Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 05:08 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,541,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Check the numbers. Traffic is poor planning, not increased economics. Condo's are not advantageous development, unless you are a construction worker. Particularly when the condos are for 55+ living off pensions. You make no sense, you say "no one working in a warehouse can live here" but you want to kiss Amazon's ass 18 ways to sunday for providing some low wage jobs. You are so hell bent on loving Amazon you'll never see the other side of the story, no matter the pages of posts trying politiely to explain it. Daddy Amazon is here for THEM, not US. Try to grasp that concept, THEN exaggerate the economic benefits. What next, tax breaks for the new Dollar General and Walgreens? The world needs cashiers.
Traffic: Poor planning? Really? From over population?

Maybe they should just follow AOC. Take the tax incentives away from Amazon (they’ll pullout) & build Section 8 housing. Better idea?

Last edited by Spanky25; 03-22-2021 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 09:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,010,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
Lets recap:

The property is now vacant and paying taxes as vacant land. Amazon is going to build a warehouse and even with the tax breaks they will still be paying more taxes than the vacant land was. Wheres the big loss to the taxpayers, no one else wants to build on this contaminated land.

How does this hurt the local Mom & Pop stores?? No one who buys from Amazon considers where the items they purchase are going to come from. When I click BUY, I do not care if the items come from CA, NJ or soon Long Island as long as they are delivered by the promised date. I buy from Amazon because it's convenient, I do shop local where I can but at 10pm when something I need comes to mind it's Amazon that gets my business
Once the warehouse is built, there will be increased activity, and increase demand for govt services right? Will it not also increase property taxes on everyone else?

What is problem with leaving it as vacant land? If someone needs a job, and cant find one in current location, they should move. How can someone who needs money not be desperate enough to actively seek it anywhere? They just sit and wait for a job to come here. Cant be.

The solution is not always to bring in more people, and more activity. Sometimes, you need and should lessen both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Take a look at what Amazon has done for the country and the world before you make uneducated criticism. No other company has advanced humankind like Amazon and there are reasons millions in enticements are thrown at them.
LOLz, most hilarious thing I ever read on here.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm not defending big evil corporate Amazon (f Bezos). and I don't care either way if they open or not. But the jobs this warehouse will create will have payroll, SS and medicare taxes. So its not like they aren't contributing anything to the tax base. You can decide if thats worse than having an empty lot generating nothing.
Actually that lot being vacant puts downward pressure on other similar pieces of real estate. Once Amzn comes in, values increase. Taxes will then increase too on everyones properties.

Besides property taxes, what taxes will Amzn contribute directly to the local area? Payroll taxes are federal. Amzn can be anywhere and the Fed Govt will distribute those taxes how they see fit to local areas. Seems Amzn is getting a huge property tax break. That is really not contributing to the local area much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Wow, have we become victims. Wouldn't the idea be to attract strong businesses without having to bribe them and put the onus on the backs of the taxpayers? Many people employ others, but no one is cutting them a tax break for it, in fact, they pay more to support Amazon's welfare. It's just wrong. We are supposed to attract industry, not buy it. When you buy it, they just leave anyway. When they are invested, they stay.
I doubt Amzn is going to employ people who are currently and have been unemployed for a long time. Having large gap in employment is a big turn off for employers. Anyone who is gainfully employed is going to have to be paid well enough to steal them away from where they are already working.

How many warehouses does one company need on LI? There is already on in Suffolk, and they building another in NYC now I believe. With that many locations I doubt having enough staffing and high wages for all is feasible. And that really is the only reason local govt can give up on taxes like that. Its the only fair trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
“now what, they will have 200 low skilled and low paying jobs for high school and colleges students!”

It’s a step up from flipping burgers!
Think about all of the mid level/middle class salaries this would create!: Truck drivers, truck repairs, Accounting, PC/Tech, shipping, repairs & services needed to operate a warehouse, machinery. Lunch stores, The list goes on & on!
Will also keep our utility companies busy! So, it’s not just about “Amazon”
Basic economics

Ohhh, if you have a 401k/Mutual Fund, I can almost guarantee you own Amazon!
How is a warehouse stocker step up from burger flipper?

Seriously if a business needs that much repair done to operate, its not feasible. Since that is not the case for Amzn, they will not be hiring that many people for doing that work.

Back of the house paperwork can be sent to an office far away. It does not have to be on sight. More machines means less jobs for humans.

Rent is going to go up in the area so who is going to start a restaurant for the Amzn workers?

Old 03-24-2021, 06:37 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,548,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Actually that lot being vacant puts downward pressure on other similar pieces of real estate. Once Amzn comes in, values increase.

I don't know about you, but I like anything that increases my property value.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:49 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,353,129 times
Quote:

How is a warehouse stocker step up from burger flipper?

Well sometimes a warehouse stocker has to get up on a ladder. So, they'd be a step up from a burger flipper who is not on a ladder.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:53 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,541,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Well sometimes a warehouse stocker has to get up on a ladder. So, they'd be a step up from a burger flipper who is not on a ladder.
Ha! LMAO!
All things being equal, you going to hire a burger flipper or a warehouse worker?
Again, not as a “Career”.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:57 AM

656 posts, read 1,063,556 times
This is where the Mall at Oyster Bay was supposed to be built...with Neimans and Nordstroms as anchors.
I wonder, given the pandemic what would have happened to this mall...it had a lot of potential but of course was never built. Neimans ended up building at Roosevelt Field. I'd imagine having two Nordstroms in such close proximity would not have worked out too well. And the Americana handles the high-end retail market here nicely although Roosevelt Field is certainly no slouch.

Not to say that Amazon should get the tax breaks but what else could/should have been done with this vacant land

Old 03-24-2021, 08:58 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,548,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
This is where the Mall at Oyster Bay was supposed to be built...with Neimans and Nordstroms as anchors.
I wonder, given the pandemic what would have happened to this mall...it had a lot of potential but of course was never built. Neimans ended up building at Roosevelt Field. I'd imagine having two Nordstroms in such close proximity would not have worked out too well. And the Americana handles the high-end retail market here nicely although Roosevelt Field is certainly no slouch.

Not to say that Amazon should get the tax breaks but what else could/should have been done with this vacant land

It seems fitting then to put Amazon there, since after all they are the retail mall-killer.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post

If you want to give tax break, then give for something that will directly benefit local area, and the people living there. One such option is affordable housing.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I like anything that increases my property value.
Value or speculation of the property increasing means the taxes burden increases even if the rate stays the same. Unless you plan on selling, it does nothing for you. Or if you plan to pull out more home equity. You are still just putting yourself under more debt obligation. Maybe you find some investment vehicle that no one has been able to single out. The chances of that are slim, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Quote:
It seems fitting then to put Amazon there, since after all they are the retail mall-killer.
That sounds like the warehouse is going to be huge. Enough to fill a space meant for two anchor stores, and a slew of little stores. Does LI really need it? LI has three already. They coming to NYC too.

https://www.newsday.com/business/ama...obs-1.48295567

Amzn is turning into Walmart but with less facilities, and no public entry. Instead they have boxes, or receiving centers here and there. But eventually they may as well let people just come to warehouses, especially with porch pirating becoming bigger. Then they will become brick and mortar retail that offers deliveries.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:05 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,832,293 times
Quote:
If you want to give tax break, then give for something that will directly benefit local area, and the people living there. One such option is affordable housing.

Value or speculation of the property increasing means the taxes burden increases even if the rate stays the same. Unless you plan on selling, it does nothing for you. Or if you plan to pull out more home equity. You are still just putting yourself under more debt obligation. Maybe you find some investment vehicle that no one has been able to single out. The chances of that are slim, however.

That sounds like the warehouse is going to be huge. Enough to fill a space meant for two anchor stores, and a slew of little stores. Does LI really need it? LI has three already. They coming to NYC too.

https://www.newsday.com/business/ama...obs-1.48295567

Amzn is turning into Walmart but with less facilities, and no public entry. Instead they have boxes, or receiving centers here and there. But eventually they may as well let people just come to warehouses, especially with porch pirating becoming bigger. Then they will become brick and mortar retail that offers deliveries.
A lot of good points from you in this thread. Just want to add the Amazon Fresh stores are going live soon (the old Westbury Fairway will become one). The Whole Foods experiment failed as they realized to survive you have to be able to sell healthy choices like Cheetos and Coke. But Amazon being Amazon don't expect many new jobs. They are implementing their smart cart. You tie the cart to your account and payment method, the cart scans your items and a check out lane scans your cart. EZ PZ. I love the tech, but not the implications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island