Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 08:53 PM

226 posts, read 129,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Absolutely not!
Great. That's all I was saying. I don't know why you kept arguing with me when we agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 08:59 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,538,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
Great. That's all I was saying. I don't know why you kept arguing with me when we agreed
I don’t argue, I discuss, lol. I don’t agree with most of the things these political hacks negotiate.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:49 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,966 times
Quote:
So all of the above that I mentioned has zero economic value?
Already agreed above its our only choice now. The sad fact is it doesn't really work. It will ultimately lower wages in the area and supply lower $ returns than promised, while costing big infrastructure dollars. But we'll be married to the paltry jobs by then and that's that. Then we pay off the next one to come in to offer jobs that require food stamps to live. You think pennies, you get pennies, and the region declines.

We went from high end biotech to subsidized warehouse jobs...the promise vs the reality.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Already agreed above its our only choice now. The sad fact is it doesn't really work. It will ultimately lower wages in the area and supply lower $ returns than promised, while costing big infrastructure dollars. But we'll be married to the paltry jobs by then and that's that. Then we pay off the next one to come in to offer jobs that require food stamps to live. You think pennies, you get pennies, and the region declines.

We went from high end biotech to subsidized warehouse jobs...the promise vs the reality.
So maybe Amazon should raise their prices 20-30% so each employee can make a “living wage”? While passing the increases to the consumer? All because some think Amazon is a place where you work for 20-30 years & retire from?

“ while costing big infrastructure dollars” GREAT MIDDLE CLASS paying jobs!

“We went from high end biotech to subsidized warehouse jobs...the promise vs the reality”

40k-50k here is peanuts. 40k-50k down south is considered middle class.
Because there really isn’t a company that wants to pay these ridiculous rents & utilities here on LI. either (Hence Amazons tax incentives) AGAIN, look what happened to Entermans.

Region declines? I never saw so much traffic, housing & condo complexes in my life! People out bidding for homes. Anyone affording a MODEST 500k home with LOW TAXES of 10k is not working in a warehouse. So, LI is not declining.

Last edited by Spanky25; 03-21-2021 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-21-2021, 03:26 PM

It’s to my understanding that they are building a distribution center in Holbrook too. So we lost Pathmark & Waldbaums on Long Island. Probably 50+ stores. However, we gained 2-3 Amazon distribution centers.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:46 PM

577 posts, read 980,781 times
Has Richard Kessel ever have a job that was not funded with taxpayer money?

Old 03-21-2021, 04:53 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,705,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
thats right , give jeff bezos millions in tax breaks and raise the taxes of the working folk!
god forbid you want a dormer on your house! the town WILL come by and "reassess" your house and raise your taxes!
but when the richest man in the world needs a warehouse he gets tax breaks.
now what, they will have 200 low skilled and low paying jobs for high school and colleges students!
lets get serious, nobody is buying a home on long island working at a warehouse in amazon making $15 an hour! when you take taxes out they are making $10-11 dollars an hour!!!
why not tax amazon and lower out damn taxes!!!

https://www.newsday.com/business/ama...ies-1.50187723

The Nassau County Industrial Development Agency voted 6-1 Thursday night to provide millions of dollars in tax breaks for the proposed Amazon "last-mile" warehouse in Syosset.

"Right now, people need jobs," said IDA chairman Richard Kessel. "There are a lot of people who pontificate about whether we should or shouldn’t do this project – but many of those people have jobs. I’m talking about helping people who aren’t working, providing them with opportunity," he said.
John Coumatos, the lone board member voting "nay," predicted more jobs would be lost at small retailers, big box stores, malls and other competitors of Amazon, which posted a profit of $21 billion last year, nearly double its 2019 earnings.

Another board member, board secretary Timothy Williams, said he supported the 204,000-square-foot warehouse but questioned why the online behemoth needs $537,750 off the mortgage recording tax. "That looks a little ugly," he said.
Amazon and warehouse developer Syosset Park Development LLC also were awarded a sales-tax exemption of up to $2.8 million on the purchase of construction materials and equipment; and a property-tax reduction of $8 million over 15 years. The latter is an estimate from the Syosset Central School District, which opposes the project.

God, people are dumb. Hard to believe the locals fell for this. Damn.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Region declines? I never saw so much traffic, housing & condo complexes in my life! People out bidding for homes. Anyone affording a MODEST 500k home with LOW TAXES of 10k is not working in a warehouse. So, LI is not declining.
Check the numbers. Traffic is poor planning, not increased economics. Condo's are not advantageous development, unless you are a construction worker. Particularly when the condos are for 55+ living off pensions. You make no sense, you say "no one working in a warehouse can live here" but you want to kiss Amazon's ass 18 ways to sunday for providing some low wage jobs. You are so hell bent on loving Amazon you'll never see the other side of the story, no matter the pages of posts trying politiely to explain it. Daddy Amazon is here for THEM, not US. Try to grasp that concept, THEN exaggerate the economic benefits. What next, tax breaks for the new Dollar General and Walgreens? The world needs cashiers.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:21 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,337,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Check the numbers. Traffic is poor planning, not increased economics. Condo's are not advantageous development, unless you are a construction worker. Particularly when the condos are for 55+ living off pensions. You make no sense, you say "no one working in a warehouse can live here" but you want to kiss Amazon's ass 18 ways to sunday for providing some low wage jobs. You are so hell bent on loving Amazon you'll never see the other side of the story, no matter the pages of posts trying politiely to explain it. Daddy Amazon is here for THEM, not US. Try to grasp that concept, THEN exaggerate the economic benefits. What next, tax breaks for the new Dollar General and Walgreens? The world needs cashiers.
the 55+ condos are great for the SD's my district has around 2k units at lets 6k avg in taxes. That's 12m of revenue with no kids from any of them.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
the 55+ condos are great for the SD's my district has around 2k units at lets 6k avg in taxes. That's 12m of revenue with no kids from any of them.
It's ponzi revenue. We're paying their pension and padded their pre-tax 401ks. Only good thing is they keep the money here. Also, most seniors get enhanced STAR so they pay way less in school tax anyway. Houses are a much better community investment. Businesses even better, unless they pay no tax and offer $15hr jobs. Last, kids spur local economic growth (little league, karate, events, hundreds of pizzas), retiree's, not so much. They tend to downsize and scale back on spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island