Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:33 AM

656 posts, read 1,062,768 times

Advertisements

As the religious influence of Catholicism declines, certainly more will close...the Catholic church overall sees that which is why so much of their focus in has been in emerging markets, particularly Latin America. One of the saving graces is that for many folks Catholic schools became an option even if you weren't Catholic (unlike, say a Yeshiva).

The big question is who is going to be their target demographic going forward. Like any industry, they must adapt or face extinction/irrelevance. I am sure they are targeting Latinos, but a) a large % of school age Latino children on the Island may be illegal/children of illegals who would rather use the free public schools and b) many Latinos in such communities attend storefront churches in their community, which is much different than attending the parish church which often had the school next door to the church.

Here on the island, Catholic schools had the advantage of being able to recruit minority students whose parents valued education but wouldn't dream of sending their kids to the schools in their district. It was a popular choice for Caribbean/West Indian immigrants. Catholic schools were cheaper than their private counterparts and they provided structure, discipline, etc. I know that Holy Trinity was a popular choice and likely has a very diverse student body as compared to the Island overall. As more and more charter schools open on the Island as an alternative to the public schools in poor performing districts, it will be interesting to see the impact on Catholic schools because that is where the saving grace I mentioned above now negatively impacts the Catholic schools in that prospective parents/students have no allegiance to Catholic schools, they just want a better alternative to public schools.

As far as the good districts, I'd venture that some parents who are ardent Roman Catholics may continue to use Catholic schools and then there will always be a small base like Regis in NYC that may survive (I used to see a few high school boys make that commute from Garden City on the train, I admire that dedication!)..and yes I know Regis is a unique example in that they cover tuition.

Prospective buyers in their 30s/40s (school age kid demo) are increasingly shunning religion and the combined effect of the numerous disasters within the Catholic Church/excellent public schools in good areas, it simply isn't a viable option for a buyer of a $1.3M home. Catholic school is also not going to be an option for the growing diverse population (Chinese/Indian/Arab countries) because they certainly wouldn't put their kids in Catholic schools.

I mean it is close to the point where you may get cancelled amongst your peers if your children attend Catholic schools which saddens me as I am a product of Catholic elementary schools on the Island and the values and discipline they instilled in me shaped me into the person I am today...and I feel like much of that is so needed for today's youth but times have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 01:24 PM

304 posts, read 160,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post

I mean it is close to the point where you may get cancelled amongst your peers if your children attend Catholic schools which saddens me as I am a product of Catholic elementary schools on the Island and the values and discipline they instilled in me shaped me into the person I am today...and I feel like much of that is so needed for today's youth but times have changed.
This point I would have to disagree with you. While I myself do not favor catholic schools I don't look down upon people or wish to "cancel them" for favoring them. Like I said earlier as long as MY tax dollars are not propping up these or any private school for that matter (catholic/jewish/muslim/secular), to each their own.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:25 PM

Things like this certainly won't help.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/03/23/u...and/index.html

Old 03-24-2021, 02:49 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,161,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
This point I would have to disagree with you. While I myself do not favor catholic schools I don't look down upon people or wish to "cancel them" for favoring them. Like I said earlier as long as MY tax dollars are not propping up these or any private school for that matter (catholic/jewish/muslim/secular), to each their own.
Regardless of your thought on them, you really need to rethink that statement. If every private or religious based school closed tomorrow, your current taxes would not be nearly enough to educate the numbers that are off the public grid so to speak. There would be additional teachers and staff with bennies that would need to be paid. In addition the cost to build new schools or rent the shuttered ones. Bus drivers, monitors, buses, cafeteria workers, janitorial staff etc. You better pray as many of them stay open or LI is going to be in materially more trouble tax wise.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,402,231 times
Some ppl want religious education & always will. I won’t say they’re better schools, but it’s preference I guess really

Old 03-24-2021, 03:48 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,771,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
when I went to catholic high school my bus was provided by my home school district. And, if I recall correctly, my textbooks came from my district as well. So...thanks!

Old 03-24-2021, 05:35 PM

82 posts, read 40,225 times
Quote:
As the religious influence of Catholicism declines, certainly more will close...the Catholic church overall sees that which is why so much of their focus in has been in emerging markets, particularly Latin America. One of the saving graces is that for many folks Catholic schools became an option even if you weren't Catholic (unlike, say a Yeshiva).

The big question is who is going to be their target demographic going forward. Like any industry, they must adapt or face extinction/irrelevance. I am sure they are targeting Latinos, but a) a large % of school age Latino children on the Island may be illegal/children of illegals who would rather use the free public schools and b) many Latinos in such communities attend storefront churches in their community, which is much different than attending the parish church which often had the school next door to the church.

Here on the island, Catholic schools had the advantage of being able to recruit minority students whose parents valued education but wouldn't dream of sending their kids to the schools in their district. It was a popular choice for Caribbean/West Indian immigrants. Catholic schools were cheaper than their private counterparts and they provided structure, discipline, etc. I know that Holy Trinity was a popular choice and likely has a very diverse student body as compared to the Island overall. As more and more charter schools open on the Island as an alternative to the public schools in poor performing districts, it will be interesting to see the impact on Catholic schools because that is where the saving grace I mentioned above now negatively impacts the Catholic schools in that prospective parents/students have no allegiance to Catholic schools, they just want a better alternative to public schools.

As far as the good districts, I'd venture that some parents who are ardent Roman Catholics may continue to use Catholic schools and then there will always be a small base like Regis in NYC that may survive (I used to see a few high school boys make that commute from Garden City on the train, I admire that dedication!)..and yes I know Regis is a unique example in that they cover tuition.

Prospective buyers in their 30s/40s (school age kid demo) are increasingly shunning religion and the combined effect of the numerous disasters within the Catholic Church/excellent public schools in good areas, it simply isn't a viable option for a buyer of a $1.3M home. Catholic school is also not going to be an option for the growing diverse population (Chinese/Indian/Arab countries) because they certainly wouldn't put their kids in Catholic schools.

In what way would parents be at risk of being "canceled' by their peers for sending their children to Catholic schools? This isn't true even in the most oppressively liberal parts of New York.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,402,231 times
Quote:

I dont think anyone gives a crap where someone goes to school

Old 03-24-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpants View Post
In what way would parents be at risk of being "canceled' by their peers for sending their children to Catholic schools? This isn't true even in the most oppressively liberal parts of New York.
It was more of a tongue and cheek comment given "cancel culture" these days. Something to the effect of, oh why would you send your son to a place where they may molest him, etc...or how can you support an institution that protects predators.
It's not purely a lib/con thing...but the Catholic church has been cancelled in many circles and its influence has waned over time (some are happy about that, some aren't). Of course the church has played a large part in cancelling itself.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:54 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Regardless of your thought on them, you really need to rethink that statement. If every private or religious based school closed tomorrow, your current taxes would not be nearly enough to educate the numbers that are off the public grid so to speak. There would be additional teachers and staff with bennies that would need to be paid. In addition the cost to build new schools or rent the shuttered ones. Bus drivers, monitors, buses, cafeteria workers, janitorial staff etc. You better pray as many of them stay open or LI is going to be in materially more trouble tax wise.
We could pay for a good chunk of it just by taking back the transportation, books and software the public districts have to provide to the parochial students who live in the district. Millions. It's fair because the parents pay their school taxes and separate tuitions but I'm just saying the money is out there.

The parochials would do best to stop being rapey and racist. When I was coaching basketball at a local church league, had to take the Virtus trainings regularly. The legal pennance for decades of rape and bad behavior. They can't put that genie back in the bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island