Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 12:59 AM

41 posts, read 37,520 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I realize that this might be percieved as an odd topic by some people, but I am only asking this because I was born and raised in the New York City TV market (specifically I'm 19 years old and have lived in Northern New Jersey until 2020).
But regardless, growing up I have always found it odd how New York-area local newscasts always mention news and weather forecasts for eastern Suffolk County every day (an area that is anywhere between 80-110 miles from that city) since I know for a fact that these channels are unlistenable with any antenna, whether that would be the analog days or digital now. Although these New York channels are carried on cable, for me the lack of antenna reception makes it hard to justify not splitting Suffolk County in two TV markets, and I am looking for opinions on this proposal that is detailed below:

WESTERN SUFFOLK COUNTY (West of Riverhead): Will remain part of the NYC market as before, and local TV stations such as WABC and WCBS will remain on cable and will be able via antenna broadcast as well.

EASTERN SUFFOLK COUNTY (East of Riverhead, North Fork and South Fork): New York City TV channels will still remain on local cable systems, but cable will now prioritize TV stations from the Providence, RI market since that city is geographically 50-70 miles away from the area. In exchange, the Providence, RI TV market invests in providing local news to Eastern Suffolk County as well as their own market. They also buy multiple translator stations for antenna viewers in Montauk, East Hampton, Greenport, and the Sag Harbor area.

Again, I am trying to ask what do you think about this plan being feasible one day for East Hampton and Montauk, NY to be included in the much closer Providence, RI TV market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 06:40 AM

35 posts, read 22,182 times
Lol

Old 04-01-2021, 07:44 AM

13,058 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavid2372 View Post
Hi everybody,
I realize that this might be percieved as an odd topic by some people, but I am only asking this because I was born and raised in the New York City TV market (specifically I'm 19 years old and have lived in Northern New Jersey until 2020).
But regardless, growing up I have always found it odd how New York-area local newscasts always mention news and weather forecasts for eastern Suffolk County every day (an area that is anywhere between 80-110 miles from that city) since I know for a fact that these channels are unlistenable with any antenna, whether that would be the analog days or digital now. Although these New York channels are carried on cable, for me the lack of antenna reception makes it hard to justify not splitting Suffolk County in two TV markets, and I am looking for opinions on this proposal that is detailed below:

WESTERN SUFFOLK COUNTY (West of Riverhead): Will remain part of the NYC market as before, and local TV stations such as WABC and WCBS will remain on cable and will be able via antenna broadcast as well.

EASTERN SUFFOLK COUNTY (East of Riverhead, North Fork and South Fork): New York City TV channels will still remain on local cable systems, but cable will now prioritize TV stations from the Providence, RI market since that city is geographically 50-70 miles away from the area. In exchange, the Providence, RI TV market invests in providing local news to Eastern Suffolk County as well as their own market. They also buy multiple translator stations for antenna viewers in Montauk, East Hampton, Greenport, and the Sag Harbor area.

Again, I am trying to ask what do you think about this plan being feasible one day for East Hampton and Montauk, NY to be included in the much closer Providence, RI TV market.
You do, of course, realize this is not a "problem" that only impacts your area right? Wherever you hit smaller markets per mile, (read listeners or viewers) in any region, anywhere in the US, the smaller region "suffers" from lack of coverage right? Forget your proposal, there is not enough money in it for anyone to seriously consider it, let alone the number of eyes and ears that would be interested in same. R.I would need LI advertiser $$ to make it even remotely feasible and that is not gonna happen.

Secondly, I know a lot of people who lived in NYC their entire life who now reside full time on the east end and your stated reason for asking this question would never occur to them, not even for a nano second. Buy yourself a good internet radio and you will be able to pull in a lot of stations from your area. I am in De. now and I listen to a lot of NY radio - if I can get it, so can you.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:58 AM

8,818 posts, read 21,294,000 times
When I grew up on Strongs Neck in the late fifties , our television channels came
mostly from New Haven . On really clear nights , we could pull in Providence.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-01-2021, 09:02 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
This is a solution without a problem. People who live out there can (and do) get news from News 12 as well as CT stations. Who are you to say what they should have access to? You think the broadcast networks should - and would - willingly limit their broadcast signal? Why? A lot of people who live out there have ties to NYC and some work there believe it or not.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:04 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
When I grew up on Strongs Neck in the late fifties , our television channels came
mostly from New Haven . On really clear nights , we could pull in Providence.
Grew up in Huntington and had no problem getting CT stations.

On clear nights, my mom gets WFAN - all the way here in NC.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:16 AM

84 posts, read 147,823 times
People can access local channels from all over the country via the internet. You may as well be suggesting a return to the Pony Express.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:33 AM

158 posts, read 189,541 times
To say this is pointless would be an understatement.
Put your thoughts and energy into something constructive and meaningful dude.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:50 AM

974 posts, read 1,416,194 times
Eastern Suffolk is sort of land locked (island locked??) into the NYC area by default. Yes, it is very far from Manhattan, but where else would you put it? CT/RI is separated by LI sound/Atlantic Ocean, with no bridges.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:50 AM

41 posts, read 37,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You do, of course, realize this is not a "problem" that only impacts your area right? Wherever you hit smaller markets per mile, (read listeners or viewers) in any region, anywhere in the US, the smaller region "suffers" from lack of coverage right? Forget your proposal, there is not enough money in it for anyone to seriously consider it, let alone the number of eyes and ears that would be interested in same. R.I would need LI advertiser $$ to make it even remotely feasible and that is not gonna happen.

Secondly, I know a lot of people who lived in NYC their entire life who now reside full time on the east end and your stated reason for asking this question would never occur to them, not even for a nano second. Buy yourself a good internet radio and you will be able to pull in a lot of stations from your area. I am in De. now and I listen to a lot of NY radio - if I can get it, so can you.
To clarify, yes I understand this is a problem that happens in other small TV markets. I only said I was born and raised in this one so that people wouldn't think I'm just a random person who knows nothing about this market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island