Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 02:32 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,784,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
The Westbury Fairway was bought by Food Bazaar, and has been converted into a Food Bazaar. It is NOT becoming an Amazon supermarker.
The plainview fairway is becoming the fresh store.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...iew-1.50191725
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 06:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,996,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post

So yeh, the E-commerce giant is becoming a brick and mortar store. The E-commerice portion will just be for esoteric items that Amazon does not keep in stock at stores.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:46 PM

259 posts, read 175,055 times
Quote:

I wonder what will go in the other 40% of the former Fairway space.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,853 times
Quote:
The Westbury Fairway was bought by Food Bazaar, and has been converted into a Food Bazaar. It is NOT becoming an Amazon supermarker.
Quote:

Thx for the correction(s). I mistook Westbury for Plainview in the article I read but my point was about smartcarts and Amazon Fresh's disruptive industry plans, not really interested in where they select to take over. I'm sure Food Bazaar stands a real chance. The one in Hicksville is just another underwhelming bodega/indian supermarket. I imagine Amazon will end up with that space for pennies on the dollar if they want it in a year or two.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:34 AM

828 posts, read 418,201 times
Seems pretty simple.

Just a matter of is it worth it giving the tax breaks in order to get more jobs to the area?

A lot of times yes. Not like you can force a company to come to your area instead of another.

And I think amazon wages it like the rest of us do.
If you find plenty of people to change your oil on the car for 50.00. Would you pay 100.00.

If amazon is not going to close a warehouse. If they cant find enough people for 15.00 a hour. What do you think they would do? Close or pay more.
Simple supply and demand. And with a constant supply of millions unskilled workers entering the country. There will not be a shortage.

Just like if McDonald's could not find enough people to work for their wages. Would they close or pay more?

Liberals will always want more unskilled workers coming in vs skilled workers. Easier to manipulate and turn into voters.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:07 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,996,750 times
If there is not enough demand for business to setup shop somewhere while not giving them tax breaks, then there is no demand for said business.

Giving said business tax break is not going to change that. It just means tax payers are giving them money to be here, and not making money by doing business.

Creating jobs does not matter. Amzn have to pay people enough to pry them away from their current jobs. But if giving tax breaks, then its the same as tax payers prying them away at least partially. Why dont taxpayers just give out more welfare?

Hiring people who are currently unemployed and dont not need prying is not the best situation either. Long gaps between employment is frowned upon. And again, with tax breaks, is like taxpayers are paying these currently unemployed partially.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So yeh, the E-commerce giant is becoming a brick and mortar store. The E-commerice portion will just be for esoteric items that Amazon does not keep in stock at stores.
They’ve had brick and mortar stores for years. Amazon go stores and Amazon bookstores are all over NYC and the west coast and have been for years.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I wonder what will go in the other 40% of the former Fairway space.
How do you know they aren’t taking the full space over?

Old 04-16-2021, 12:14 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,331,400 times
Quote:
god forbid you want a dormer on your house! the town WILL come by and "reassess" your house and raise your taxes!
Tax revenue to Cuomo and L.I. is like lust. That's part of the reason I don't live there anymore.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:34 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,539,470 times
I was driving past Broadway & 454 in Holbrook the other day. They cleared out acres & acres of land. That is where another Amazon facility is being built as well. Those NIMB’s must be fuming!

I would of rather see them occupy one of the empty stores along Sunrise Highway in Bohemia.

https://patch.com/new-york/sachem/am...ition-holbrook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island