Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 09:52 AM

41 posts, read 37,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSteevo View Post
People can access local channels from all over the country via the internet. You may as well be suggesting a return to the Pony Express.
Yes, people can access local channels through the Internet, but that is not part of the discussion. I am referring to people who prefer to watch via cable and broadcast TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 09:57 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
When I grew up on Strongs Neck in the late fifties , our television channels came
mostly from New Haven . On really clear nights , we could pull in Providence.
Still true today.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:33 AM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
And why should WNBC give the weather for Toms River or Dutchess County? Apply the same logic.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:23 PM

9,141 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Many people in Fairfield County CT think that Andrew Cuomo is their governor.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:15 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
All the people on eastern Long Island are from the city now so why bother.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This is a solution without a problem. People who live out there can (and do) get news from News 12 as well as CT stations. Who are you to say what they should have access to? You think the broadcast networks should - and would - willingly limit their broadcast signal? Why? A lot of people who live out there have ties to NYC and some work there believe it or not.
No, I am not saying that the broadcast networks should lower the power of their transmitters or limit their range on cable systems (and we're not talking about online streaming here, this is a cable/antenna discussion).

I only made this statement because Eastern Suffolk County antenna viewers have a much better chance of picking up TV stations in CT or RI than New York City as already confirmed by one person on this post (who grew up in Strongs Neck, which is not even in the area I mentioned). So I am only discussing how feasible it would be to change the market designation, not to pull them off antenna/cable.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavid2372 View Post
No, I am not saying that the broadcast networks should lower the power of their transmitters or limit their range on cable systems (and we're not talking about online streaming here, this is a cable/antenna discussion).

I only made this statement because Eastern Suffolk County antenna viewers have a much better chance of picking up TV stations in CT or RI than New York City as already confirmed by one person on this post (who grew up in Strongs Neck, which is not even in the area I mentioned). So I am only discussing how feasible it would be to change the market designation, not to pull them off antenna/cable.
People in eastern Long Island don't want to watch "local news" that comes from a different state with different laws and a different government. They don't want to get traffic reports from a place where they don't drive and weather that can be significantly different than where they live. Advertisers don't want to buy advertising that will not reach their customers.

It would probably surprise you to learn that prior to the late 1970s people in much of Suffolk had to do exactly what you are proposing because over air signals from New York City were too weak to provide adequate service, a problem that ended with the advent of cable because you have not bothered to research your own topic before dumping it here.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:50 AM

916 posts, read 563,714 times
one word: advertising.

RI is useless for advertising in the East End. Other than NYC folk buying up properties in the coastal areas of South County because they've been priced out of the East End, there's no market overlap worth mentioning.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:59 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Why would somebody on the east end of LI be interested in something going on in Rhode Island? It’s not even the same state.

Most recent ... vaccinations. The vaccine plan in RI is 100% irrelevant to eastern LI since NYers cant be vaxxed there.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
People in eastern Long Island don't want to watch "local news" that comes from a different state with different laws and a different government. They don't want to get traffic reports from a place where they don't drive and weather that can be significantly different than where they live. Advertisers don't want to buy advertising that will not reach their customers.

It would probably surprise you to learn that prior to the late 1970s people in much of Suffolk had to do exactly what you are proposing because over air signals from New York City were too weak to provide adequate service, a problem that ended with the advent of cable because you have not bothered to research your own topic before dumping it here.
OK, you've got a good point in terms of people not wanting to watch news that comes from a different state, but in terms of weather I think you have it wrong. I go to college currently in Southeastern CT and whenever I compare the temperature and radar maps from where I amto that part of Far Eastern Suffolk, it is actually pretty similar to what we have.

Also, I did know that before the early 70s, Eastern Suffolk County TV viewers had to get broadcast channels from CT or RI since the antenna signal was too far to recieve (as it still is today).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island