not. But taxing the crap out of businesses will not attract any new growth here. And an empty lot is not doing anyone any good either.
I totally get what you are saying and in the sad reality we are in I agree, we need the job creators. But it's a sad cycle that never makes us competitive. Companies utilize big resources and usually leave places worse for wear and tear, if LI isn't the poster child for that, i don't know who is. Amazon can afford to pay tax, so they should. It's nothing on their bottom line, but they leech off a community for low end jobs and the minute they are threatened for some bad neighborly behavior, they'll up and relocate, or squeeze even more abatements. Our taxes are high now? Try a commercial tax base completely on the dole. Won't be pretty, but leave it to the hacks around here. They'll give away the farm. But it's a good discussion and I get your points.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:52 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post

Spot on. Right there with you Pec. I think the Cerro part tips the scale in their favor. Plus it's not money already expected/spent like some IDA's, like the debacle at Green Acres Mall so it won't impact budgets. People are burnt and need a jump and these jobs will definitely do some good for the local economy. I just think it feels more like a bloop single with a throwing error than a home run.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:08 PM

226 posts, read 129,013 times
Can we all at least agree that the dumbest tax breaks are when the company wants to set up shop there anyway? As in, even if they had no tax incentives, they'd still do what they were planning to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island