Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 02:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 560,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
There was some jacka$$ here early on at a Walmart that created a big stink with regard to the above bolded. He was refused entrance into the store if he refused to wear a mask. There were troopers posted at the doors and they refused his entrance. He claimed medical reasons and illegality to ask him about it. They called the manager who allowed him in, but he had to have the manager as a shadow and only after he told the manager what he was looking for. The manager shadowed him and after about 3 minutes, he walked out. The store manager had it correct when he said there was nothing illegal or unlawful about asking him to wear it as the law applies only to "covered entities" such as medical practitioners and insurers and the purpose is to prevent them from disclosing info to non authorized people. It has no bearing on a business community.

Reminds me of the people who bring their pets into every store thinking that it's illegal to ask if the animal is a service animal.... an employee can ask 2 specific questions: is this animal trained to perform a service for a person with a disability, and what is the animal trained to do. Little foo foo with the $50 yellow vest doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 02:25 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Lunatics. No different than the lunatics who are afraid of 5G. I mean wtflip. Our society just cannot remain normal. I'm re-watching a YT video about how there's an unlimited amount of human genders because they cannot leave well enough alone (here). They just have to be different and have to have a cause. It's actually worse than attention whoring on social media. Jesus H C.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-25-2021 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-25-2021, 06:24 PM

184 posts, read 227,789 times
Praying for that asteroid

Old 03-26-2021, 05:22 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
There was some jacka$$ here early on at a Walmart that created a big stink with regard to the above bolded. He was refused entrance into the store if he refused to wear a mask. There were troopers posted at the doors and they refused his entrance. He claimed medical reasons and illegality to ask him about it. They called the manager who allowed him in, but he had to have the manager as a shadow and only after he told the manager what he was looking for. The manager shadowed him and after about 3 minutes, he walked out. The store manager had it correct when he said there was nothing illegal or unlawful about asking him to wear it as the law applies only to "covered entities" such as medical practitioners and insurers and the purpose is to prevent them from disclosing info to non authorized people. It has no bearing on a business community.
If you really have a medical reason for not wearing a mask then you probably have a medical reason for really not wanting to catch COVID but these yahoos never put the fallacies in their arguments together. If you were really medically compromised you wouldn’t be in Walmart in the middle of the upswing of a pandemic. As ovi said people are truly getting crazier. I’m glad I live in an area where there’s very little arguing about this stuff.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:08 AM

874 posts, read 728,367 times
https://theintercept.com/2021/03/24/...bm-blockchain/

Technology firms are leaping at the chance to use the Covid-19 pandemic to ply dubious products, from useless thermal cameras to creepy tracking collars. The latest comes courtesy of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who entered the state into a partnership with IBM to put citizens’ Covid-19 vaccine and test data on perhaps the most over-hyped technology of all: blockchain.
State officials are providing virtually no details on the high-tech coronavirus “health passport” system, raising troubling privacy questions. Furthermore, the use of blockchain technology appears completely nonsensical, lending the distinct impression that the project — trumpeted amid a series of sexual harassment allegations against the governor — is as much about generating much-needed positive buzz for him as solving real problems.
Cuomo’s office announced on March 2 that testing had begun on the joint IBM system, known as Excelsior Pass. The “pass” itself is a smartphone app that displays a QR code to be scanned before entering an indoor business or other public gathering place; when verified by another device, it attests that the bearer has been vaccinated against Covid-19 or received a recent negative test result. The idea is to offer streamlined access to indoor businesses as they begin to reopen, similar to plans in other parts of the country and throughout the world.
What sets Cuomo’s approach apart is that the data behind the Excelsior Pass lives atop a blockchain, the software technology behind Bitcoin and other digital currencies. A blockchain is essentially just a widely distributed list of data whose contents are verifiable as genuine using cryptography (essentially, complex math). Blockchains are typically public, their contents transparent to anyone with an internet connection, but the one behind Excelsior Pass will be private, meaning only parties sanctioned by IBM will be able to check the contents.

But the governor’s office and IBM, neither of which provided comment for this article, have been stingy with details, like how exactly the app works behind the scenes or why New Yorkers should trust this software with their sensitive health information. The answer to both of these questions is simply: blockchain. The press release from Cuomo’s office assures users that “robust privacy protections are woven throughout the digital health pass solution” without giving any details whatsoever as to what these protections are or what might make them robust. IBM’s public material about the system is similarly devoid of specifics.
“Gov. Cuomo gave us screenshots of the user interface, but he never even published a privacy policy,” said Albert Fox Cahn, executive director of the New York-based Surveillance Technology Oversight Project. “We have no idea how this data can be tracked and if it’s accessible to police.”

Old 03-28-2021, 05:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times

Old 03-28-2021, 07:54 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm sure the democrats would love to create a centralized health database.
After all, their ultimate goal is to socialize the entire health system.
COVID is their excuse to expand government power for everything. I don't think they ever want COVID to end. Anyone who disagrees is a science hating nazi.
Well stated.......

Old 03-28-2021, 07:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Well stated.......
Case in point - herd immunity. CNN shows 15% progress on vaccinations and 70% needed...except that herd immunity also needs to count people previously infected with the virus, which might be 30% of the population.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:31 PM

494 posts, read 285,707 times
I live in a senior apartment complex in Upstate New York and am getting phone calls from the rental office asking if I had my vaccine yet. I thought this was an invasion of my medical privacy but did some research and it looks like it's perfectly legal.

I am also getting text messages from the Dept of Health in my area reminding me to take the vaccine. I've tried to find out where they got my phone number from since I can't reply to the message.

So, I do believe that there is a list somewhere of who gets the vaccine and who doesn't.

I can't believe what is going on with this "experimental" vaccine and people being pressured to take it even if they dont want it.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:35 PM

106,598 posts, read 108,757,383 times
I hope they institute the excelsior pass all over .

I don’t want the anti vaxers riding the coattails of the rest of us who took the risk to get vaccinated so we can lead normal lives again …let them sit home away from others ….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island